• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Paul Kimmage

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Re:

the delgados said:
@Benotti:
I've always had a huge amount of respect for Kimmage ever since I read Rough Ride when it was published.
He knows how to tell a good story, which is why I'd read his profiles of athletes from sports I'd barely heard of.
But I'm going to have to take issue with your claim that he's doing his job well with regard to the Vroomster.
I listened to the interview posted a few days ago, and I was disappointed to learn he had no clue how to interpret the numbers presented in the press conference. Seems to me that most posters in the clinic knows more about the science of sport than Kimmage. That's not good reporting. That's just muckraking.
That said, I don't doubt what he's saying. But he should be able to back it up by taking the time to learn about the numbers presented by Sky in the rest day press conference.
Well if you read his article with Froome, then you would see he managed to make the Froome's contradict each other and spell it out themselves. After that Kimmage didn't need to understand the data. But yes, i do agree he should get someone out there (Ross Tucker) to explain it and then he will really be able to tear Sky, Froome, Wiggins et al a new one.
 
Jun 17, 2009
19
0
0
Re:

the delgados said:
@Benotti:
I've always had a huge amount of respect for Kimmage ever since I read Rough Ride when it was published.
He knows how to tell a good story, which is why I'd read his profiles of athletes from sports I'd barely heard of.
But I'm going to have to take issue with your claim that he's doing his job well with regard to the Vroomster.
I listened to the interview posted a few days ago, and I was disappointed to learn he had no clue how to interpret the numbers presented in the press conference. Seems to me that most posters in the clinic knows more about the science of sport than Kimmage. That's not good reporting. That's just muckraking.
That said, I don't doubt what he's saying. But he should be able to back it up by taking the time to learn about the numbers presented by Sky in the rest day press conference.
Kimmage is a strange mixture of crusader, self-appointed moral authority, and attention seeker. For all the good he has done, he has this weakness for always putting himself at the centre of the story.
You are right, that is sloppy journalism to dismiss the science behind performances. But it goes to the root of his problem. If he "thinks" something is wrong, then he don't need any more proof. Because his "shock" is more important than numbers. Now, I am also of the same opinion as him but I ain't a journalist.
 
Nov 5, 2013
1,952
0
0
Re:

the delgados said:
@Benotti:
I've always had a huge amount of respect for Kimmage ever since I read Rough Ride when it was published.
He knows how to tell a good story, which is why I'd read his profiles of athletes from sports I'd barely heard of.
But I'm going to have to take issue with your claim that he's doing his job well with regard to the Vroomster.
I listened to the interview posted a few days ago, and I was disappointed to learn he had no clue how to interpret the numbers presented in the press conference. Seems to me that most posters in the clinic knows more about the science of sport than Kimmage. That's not good reporting. That's just muckraking.
That said, I don't doubt what he's saying. But he should be able to back it up by taking the time to learn about the numbers presented by Sky in the rest day press conference.
Did you listen to the Off The Ball interview with David " can you pay for my dinner Mr. Brailsford" Walsh?...Uh, it was incredibly embarrassing to hear a "journalist" who used performance data to accuse and then investigate Lance Armstrong, to then claim that he has no idea how those training number thingies work...played completely stupid as to those numbers...

That's not good reporting. That's just PR bullsh!t.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Re: Re:

Wicklow200 said:
the delgados said:
@Benotti:
I've always had a huge amount of respect for Kimmage ever since I read Rough Ride when it was published.
He knows how to tell a good story, which is why I'd read his profiles of athletes from sports I'd barely heard of.
But I'm going to have to take issue with your claim that he's doing his job well with regard to the Vroomster.
I listened to the interview posted a few days ago, and I was disappointed to learn he had no clue how to interpret the numbers presented in the press conference. Seems to me that most posters in the clinic knows more about the science of sport than Kimmage. That's not good reporting. That's just muckraking.
That said, I don't doubt what he's saying. But he should be able to back it up by taking the time to learn about the numbers presented by Sky in the rest day press conference.
Kimmage is a strange mixture of crusader, self-appointed moral authority, and attention seeker. For all the good he has done, he has this weakness for always putting himself at the centre of the story.
You are right, that is sloppy journalism to dismiss the science behind performances. But it goes to the root of his problem. If he "thinks" something is wrong, then he don't need any more proof. Because his "shock" is more important than numbers. Now, I am also of the same opinion as him but I ain't a journalist.
I can understand why some might see him as the above, but i sure dont. Are all athletes not attention seeking? Kimmage is a former athlete and while he doesn't shirk any attention, he sure could get a hell of a lot more attention if he so wished.

Self appointed moral authority, hmmm that is definitely from the McQuaid side of Irish cycling and boy those guys wouldn't know morality if it bit them!

Crusade, he is a journalist and one with integrity. It would be easy to be sports journalist and ignore the dark side, but he doesn't. Take balls to not be a dead fish and to swim against the flow......
 
Re:

the delgados said:
@Benotti:
I've always had a huge amount of respect for Kimmage ever since I read Rough Ride when it was published.
He knows how to tell a good story, which is why I'd read his profiles of athletes from sports I'd barely heard of.
But I'm going to have to take issue with your claim that he's doing his job well with regard to the Vroomster.
I listened to the interview posted a few days ago, and I was disappointed to learn he had no clue how to interpret the numbers presented in the press conference. Seems to me that most posters in the clinic knows more about the science of sport than Kimmage. That's not good reporting. That's just muckraking.
That said, I don't doubt what he's saying. But he should be able to back it up by taking the time to learn about the numbers presented by Sky in the rest day press conference.
Kimmage doesn't need to back up what he's saying with numbers because he's not attacking Froome on the numbers. He's attacking him on hypocricy.
 
Dec 9, 2011
374
0
0
Re: Paul Kimmage - Hero

I dont think Kimmage has ever highlighted Froome as dirty. Hes the best sports journilist about. His articles are amazing. He presents the facts to you and lets you make your own mind up. David Walsh was a hero of mine but in terms of reading what they write their is no contest. Kimmage is the best. Possibly of all time
 
Jul 17, 2015
466
0
0
To be fair Walsh was the better investigative journalist, by a long way. Kimmage piggy-backed off of Walsh's work. He did the press-conference ranting and got himself noticed. Walsh took the risks and did the work.

Walsh has clearly changed tack with his hagiography, but Kimmage hasn't progressed the debate at all. He's completely failed to put anything of substance on the table. I think anybody could have done what Kimmage has done, and I think somebody with more intelligence would have done it better.

Kimmage is the world's biggest loser for getting the Sky gig but then blowing it by being a thick blowhard. If he'd used his brain he could have got right in to the Sky camp.
 
Re:

poupou said:
If he had'nt used his brain he could be in bed with Sky!
Ha! True that.
Imagine Kimmage spending a few weeks with Sky and having nothing to say but he didn't see anything and everyone lived happily ever after.
Of course he's not going to see anything. The whole exercise would have served no purpose other than keeping him cooped up and preventing him from sniffing his nose around elsewhere.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Re:

wendybnt said:
To be fair Walsh was the better investigative journalist, by a long way. Kimmage piggy-backed off of Walsh's work. He did the press-conference ranting and got himself noticed. Walsh took the risks and did the work.

Walsh has clearly changed tack with his hagiography, but Kimmage hasn't progressed the debate at all. He's completely failed to put anything of substance on the table. I think anybody could have done what Kimmage has done, and I think somebody with more intelligence would have done it better.

Kimmage is the world's biggest loser for getting the Sky gig but then blowing it by being a thick blowhard. If he'd used his brain he could have got right in to the Sky camp.
Kimmage backed away from cycling. Walsh kept on covering it. Hence Walsh was the guy who got the inside track on Armstrong.

Kimmage was an untouchable within the sport. Walsh was viewed differently.

Kimmage was busy in other sports.

I think Kimmage has furthered the debate. If not for Kimmage, Ross Tucker and Antoine Vayer would not have been heard on Irish radio.

I suggest calling Kimmage a 'thick blowhard' is a compliment from a diehard skyfan.

Kimmage was never going to get truly inside Sky. They refused him in 2012 after it had all been set up for him to be with them.

Walsh is a sky puppet. that is so obvious.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,307
1
0
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
wendybnt said:
To be fair Walsh was the better investigative journalist, by a long way. Kimmage piggy-backed off of Walsh's work. He did the press-conference ranting and got himself noticed. Walsh took the risks and did the work.

Walsh has clearly changed tack with his hagiography, but Kimmage hasn't progressed the debate at all. He's completely failed to put anything of substance on the table. I think anybody could have done what Kimmage has done, and I think somebody with more intelligence would have done it better.

Kimmage is the world's biggest loser for getting the Sky gig but then blowing it by being a thick blowhard. If he'd used his brain he could have got right in to the Sky camp.
Kimmage backed away from cycling. Walsh kept on covering it. Hence Walsh was the guy who got the inside track on Armstrong.

Kimmage was an untouchable within the sport. Walsh was viewed differently.

Kimmage was busy in other sports.

I think Kimmage has furthered the debate. If not for Kimmage, Ross Tucker and Antoine Vayer would not have been heard on Irish radio.

I suggest calling Kimmage a 'thick blowhard' is a compliment from a diehard skyfan.

Kimmage was never going to get truly inside Sky. They refused him in 2012 after it had all been set up for him to be with them.

Walsh is a sky puppet. that is so obvious.
So true. What ever happened to reporting? FishHack and Sky Homer.
 
Jul 17, 2015
466
0
0
A diehard Skyfan? If you are referring to me you are badly mistaken.

Not that there is any shame in being a Sky fan...or at least the same shame as being a Movistar fan or an Astana fan or a Saxo fan or a....

As for Kimmage and getting Vayer onto Irish radio :D. Really :D Is there any bigger back water out there than Irish radio?

You are wrong about Kimmage blowing the Sky embed. He hasn't learnt any more about Sky by not having spent weeks in their camp.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Re:

wendybnt said:
A diehard Skyfan? If you are referring to me you are badly mistaken.

As for Kimmage and getting Vayer onto Irish radio :D. Really :D Is there any bigger back water out there than Irish radio?

You are wrong about Kimmage blowing the Sky embed. He hasn't learnt any more about Sky by not having spent weeks in their camp.
Slamming Kimmage is so sky fanish :D Really :D

Kimmage is not a cycling journalist. He works for a paper where he has to write about other topics. Backwater Ireland doesn't have a big appetite for pro cycling at present.

As for finding anything out about Sky? What you think Sky would show him the vials of epo, aicar, gw1516, hgh etc get real

Backwater Irish Radio contributed to the end of McQuaid's presidency, if you really knew more about cycling than what sky tell you

:D
 
Jul 17, 2015
466
0
0
Oh I get it. You are the resident under-the-bridge merchant

Sorry, not taking the bait sunshine
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Re:

wendybnt said:
Oh I get it. You are the resident under-the-bridge merchant

Sorry, not taking the bait sunshine
No :D really :D i am the take you to task for posting silly stuff :D really :D

Nice to see you debunk my backwater Irish radio who contributed to Cycling Ireland dumping McQuaid. :rolleyes:
 
@wendybnt:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you taking blackcat to task in another thread for what I would say were false accusations of nationalism/jingoism?
If so, what's up with the Irish radio back water insinuation?
 
Oct 25, 2012
268
0
0
Re:

wendybnt said:
As for Kimmage and getting Vayer onto Irish radio :D. Really :D Is there any bigger back water out there than Irish radio?
hello Wendy, can you please explain what you have against Ireland and/or Irish radio that would cause you to make a borderline xenophobic comment such as this?

Do you have extensive knowledge/experience of Ireland and its media? If so, can you please elaborate?

thanks.
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
Kimmage backed away from cycling. Walsh kept on covering it. Hence Walsh was the guy who got the inside track on Armstrong.

Kimmage was an untouchable within the sport. Walsh was viewed differently.

Kimmage was busy in other sports.

I think Kimmage has furthered the debate. If not for Kimmage, Ross Tucker and Antoine Vayer would not have been heard on Irish radio.

I suggest calling Kimmage a 'thick blowhard' is a compliment from a diehard skyfan.

Kimmage was never going to get truly inside Sky. They refused him in 2012 after it had all been set up for him to be with them.

Walsh is a sky puppet. that is so obvious.
IIRC Wiggins didn't want him there until after the first TT. For Kimmage it was the whole Tour or nothing
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
I guess then Vayer brings balance to the joke that is Kerrison (who Froome claims to only have seen twice in 2013) and giving Sky numbers to the guy who pronounced Armstrong clean!

But Antoine Vayer is a working Sports Scientist, just like Kerrison.

Sky fans want it all ways.
I thought he worked as a PE teacher at a girls college in Plerin?
 
Mar 31, 2015
153
0
0
Last time I looked at Vayer's twitter feed it included a video portraying Brailsford as Hitler.

No right thinking person could blame Sky for ignoring him.
 
Mar 31, 2015
153
0
0
Re: Re:

hrotha said:
Tommy79 said:
Last time I looked at Vayer's twitter feed it included a video portraying Brailsford as Hitler.

No right thinking person could blame Sky for ignoring him.
Are you new to the internet
I am aware of the large volume on non right thinking people on the internet yes.
 
Feb 22, 2014
429
0
0
Re: Re:

TheSpud said:
Benotti69 said:
I guess then Vayer brings balance to the joke that is Kerrison (who Froome claims to only have seen twice in 2013) and giving Sky numbers to the guy who pronounced Armstrong clean!

But Antoine Vayer is a working Sports Scientist, just like Kerrison.

Sky fans want it all ways.
I thought he worked as a PE teacher at a girls college in Plerin?
Yeah. Kerrison knows nothing about cycling and has only worked for a pro Team for handful of years. It's unclear what pro teams Vayer has been with since Festina in 1998 but there's clearly no comparison. One guy is marinated in the doping culture of the sport. The other, fighting to clean it up.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts