• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paul Kimmage

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

gillan1969 said:
cnc-it said:
Sky don't have someone else's data because other teams have not released that sort of information to the public.

Technical secrets as I called them are kept "secret" so as not to give other teams an unfair advantage..it is competition after all..Sky hired Tim Kerrison because they thought it would give them the extra edge..he won't be coming to them cheap so why should they let anyone else benefit from that for free effectively...it's the basic principles of running a team in any sport no matter if they are clean or doping.

so....armed with the fact that Lemond's VO2 max was 96 would mean any tom, **** or harry that passed through a team's door could beat him?

good work.......

No but if you have a rider with a similar V02 max to Lemond (you're example) a team can train him more scientifically and get better results...how a team does this is their competitive edge and no one else's.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site

cnc-it said:
No but if you have a rider with a similar V02 max to Lemond (you're example) a team can train him more scientifically and get better results...how a team does this is their competitive edge and no one else's.
Probably. But do you believe that 80's Science was far behind today's? We don't have to dismiss the fact that "better Science" argument is today use to hide doping.
What was the state of physiology in the 80's? What have we discover since?

And whos is the rider similar to Lemond?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au

cnc-it said:
gillan1969 said:
cnc-it said:
Sky don't have someone else's data because other teams have not released that sort of information to the public.

Technical secrets as I called them are kept "secret" so as not to give other teams an unfair advantage..it is competition after all..Sky hired Tim Kerrison because they thought it would give them the extra edge..he won't be coming to them cheap so why should they let anyone else benefit from that for free effectively...it's the basic principles of running a team in any sport no matter if they are clean or doping.

so....armed with the fact that Lemond's VO2 max was 96 would mean any tom, **** or harry that passed through a team's door could beat him?

good work.......

The only issue with the scientific training claim is cycling is very simple. Cadence range, incline range, effort duration range.

That's pretty much it.

The way the body works has not changed.

The duration and incline range hasn't changed; they still race the same distance prologs / TTs and the same mountains, over the same distance stages.

So you can change your cadence.

Big deal.

In 2012 reverse periodisation was the lie perpetuated to explain a 6 month peak from Wiggo. Funny how they can't / don't do that any more. Noone has performed at the level Wiggo did that year since. Sure, Valverde has more points, but his example as a higher ranked CQ points rider than Froome makes a mockery of any claim to superior scientific training.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Robert21 said:
Yes that's one team..can't see any others queuing up to give data away.

Including Sky, the one team who claimed that they were going to be 'open' about everything that they do...
When you have the data for one team, like for instance Vayer has on AG2R, you have the rest too, it isnt a very difficult math sum to do...

Even friggin Movistar/Valverde released data in 2013...

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

Dear Wiggo said:
In 2012 reverse periodisation was the lie perpetuated to explain a 6 month peak from Wiggo. Funny how they can't / don't do that any more. Noone has performed at the level Wiggo did that year since. Sure, Valverde has more points, but his example as a higher ranked CQ points rider than Froome makes a mockery of any claim to superior scientific training.

Just out of interest, what are you defining as 'performance'? Is it power data? Or is it racing success? Because if it is the latter then it is skewed by all sorts of other factors not least the absence of Contador in 2012 (or at least up until August 5)

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

Robert21 said:
Yes that's one team..can't see any others queuing up to give data away.

Including Sky, the one team who claimed that they were going to be 'open' about everything that they do...

Yep. The clever thing about Sky's promise to be 'open and transparent' was that they never defined what they meant by being open and transparent ;)

Maybe it just meant saying 'we don't dope" :D

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au

wendybnt said:
Dear Wiggo said:

Just out of interest, what are you defining as 'performance'? Is it power data? Or is it racing success? Because if it is the latter then it is skewed by all sorts of other factors not least the absence of Contador in 2012 (or at least up until August 5)

Dr Mas would be proud of your attempt to vortex away from the point: reverse periodisation was touted as the new black when it comes to peaking for 6 months at a time, resulting in Wiggo winning every multi-stag race he entered and winning every TT (not prolog) he entered in 2012.

Scientific training claims, like reverse periodisation, Tim Kerrison and Chris Carmichael are all smoke screens.

cnc-it said:
gillan1969 said:
cnc-it said:

good work.......

Froome is at the "boundaries of human physiology"...there are no others like him...not just in this peloton but in any sport ever in the history of sports as we have measured them...you seem therefore to be suggesting they, SKY, are worried about someone with a hilman imp turning up at an F1 race and Ferrari (no, not that Ferrari) being scared to show them what's under the bonnet......

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

Dear Wiggo said:
wendybnt said:
Dear Wiggo said:

Dr Mas would be proud of your attempt to vortex away from the point: reverse periodisation was touted as the new black when it comes to peaking for 6 months at a time, resulting in Wiggo winning every multi-stag race he entered and winning every TT (not prolog) he entered in 2012.

Scientific training claims, like reverse periodisation, Tim Kerrison and Chris Carmichael are all smoke screens.

Err....rather than just babbling about people neither I (nor google) have heard of, why don't you just have a good-natured go at answering my question? x

May 26, 2010
Visit site

wendybnt said:
Dear Wiggo said:

Wiggins can only beat what turns up. But if Contador is the bench mark and a known doper, then what do you expect of Wiggins, cleanliness? Hardly?

Does that "ask your question?"

SKy fans love to introduce Contador as if it somehow makes sky look clean. It doesn't.

Open and transparent doesn't equal "we don't dope". Fail.

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure Dear Wiggo would prefer to answer himself, rather than have you do it for him, especially since you haven't answered the question I asked him.

Ta.

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Btw Le Mond wasn't my example but as someone brought him up I would say that his method of preparing for the Tour was hardly scientific..battle through the Giro and hope for the best..not really a tailored scientific training program like they are using at Sky! If Froome is the phenomenon he is supposed to be then it's quite feasible he can better Le Mond's performances with a modern scientific training approach! An approach that Sky don't want to give away to the public and press even though Paul Kimmage has suggested they should do.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

cnc-it said:
Btw Le Mond wasn't my example but as someone brought him up I would say that his method of preparing for the Tour was hardly scientific..battle through the Giro and hope for the best..not really a tailored scientific training program like they are using at Sky! If Froome is the phenomenon he is supposed to be then it's quite feasible he can better Le Mond's performances with a modern scientific training approach! An approach that Sky don't want to give away to the public and press even though Paul Kimmage has suggested they should do.

We dont know what sky do. They talk a lot of crap. They slam other teams as amateurs through Walsh as their mouthpiece. Sky have told plenty of lies that we know of.

I would not think that because Sky say they do something it makes a difference.

But to dismiss LeMonds training as basic is unfair. LeMond paid attention to lots of stuff at his time. LeMond was an innovator when he raced. I guess he paid attention to all aspects of his racing, not just some fancy handlebars, but nutrition, training etc....

The only difference in Sky's approach, imo, than other teams is they have the cash to look better, but behind the facade, they pretty much the same as every other team.

Remember year 1 for Sky when they were the lantern rouge of the peloton? What was the reaction? Get experience people from the world of pro cycling in, Leinders, Yates, Knaven, DeJongh, Jullich, Rogers etc etc. So when they could not do it their way, they went old school. Not seen anything different in Sky's approach, except they control the Brit media.

Rest of the world knows Froome is a doper and Sky are a doping team.

Re:

cnc-it said:

If it were actually true that Froome was some sort of Lemond-like power producer, then he'd have all kinds of competitor's-souls-destroyed-coming-in-minutes-ahead results at lower ranked races. There were none. Zero.

End.

I'm all for more data. It will validate the estimates already being done.

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

DirtyWorks said:
cnc-it said:

If it were actually true that Froome was some sort of Lemond-like power producer, then he'd have all kinds of competitor's-souls-destroyed-coming-in-minutes-ahead results at lower ranked races. There were none. Zero.

End.

I'm all for more data. It will validate the estimates already being done.

Froome does have similar power out put to Le Mond...415-430 watts average for Le Mond in a time trial, Froome's average watts are similar over the same distance I think?

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
Yeah sure now. But before?

lolnope.

#NotNormal

Well yes but before Le Mond won his second Tour he had no form until the last time trial in the Giro..he didn't look like a champ at all during the race...things can change quickly in cycling..not commenting on Froome's credibility here just saying things aren't always clear cut...

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

cnc-it said:
Dear Wiggo said:
Yeah sure now. But before?

lolnope.

#NotNormal

Well yes but before Le Mond won his second Tour he had no form until the last time trial in the Giro..he didn't look like a champ at all during the race...things can change quickly in cycling..not commenting on Froome's credibility here just saying things aren't always clear cut...
Surely you're kidding? LeMond was a star from the moment he started competing as a teenager.

TRENDING THREADS