• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Payments to Horner from LA?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Seriously, Lance must be paying Horner some big money to spurt out the crap he has said in the media recently.
For example
"Ten years from now, I'll be disappointed that we didn't win an eighth Tour de France with Lance. It would have been a special moment," Horner said. "Finishing top 10 is cool. I love it. But to say you're on the team on which Lance won his eighth Tour de France would be one step above.

"When I was training with Lance in Aspen before the Tour last year, we talked about having a new team and that I'd be on it, and going to the Tour and helping him win it. So when you see he's crashed, it rocks everything that you've been focusing on for the whole year. For me it was kind of devastating,"

Lance has already won 7 tours Chris and you would take back your own success or anyone elses success for Lance?

It was also quite amusing to see how ****ed off he was about the cobbled stage when the day before that lance was the best rider on cobbles. Then after the morzine stage he tears up and walks away from an interview because he was so emotional that Lance crashed.

Either get a grip horner or well done as you put some good acting skills especially with the fake cry to make it look real.

So how much more money is LA paying horner to spurt out the rubbish.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I think he's ****ed off that LA has rode of into the sunset without winning. And the chances of Horner getting the big bucks for the last year or 2 of his career gone down the swally......might as well attemp a 'LA' Hollywood movie moment when the iron is hot. :D

He's still got a way to go before he takes the 2010 Sycophant Award away from Tiago Machado though. That whole "I was the best rider here today but if my team leader had been here I would have been second", or "It was a great stage for me, I was only beaten by [Contador], who is the second best rider in the world. The best is my team leader"

These are paraphrasing, but by god were they cringeworthy.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
He's still got a way to go before he takes the 2010 Sycophant Award away from Tiago Machado though. That whole "I was the best rider here today but if my team leader had been here I would have been second", or "It was a great stage for me, I was only beaten by [Contador], who is the second best rider in the world. The best is my team leader"

These are paraphrasing, but by god were they cringeworthy.

........but LA likes to be surronded by yes men. Siempre.

Horner is a sell-out-the same Horner that prior to service Astana, was so outspoken about LA & Bruyneel's tactics for winning tours- and guess which team's he ended up being part of...and glorifying them with endless load of bvllsh!t like that stupid statement..... & did I mention he was b!tch!ng like a b!tch & threatening Bruyneel he would quit the team & seek for a team when he wasn't selected for last year's Tour? what a two-faced fvck

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Horner and Armstrong are the Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga of cycling. They make way more money off the bike than they do on it. Horner has had some good results this year and his getting a Phd in self promotion from the king himself. All kinds of talented kids setting records but US cycling is captivated with a couple of almost 40 year olds in the other kind of twilight. If Horner is getting payola from Lance more power to him..Horner better get his sales clothes on so he can be a rep for Sram or Trek..He can always be a guest host at one of the ride with the pros cycling camps popping up. There has to be some yard work in Aspen at Lance Ranch

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
With first place earning 450.000* and 10th earning 3.800 i think there's more to Horner's words than being a sycophant (not to mention the bonuses?)

*Yes, i know that Lance doesn't have a reputation of sharing the wealth...

UCI begs to differ.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
He did hint that he should lead the team next year.

other than the above speculation he modestly knows he could have laid the wood to anyone on the Shack this year.

like his days with Evans he was the strongest on the team then

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Horner's real crime on these forums is daring to say publically that he supported Lance.

How dare he publicly support a man that so many on here hate. He obviously has no idea of how to play the CN Forum game! Doesn't he realise that you aren't allowed to be friends with Lance and actually verbalise your support for him?

How ridiculous and sycophantic of him to suggest that one of his goals was to support Lance in his quest to win the race, just because he was the team leader. Also what a loser he is to suggest that he would have rather sacrificed his own ambitions in order to try and realise the teams goals. Does he think cycling is a team sport??:eek:

SpartacusRox said:
Horner's real crime on these forums is daring to say publically that he supported Lance.

How dare he publicly support a man that so many on here hate. He obviously has no idea of how to play the CN Forum game! Doesn't he realise that you aren't allowed to be friends with Lance and actually verbalise your support for him?

How ridiculous and sycophantic of him to suggest that one of his goals was to support Lance in his quest to win the race, just because he was the team leader. Also what a loser he is to suggest that he would have rather sacrificed his own ambitions in order to try and realise the teams goals. Does he think cycling is a team sport??:eek:

Well written post! The guy was just doing his job, the one he was paid to do. Can't the fellowship of the miserable on this forum ever remove LA from the equation and take Horner at his word? I don't care what he has said in the past, this is what he said today. I wouldn't want to do a group ride with most of you let alone race on the same team.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
Yep you can see that by his top ten finish in the TdF, a real wash up.

But better a has been that a 'never was' eh?:rolleyes:

What? Horner is a cool dude. Cycling is cycling and Chris has done well for himself. If Chris was the strongest in the TdF and he waited and helped he is a team player. Nothing wrong with that. 8 for Lance would have been awesome. Get a grip haters. i know I know on any given Saturday group ride you haters could stomp Horner Lance Levi Kloeden pero you all carry large suitcases full of courage oh yeah! I like the guys on this forum who say they have beaten Lance. Chaepaue to them all the dreamweavers!

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Horners statements

What Mr. Horners statements prove is that OMERTA is alive and well within the peloton.
what a disgrace to the sport...

@Mr Horner.... please just retire like your buddy LA.

Horner's been my favorite American rider for about the last 7-8 years. My take:

He messed up his first go-round in Europe years ago(FdJ) and then spent the next several years as top dog on the US domestic scene. He was making a decent living but he's got 3 kids and knows his years to make money on the bike are limited and he sees guys less talented than he is making more money overseas. He's also a competitor and he's won almost everything there is to win in the US and would like to see how he matches up against the best. To top it off, his teammate is being courted by Euro squads and being touted by the American press as "the next LA".

So he decides to go back to Europe but the bigger Euro squads are wary of his FdJ days. By all rights he should get a call from USPS/Disco but he hasn't exactly said flattering things about LA and those guys over the years. He takes a pay cut at Saunier Duval and hopes his results will lead him to the big contracts later but he also begins to work on his relationship with the Lance crew because he sees that as the way for him to make some real money in the sport both before and after retirement. I see him still doing that.

I still enjoy watching the guy race and listening to him talk about races and tactics as he seems to enjoy that more than just about anyone but I have to admit that I haven't enjoyed his time under the Lance/JB umbrella. I miss the old Horner.

TRENDING THREADS