• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ngc3gh.png

Checking is there any new messages on whatsapp? :D

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Chapeau Sagan - try a tough last 5K off-the-front attack, then when that gets caught in the last K have enough left to contest the sprint, losing only by a tyre-width.

Of course as above comments on tactics, he would've probably won if he'd simply waited until the end, but it was a glorious failure and he is truly the King of Green.

GThere2 said:
Chapeau Sagan - try a tough last 5K off-the-front attack, then when that gets caught in the last K have enough left to contest the sprint, losing only by a tyre-width.

Of course as above comments on tactics, he would've probably won if he'd simply waited until the end, but it was a glorious failure and he is truly the King of Green.

YES!!! We may disagree with the tactics, but quelle classe! He's super entertaining, he's young and crazy, he's a good thing happening to the sport.

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm not Sagan's biggest fan, but I like that he's not content to just follow wheels & snatch a win in the last 50 metres (I'm talking about you, Gerrans!). I admire guys who roll the dice now & then.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
DonMI6 said:
I'm not Sagan's biggest fan, but I like that he's not content to just follow wheels & snatch a win in the last 50 metres (I'm talking about you, Gerrans!). I admire guys who roll the dice now & then.
Exactly,I dont have a fvcking idea why so many people dont like him and the same people want ol'school racing lol:rolleyes:

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
DonMI6 said:
That's weird, sure I've seen Sagan do just that or attempt to on many an occasion

Yeah, I've rarely, if not ever, seen him act like today, being so visibly frustrated. Today was his own 'fault' though. He was in 2nd position when Tony accelerated off the front, which was hardly a surprise attack, and he just let a gap open up.

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
He needs to get over this fear of dragging people to the finish. Yesterday he was off the front of the group and would probably have caught Gallopin. He got annyoed that he had to do all the work, so sat up giving up any chance of winning the stage.

That isn't brave, clever or anything else but stupid. People aren't going to gift you stages wins! Ironically on the cobbles he did the exact same thing, but to Cancellara, just sitting behind him and not working together.
It is like he is sabotaging his own chances to win stages, with a bit of tactical nuance he should have won at least 3 stages so far...

NUFCrichard said:
He needs to get over this fear of dragging people to the finish. Yesterday he was off the front of the group and would probably have caught Gallopin. He got annyoed that he had to do all the work, so sat up giving up any chance of winning the stage.

That isn't brave, clever or anything else but stupid. People aren't going to gift you stages wins! Ironically on the cobbles he did the exact same thing, but to Cancellara, just sitting behind him and not working together.
It is like he is sabotaging his own chances to win stages, with a bit of tactical nuance he should have won at least 3 stages so far...

Which race? If we are talking the RVV 2013 he probably lost because he was not sitting on his wheel. (He would loose anyway - but that was really stupid that day) The only time I remember him sitting on someone wheel and not cooperate in breakway was on his first win in TDF. And Cancelara will hate him for that forewer.

BTW. It is huge difference sit on Cance wheel on breakway and sit on Sagan wheel on breakway. Cance can keep on or even increase the distance between him and chased poloton without any help. Sagan cannot. He needs some help to make breakway succesfull.
Cance ´s goal is to run away from breakway and Sagan ´s one is to keep the breakway together till last sprint.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
NUFCrichard said:

I don't think he would have won if he had chased Gallopin on his own.

During the last couple of years, I have wondered why riders would so willingly ride with Sagan, as it was clear, for me, that Sagan would beat them in a sprint. However, that's just game theory: If you don't cooperate with Sagan, but someone else does, you don't even get a shot for podium. This year, however, they seem to cooperate in not riding for Sagan, thus defeating him "together".

NUFCrichard said:

He knows better than you what he can or can't do. Yet he and his team need to improve their tactics.

Sagan just has not got a great race brain. When he wins it's just because of his strength. He has been making the wrong moves all through the race and it's not just luck or being closely marked. Other riders with his opportunities would be winning and it's not just him it's his team. There is no way Gallopin should have won that stage after being caught. Ridiculous but then Gallopin has a racer's instinct while others haven't.

screaming fist said:
I think the poster is relating to the TdF stage to Arenberg ;)

Yes. Sorry, I somehow missed those words :). I saw it completly oposity way. The time it mattered it was only him who tried. Cance did the same thing what Kwiatko did yesteredy. After that kritical moment it did not mettered.
But yes he is right if you want to win you can not relly on somebody. The question is whether he failed more mentally or physically.

I do think yesterday he was allready cooked after the chase o Kwiatko.

Stage five I am not sure

TRENDING THREADS