• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pedro Horrillo ends his career

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
See topic.

Pedro couldn't get fully recovered from his fall in the Giro and has decided to stop.
Sad news.

I hope he keeps writing.

A

Anonymous

A shame for him.. I wonder if at 35, after nearly a year off, if mentally there would have been problems with giving it his all again.. That was one nasty bump..

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:
See topic.

Pedro couldn't get fully recovered from his fall in the Giro and has decided to stop.
Sad news.

I hope he keeps writing.

One of the downsides of professional sport is not always having the ability retire on one's own terms.

He seems like a very bright guy. I hope he finds peace with his situation and wish him luck with the nexts stage of his life.

That's a shame, I was hoping that he would be able to resume riding this year even on a reduced schedule. That being said, I'm just glad that he was able to be able to ride a bike again after that horrific crash at the Giro.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
God Bless him. 240 ft. over the edge, and down.... and he's still amongst us!
Being a survivor of an ordeal that he experienced is more traumatic than many of us realize. When he's ready to continue, I wish him all the best. But right now, he is doing just what he needs to do, taking it one step at a time.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, just read that news too. Would have loved to see the day that Horillo got his comeback victory in a continental team race, like Reus this year.

Of course it is sad that someone is forced into career retirement like this. But at least he's there to enjoy a different path. Luckiest escape of 2009.

And Rabobank can be complemented enough for the way they stand by these crash victims.

"ride" had a nice piece on Pedro in their 3rd quarter issue. Published both the McQuaid and Mr. Adams letters. Whatever he does I hope he doesn't stop writing, it's nice to read an honest perspective on pro cycling's issues.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
pedro has been a favorite for some time,i was actually nervous the first time i spoke to him, and im twice his age, haha
he was generous and elegant, it was a pleasure
he is wicked smart and his writing has always been excellent
im sure the kids and wife will appreciate him around more
and hopefully we will all be able to enjoy his acute insight into the sport we all love.............buena suerte Pedro,no te desapareces

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
That crash was horrific and, whilst I'll miss him in the peloton, the fact that he made the recovery he has is great news. I hope he continues to write and it would be great to see him involved in the sport in some capacity. Whatever he does, my best wishes to him

cineteq said:
It's not sad at all.
He' just 35, and alive.
There are plenty of things he can do.

Yea, as a musician, If I suffered a horrible accident that left me deaf and unable to continue the job of my dreams that I had worked my whole life to get to, I am sure I would just be saying to myself "Self, there are plenty of things I can do. Maybe take up a trade or get into a cozy little restaurant somewhere".

Mathew said:
Yea, as a musician, If I suffered a horrible accident that left me deaf and unable to continue the job of my dreams that I had worked my whole life to get to, I am sure I would just be saying to myself "Self, there are plenty of things I can do. Maybe take up a trade or get into a cozy little restaurant somewhere".
This is what Pedro said:

Cuando me dieron el alta del hospital, ser profesional era algo muy lejano, con el tiempo se ha ido acercando y a partir de octubre vi una evolución tan clara que me empecé a animar y ver que era posible. He tenido que cerrar esta puerta, pero para nada es una frustración ni algo negativo. Después de cómo estaba, sólo poder valorar seguir ha sido una victoria, casi como haberlo conseguido

TRENDING THREADS