• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Petacchi Stays Silent

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
According to danish online newspapers, his lawyer insists that Petacchi wanted to talk, but that he strongly advised him not to....hard to interpret methinks...

euanli said:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/ticker/hub/cycling/index.html?item=2412909

Not the actions of a man who wants to appear innocent that is for sure. Hmm.

If you accept the arguably reasonable premise that none of them are innocent, then the issue isn't whether he is innocent, but whether the authorities can prove he is guilty. So of course his best tack is to remain silent.

They need to stop pretending and lying. Just stay silent and hope the case can't be proven.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
You mean if he said something the authorities would have said OK you're right and dropped matters. How often does that work when one gets pulled over driving? Why should he waste his breath and then deal with the "methinks the lady doth protest too much" line of commentary.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
OneRaceWonder said:
According to danish online newspapers, his lawyer insists that Petacchi wanted to talk, but that he strongly advised him not to....hard to interpret methinks...

Of cause his lawyer said that. His lawyer knows perfectly well that reasonable people might interpret him exercising his right not to incriminate himself as indicating he's done something incriminating. He's trying to protect Pattachi from that rather obvious inference by claiming that Pettachi wanted to cooperate.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
The CN article notes Petacchi would get a 2-year ban. Confused, as didn't he already have an band for the inhaler? If so, wouldn't a second offense be 8 years?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hairy Wheels said:
I'd accept that, if I thought Cav was any cleaner than Petacchi.

Wasn't Cav the first guy to sign up with some UCI anti-doping charter oath? I think it was the one Bettini kept refusing to sign b/c he didn't want to forfeit salary or twhtever.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
what does happen if petacchi is banned? will he lose the green jersey? and if he does i guess that no on would be awarded it... like kohl in the kom in 2008..... if they removed all his results from the sprints would thor catch up enough to be the leader of the green jersey again? that would be quite funny :S

May 19, 2010
Visit site
palmerq said:
what does happen if petacchi is banned? will he lose the green jersey? and if he does i guess that no on would be awarded it... like kohl in the kom in 2008..... if they removed all his results from the sprints would thor catch up enough to be the leader of the green jersey again? that would be quite funny :S

If they remove all Petacchis results and give the points to the next riders this happens to the points of Hushovd and Cavendish, according to my calculations:

Prolouge
No change.

Stage 1
Hushovd + 4 points

Stage 2:
No change.

Stage 3:
No change.

Stage 4:
Hushovd: + 1 point
Cavendish: + 1 point

Stage 5:
No change.

Stage 6:
Hushovd + 1 point

Stage 7:
No change.

Stage 8:
No change.

Stage 9:
No change.

Stage 10:
Sprint 1 - La Buissiere: Hushovd + 2 points (If Cavendish was 4th. he'll get + 2 points too, I don't know who was 4th?)
Gap: Hushovd: + 1 point

Stage 11:
Hushovd + 1 point

Stage 12:
No change.

Stage 13:
Hushovd + 1 point

Stage 14:
No change.

Stage 15:
No change.

Stage 16:
No change.

Stage 17:
No change.

Stage 18:
Hushovd + 1 point

Stage 19:
No change.

Stage 20:
Hushovd + 1 point

Hushovd: + 13 extra points = 235 points
Cavendish: + 1 extra point = 233 points

I don't know what happend in the first intermediate sprint on stage 10. If Cavendish was 4th he will be entitled to two points more. But as he didn't win (or was 2 or 3 either) this intermediate sprint I suppose he didn't sprint at all there?

I guess this looks much like the Kohl situation = if Petacchi loses the jersey, it doesn't get awarded to anyone?

Wow, now I know how a Lance Fanboy feels! haha, just kidding.

Having raced for an Italian team whose members had almost all had previous run-ins with the NAS, and having testified in a case in Toscana last summer, just because someone says you doped in Italy, doesn't mean that you did - especially when the police raid your home and come-up...emp-tyyyy!

That said, if it's an oil-for-drugs-type situation and Ale-Jet is caught on-camera or audio asking for the "Benzina" from a known doping-doctor, I won't try to stop the mob from lynching him.

In fact, I'd like to use this sad moment as a learning lesson for the head-in-the-sand die-hard Lance fanboys: Ale-Jet is one of my most favorite riders and a nice guy to boot (his wife, mehhhh, not so much). I think he got a raw deal on the salbutamol case and shouldn't have been banned. Nearly ending someone's career for using too much salbutamol, which is all but ineffective in comparison to blood-doping, is beat. But if this time the NAS can show he was really using PFC and then trying to alter his blood volume to mask previous manipulations, well...as unpleasant as it would be, I'd support his life ban for a second doping infraction.

Nice guys dope right alongside sociopaths, but in the end, both should be held accountable

That includes forum posters. Someone made a comment along the lines of, "I knew it was too good to be true, he was always up there." Where? In the sprints? Sheesh, it's not like he was alongside Nico Roche when the guy flatted and Gadret flicked him.

He's a sprinter. Of course he's supposed to be in the front for each bunch finish. Why would Lampre pay him if he couldn't manage that?

joe_papp said:
Wow, now I know how a Lance Fanboy feels! haha, just kidding.

Having raced for an Italian team whose members had almost all had previous run-ins with the NAS, and having testified in a case in Toscana last summer, just because someone says you doped in Italy, doesn't mean that you did - especially when the police raid your home and come-up...emp-tyyyy!

That said, if it's an oil-for-drugs-type situation and Ale-Jet is caught on-camera or audio asking for the "Benzina" from a known doping-doctor, I won't try to stop the mob from lynching him.

In fact, I'd like to use this sad moment as a learning lesson for the head-in-the-sand die-hard Lance fanboys: Ale-Jet is one of my most favorite riders and a nice guy to boot (his wife, mehhhh, not so much). I think he got a raw deal on the salbutamol case and shouldn't have been banned. Nearly ending someone's career for using too much salbutamol, which is all but ineffective in comparison to blood-doping, is beat. But if this time the NAS can show he was really using PFC and then trying to alter his blood volume to mask previous manipulations, well...as unpleasant as it would be, I'd support his life ban for a second doping infraction.

Nice guys dope right alongside sociopaths, but in the end, both should be held accountable

That includes forum posters. Someone made a comment along the lines of, "I knew it was too good to be true, he was always up there." Where? In the sprints? Sheesh, it's not like he was alongside Nico Roche when the guy flatted and Gadret flicked him.

He's a sprinter. Of course he's supposed to be in the front for each bunch finish. Why would Lampre pay him if he couldn't manage that?

after reading your posts I am beginning to believe you might need some professional help...............no joke:rolleyes:

seriously.............. a caught doper talking like this............asking people to read his tripe............. asking people to email him.........strange days indeed.........

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
To his credit...

You can't be tried for perjury if you don't lie.

Sprinters are known for their forward thinking mentality.

I'm not sure he can be charged with perjury in any case. In the US you can be charged with perjury in you own defence, but not in all countries, I'm not sure how it is in Italy. Do we have an Italian lawyer or well informed layman?

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
There's an interesting aside to this. If Pettachi were in fact DQ-ed, you'd expect Julian Dean would be made the stage winner. And that'd be New Zealand's first ever TDF stage winner by an individual (kiwi Chris Jenner won in a TTT stage with Credit Agricole about 10 years ago). This would not a dream way for Dean to win, maybe, but it would be very well deserved for the bloke Thor called (a few years back) world's best lead-out rider....

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
ohiwa nz said:
There's an interesting aside to this. If Pettachi were in fact DQ-ed, you'd expect Julian Dean would be made the stage winner. And that'd be New Zealand's first ever TDF stage winner by an individual (kiwi Chris Jenner won in a TTT stage with Credit Agricole about 10 years ago). This would not a dream way for Dean to win, maybe, but it would be very well deserved for the bloke Thor called (a few years back) world's best lead-out rider....

Don't believe that will happen though....As you know, the procedures these days involving DQ's and true winners, it's all too complicated and takes too much time.
And then again, even if Asthma Jet was DQ'd, Dean wouldn't feel like he actually won the stage....remember Pereiro in 2006?

TRENDING THREADS