• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pat talks tough..... again.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Todays Velonation - UCI to push for four year bans for first serious doping violation
“I have asked the anti-doping department that when they review positive doping cases and prepare the dossier to go to the national federation for following up on, that the UCI will recommend to the national federation that a four year ban be given.”

So - should doping riders be worried? ... Perhaps Pat forgot he said this 3 years ago...

Cyclingnews October 2008. - UCI to introduce four-year ban in '09.
Currently the world anti-doping code gives a maximum two-year sanction in the case of a positive test. From the first of January there is a bit more flexibility in it, and we can go up to a four year ban in the cases of something regarded as willful cheating.

"In these cases [Kohl and Schumacher], considering that these guys were given the product and then went and took it for the Tour de France, it would be very much classified as willful cheating. Next year a rider in that position would face a four year ban.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if he practices in front of a mirror before he speaks in public. None of this matters because the UCI avoids busting anyone of consequence. How about we ban officials responsible for administering the bio-passport programs when riders are subsequently found to test positive through other, independent means?

Wait a minute, "willful cheating"? Was Pat suggesting doping is usually a spur of the moment kind of thing?

Anyway, Pat is so cute. There's people claiming the UCI is trying to protect Contador? Then unleash the dogs of PR and suggest a 4-year ban. No need to ever enforce it. It's like threatening to sue.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Wait a minute, "willful cheating"? Was Pat suggesting doping is usually a spur of the moment kind of thing?....

It's WADA sanctions that suggest doping is usually a spur of the moment thing.

Pat seems to have again forgotten that WADA rules state the 4 year ban can't be enforced if the athlete accepts the doping violation in a timely way. He has terrible memory lapses in this regard. Wouldn't it be fun if all the media that quoted him on the subject also quoted the relevant bits of the WADA code.......

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
I wonder if he practices in front of a mirror before he speaks in public. None of this matters because the UCI avoids busting anyone of consequence. How about we ban officials responsible for administering the bio-passport programs when riders are subsequently found to test positive through other, independent means?

Contador isn't of consequence? or if you only mean biopassport catches. Biopassport alone caught pellizotti, 3rd in the Giro, yeah what a hack no name.

The passport system needs good data to being with which is difficult to come by for now it seems to limit the cheating and can bust anyone too stupid not to monitor themselves. It needs more time to be more robust, maybe a reliable total body red cell count added to it, to catch a few more.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
I wonder if he practices in front of a mirror before he speaks in public. .....

Standing in front of a mirror precludes a view of one's sphincter, so Pat's practice sessions would involve a fair amount of twirling at quite high RPMs.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
It's WADA sanctions that suggest doping is usually a spur of the moment thing.

Pat seems to have again forgotten that WADA rules state the 4 year ban can't be enforced if the athlete accepts the doping violation in a timely way. He has terrible memory lapses in this regard. Wouldn't it be fun if all the media that quoted him on the subject also quoted the relevant bits of the WADA code.......

Are you sure that's true? I thought that it was acceptable for a sporting federation to adopt penalties and measures that were different from the WADC as long as they exceeded that specified by the WADC.

Maybe I'm wrong about that...

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
The first thing that needs to happen is Pat needs to go. I read somewhere he said something along the lines that the sport will have more credibility if people serve longer sentences.

The sport will have more credibility if Pat and his cronies disappear.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
The first thing that needs to happen is Pat needs to go. I read somewhere he said something along the lines that the sport will have more credibility if people serve longer sentences.

The sport will have more credibility if Pat and his cronies disappear.

Yeah, but to be replaced by who??

It was just a few years ago Lemond was talking about the need for an alternate governing body....and the ASO was strongly moving in that direction. Of course, none of that came to pass, and Lemond was written off as a bitter old duffer :(.

So again, who you gonna replace McQuack with?? Or should the UCI just become a dinosaur and go extinct?