• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
movingtarget said:
Sagan just has not got a great race brain. When he wins it's just because of his strength. He has been making the wrong moves all through the race and it's not just luck or being closely marked. Other riders with his opportunities would be winning and it's not just him it's his team. There is no way Gallopin should have won that stage after being caught. Ridiculous but then Gallopin has a racer's instinct while others haven't.

"other riders with his opportunities would be winning" - like who exactly,pls share

He needs to just start doing to people what they have done to him the past several months when isolated with a few riders, attack with 2-3km to go and see if anybody can follow, if so, sit up and wait for a counter, then jump their wheels.

It is just a game, he needs to go on the offensive with slightly more distance and not wait until 200m to get the win. He has done this in the past, and very successful, classic season.

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Exactly.

It's laughable to criticize his "race brain" or whatever considering how (relatively) seamlessly his career has gone so far. He just needs to stop moping and adjust to essentially being a marked man rather than futilely expecting help from people who know full well will lose to him anyway. And he absolutely will adjust...whenever it is that he stops crying.

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
cineteq said:
Haha. Brilliant.

I don't think for a second he is actually fine with losing, but he has been good in interviews. Especially considering how many he has to do and they've all been asking the same question for 5 rounds now.

Also kinda admirable that he has been able to shake off the disappointment. Was expecting a really impulsive and dumb ride yesterday (today), but he completely kept it together and just didn't time his spring right.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I think yesterday was realistically Sagan's last chance at a stage. the remaining 3 sprints are easy enough for the big Germans certainly if their teams are smart enough to move them up to the front and just drift back a little. When was the last time the green jersey winner didn't win a stage, Kelly in 89?

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
karlboss said:
I think yesterday was realistically Sagan's last chance at a stage. the remaining 3 sprints are easy enough for the big Germans certainly if their teams are smart enough to move them up to the front and just drift back a little. When was the last time the green jersey winner didn't win a stage, Kelly in 89?

Hushovd '05?

cineteq said:
Don't all the riders win (generally) because of their strengths? Btw, Sagan was sick yesterday.

He has not been sick all through the race and the Green points jersey is becoming more boring than the mountains jersey. I'm sure that Cannondale would prefer to stage wins than the Green jersey at the end of the race. What I mean is sometimes a rider can win even if he is not the strongest and some are clever with their tactics. I don't see Sagan that way. He is not the best sprinter and not a great climber but he should be winning more classics. He is a very good all rounder.

karlboss said:

reallistically yes, it was the last stage he could/should win. I think that know, his best option is not the remaining sprint stages, but stage sixteen, where he could win from a break. Something like he pulled of in TdS years ago, when he descended like a boss and caught Cunego. The stage was similar. Basically, in stage 16 there is only one difficult climb, which will be probably won by purito, but sagan could catch onto him in the descent again.

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I haven't given up hope. It will be very, very tough from now, but I could realistically see him delivering on a race he isn't expected to win. Not only because of less pressure, but others will presumably be a bit more willing to work with him against Kittel and co. Obviously he'll need luck too.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Sciocco said:
Hushovd '05?

Certainly more recent than 89 ;)

tomorrow said:
reallistically yes, it was the last stage he could/should win. I think that know, his best option is not the remaining sprint stages, but stage sixteen, where he could win from a break. Something like he pulled of in TdS years ago, when he descended like a boss and caught Cunego. The stage was similar. Basically, in stage 16 there is only one difficult climb, which will be probably won by purito, but sagan could catch onto him in the descent again.

Also stage 3 suisse last year. I think Port de Bales is tougher than either of those climbs, it's at the end of 3 weeks and the level is higher at the Tour, along with the descent not being overly technical, but you never know if the composition of the break is right and if it's raining...

tomorrow said:

Stage 19 might be a possibility:

thumb_uc_203098_506_Hoehenprofil_Tour_de_France_2014_-_Etappe_19.jpg

But the break will have to be favorable and it requires something very special when hitting the last kicker at the business end.

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
SKSemtex said:
Yes. Sorry, I somehow missed those words :). I saw it completly oposity way. The time it mattered it was only him who tried. Cance did the same thing what Kwiatko did yesteredy. After that kritical moment it did not mettered.
But yes he is right if you want to win you can not relly on somebody. The question is whether he failed more mentally or physically.

I do think yesterday he was allready cooked after the chase o Kwiatko.

Stage five I am not sure

Sorry talking about stage wins and cobbles, I thought you might get stage 5 from that, unless you call RVV a stage of the classics...

Another 2nd place, yesterday. So Kristoff has a tour stage win and a monument this season, maybe Sagan could learn something from him, instead of following his wheel!
In fairness, I don't think he has his sprint working at the moment, he didn't make much of a dent on Kristoff when he eventually tried to go around him (on the wrong side).

Dazed and Confused said:
Stage 19 might be a possibility:

thumb_uc_203098_506_Hoehenprofil_Tour_de_France_2014_-_Etappe_19.jpg

But the break will have to be favorable and it requires something very special when hitting the last kicker at the business end.

it may be promising, but i think the climb is way to far from the finish. And honestly, with sagans illness, fatigue from fighting nearly every day and sprinting form, they he would probably need the finish to be moved on the top of that cat 4 climb, then he might destruct everybody.

If I were him, I would start training winning like last year GW or Montreal, cause that might be the only chance to be left for him. The days, where he was in position that he "might" win to the position where he is expected to win. But that's just not possible.

What I'd like to know, if the obvious downfall in his sprinting abilities were sacrificed intentionally for something else or not and also, if the rumours I read some time ago, that cannondale had new coach and he screw up miserably are true.

TRENDING THREADS