• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paul Kimmage

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
He raised some great points about Sky’s terrible PR.

The wild exaggerations of Froome’s dominance in the mountains was a bit unprofessional, hate to bring the facts into a rant of that quality but one minute 16 seconds put into Quintana while the other GC guys were clearly not at their best isn’t really that much of a big wow.

And then calling for independent testing from Vayer….a guy who has a clip portraying Brailsford as Hitler on his twitter feed. Yeah, open minded.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Kimmage deserves a lot of credit for sticking to his principles when he could have easily sold out like Walsh.

There are very few journalists and especially cycling journalists that are capable of independent thinking.

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
HOW DARE AN ISLAND-DWELLER LIKE KIMMAGE ACCUSE US BRITS? ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE US!!! IT IS ALL THE OTHERS THAT CAN BE JUDGED BY PEOPLE LIKE HIM.

whether he is a hero i'm dubious, however he might be the spikiest person in the whole world. i'm not surprised sky backtraced on inviting him in. i wouldn't want to spend 10 mins in the same room as him, and i have nothing to hide.

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I like Kimmage but he is the George Galloway of cycling journalism. As with George, he's just doing his job, and I'm not sure just how much principles come into it.

Different act, same circus.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

MartinGT said:
Cycle Chic said:
Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage 14h14 hours ago

Just watched your report/review on ITV @millarmind Disappointing to see you with your hand in the cookie jar again.

I saw this tweet but didnt see the ITV show, care to share what he's talking about?

Cheers

I saw the ITV show and still don't know.

I presume it's because Millar touched on the Froome accusations pretty much saying it the likes of himself that have caused the situation. But it is unfair to the way certain media have accused a clean team and clean rider of doping

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

MartinGT said:
Cycle Chic said:

Just watched your report/review on ITV @millarmind Disappointing to see you with your hand in the cookie jar again.

I saw this tweet but didnt see the ITV show, care to share what he's talking about?

Cheers

Millar (on the Tuesday ITV4 highlights summary he does):

As an ex-doper, I'm aware I am part of Chris' problem as he and other members of Team Sky continue to pay the price for the mistakes of my own and previous generations.
But, for what it's worth, I believe Froome and his team to be clean, and I also maintain that the baseless insinuations of certain journalists and the actions of a tiny minority of fans are unworthy of our sport.
It is wrong that clean riders of today pay for the damage done by others in the past.

I absolutely despise Millar, but I don't see too much wrong with what he says there. It is a crying shame that we will never believe cycling because of cheating by previous generations. He says he believes Froome is clean; I would say it is likely he is dirty, others say they believe he is dirty.

Very few actually know. But to accuse him of having his hand in the cookie jar over that statement is prepostorous.

By the way, the Galloway comparison is a good one. However, I think that people like Kimmage are necessary. We have enough cheer leaders in the media.

If you want to have a laugh, read this article by William Fotheringham in the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/21/team-sky-data-chris-froome-tour-de-france

As I say, I think Froome is probably doping, but I completely respect those who think he is probably clean. But the article above is absolutely ludicrous. Everything Sky say is taken at face value. It is basically a cleaned up version of Kerrison's speech, masquerading as critical analysis.

Re:

barmaher said:
I absolutely despise Millar, but I don't see too much wrong with what he says there. It is a crying shame that we will never believe cycling because of cheating by previous generations. He says he believes Froome is clean; I would say it is likely he is dirty, others say they believe he is dirty.

Very few actually know. But to accuse him of having his hand in the cookie jar over that statement is prepostorous.

By the way, the Galloway comparison is a good one. However, I think that people like Kimmage are necessary. We have enough cheer leaders in the media.

If you want to have a laugh, read this article by William Fotheringham in the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/21/team-sky-data-chris-froome-tour-de-france

As I say, I think Froome is probably doping, but I completely respect those who think he is probably clean. But the article above is absolutely ludicrous. Everything Sky say is taken at face value. It is basically a cleaned up version of Kerrison's speech, masquerading as critical analysis.

Millar has his hand in the cookie jar in the sense that he is propagating the 'new clean era' myth in his role as a TV commentator. Millar is not some naive hick who actually believes what he is saying about Froome. Having been a professional from 1997-2014, I'm sure Millar understands the benefits of doping and how implausible Froome's transformation was. He knows full well that Froome is almost certainly a doper.

It should be noted that Millar has defended Contador in the past and pretended to be surpised when Vinokourov tested positive. No one with half a brain would have thought either Contador or Vinokourov were clean. Millar has continually said what he believes people want to hear in order to further his own interests. I see no reason why he won't continue to do so.

May 26, 2009
Visit site

Bronstein said:
barmaher said:

Millar has his hand in the cookie jar in the sense that he is propagating the 'new clean era' myth in his role as a TV commentator. Millar is not some naive hick who actually believes what he is saying about Froome. Having been a professional from 1997-2014, I'm sure Millar understands the benefits of doping and how implausible Froome's transformation was. He knows full well that Froome is almost certainly a doper.

It should be noted that Millar has defended Contador in the past and pretended to be surpised when Vinokourov tested positive. No one with half a brain would have thought either Contador or Vinokourov were clean. Millar has continually said what he believes people want to hear in order to further his own interests. I see no reason why he won't continue to do so.

We have a winner!!! :)

Re:

barmaher said:

And William Sloberingham is the same person who wrote all Millar's lies for years before and after he got caught, including the claim that Millar deliberately got caught which is a laughable lie.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

dottigirl said:
MartinGT said:
Cycle Chic said:

Cheers

As an ex-doper, I'm aware I am part of Chris' problem as he and other members of Team Sky continue to pay the price for the mistakes of my own and previous generations.
But, for what it's worth, I believe Froome and his team to be clean, and I also maintain that the baseless insinuations of certain journalists and the actions of a tiny minority of fans are unworthy of our sport.
It is wrong that clean riders of today pay for the damage done by others in the past.

how can anyone say Froome is riding clean when the BIOPASSPORT sham is designed to ALLOW doping? No one gets to call anyone clean without a mandatory disclaimer.

dottigirl said:
MartinGT said:
Cycle Chic said:

Cheers

"unworthy of our sport". If that's not the pot calling the kettle black.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Tommy79 said:
He raised some great points about Sky’s terrible PR.

The wild exaggerations of Froome’s dominance in the mountains was a bit unprofessional, hate to bring the facts into a rant of that quality but one minute 16 seconds put into Quintana while the other GC guys were clearly not at their best isn’t really that much of a big wow.

And then calling for independent testing from Vayer….a guy who has a clip portraying Brailsford as Hitler on his twitter feed. Yeah, open minded.

yeah, you're the same guy saying G's performance in the mountains is nothing special because "it's just one climb"

you have no platform from which to spout aspersions about exaggerations and open mindedness.

just like the Postal days, the bots are patrolling the threads and just have to chime in whenever there's a hint of criticism of Sky, even if it's as indirect as a thread complimenting Kimmage.

just look at the first 3 responses to this one.
deluded sky clowns

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Re: Paul Kimmage - Hero

BYOP88 said:
Tommy79 said:
5h1teHawk said:

Rarely have we seen someone so desperate for attention. Possibly Millar. Must be an ex-doper thing.

Don't think it's just an ex-doper thing. Wiggins seems desperate for attention.

The way our press fawn on him he's never had to go looking for it.

TRENDING THREADS