• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Bur-pyVIYAAvbZ7.jpg:large

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
sagan needs strong classic rider as teammate

gunara said:
Other teams either have riders with big conflicting interest with Sagan (strong classic rider or big name sprinter) or don't think Sagan fit the budget plan.
The strong classic rider(s.c.r.) isn't a problem. Its what Peter need.
Because there are just 2-3 classic rider like him, but not that good/consistent. (classic rider with top5-10 sprint). (Kristoff , Degenkolb?)
So it should be synergy. There would be strong chance that they(Sagan and s.c,r.) will be in the last group. And..
Or you will be chasing "strong classic rider" and bring Sagan for sprint. ..Or you ll wait, watch Sagan and let "strong classic rider" win.

ps: for me the best team for P.S. is Omega ..without Cavendish. (most s.c.riders in team ..plus extra Tony Martin support/lead/s.c.r. effect. )

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
It's likely they will sign one more classics rider, EBH is rumored. Wouldn't be as good as one of the same level as Boom, but not too bad. Should do for a good domestique for him.

Riding domestique for Sagan for a season or two could be good for EBH in the long run as well IMO.
Boom has his own ambitions in the classics, though he would be able to work in stage races. But all in all, I doubt Boom will be a domestique the coming 2 years. He will really try to make his mark.

tann79 said:
Because there are just 2-3 classic rider like him, but not that good/consistent. (classic rider with top5-10 sprint). (Kristoff , Degenkolb?)
So it should be synergy. There would be strong chance that they(Sagan and s.c,r.) will be in the last group. And..
Or you will be chasing "strong classic rider" and bring Sagan for sprint. ..Or you ll wait, watch Sagan and let "strong classic rider" win.

ps: for me the best team for P.S. is Omega ..without Cavendish. (most s.c.riders in team ..plus extra Tony Martin support/lead/s.c.r. effect. )

My bad, I should've written 'leader' instad of. 'rider', because what I meant was riders who thought they have at least equal chance as Sagan in winning classics. Yes there aren't too many of them, maybe 5 of 6.
Sagan needs strong teams for classic, of course, but it's not neccesarily to be OPQS. Sagan is so versatile, he eat up a lot of space, and OPQS have small space. They already have Boonen/Terpstra, Cavendish, or even Kwiatkowski, some of their winning chances are overlapped with Sagan's. Even the likes of Stybar and Trentin wouldn't want someone else to be higher than them in pecking order for personal glory. And the team will know that, they do well for the team, why make them less happy? It's not only about dreamlike synergy on the road, I think.
Tinkoff, otoh, have a half decent classic squad to build from and enough money to build it without having to be an all-star line up, just to be enough to support him. So I think they're about right for Sagan, except for maybe Contador/GT plan.

tann79 said:

OPQS is the last team that would need Sagan. For sprints they have Cavendish, for hills Kwiatkowski und for Cobbles Boonen, Stybar and Terpstra. And for hilly stages with a flat run-in they got Meersman and Trentin. So every base is already covered. There is not a single stage that Sagan could win, where OPQS does not have at least one rider with almost equal skills. Only of course for the end of the stage. Besides Kwiatkowski and maybe Stybar nobody of them is as versatile as Sagan, but still ...

Jspear said:
I guess we might see something from him later in the race.

“Peter needs this Vuelta to regain his best form before the world championships,” said Cannondale sport director Mario Scirea. “He came here without racing, and he needs to use the first week or so to improve his condition. We hope to win a stage in the second or even third weeks.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/news/fab-four-using-vuelta-springboard-toward-rainbow-jersey_343051

I would have hoped for Sagan to at least try and see where he stands against his likely World's competitors in some of the earlier stages that were so suited to his abilities. Nevertheless, if he cleans up in the next two weeks with a couple of stage wins, then we'll know why he was so anonymous this first week (relative to his usual standards, of course).

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
What now for Peter Sagan? He sure was anonymous this WC. Will he show up to race at il Lombardia? Or is he going to continue keeping a low profile until well into 2015 riding for Tinkoff? Sure hope he gets back to his old self! :D

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
pigoonse said:
What now for Peter Sagan? He sure was anonymous this WC. Will he show up to race at il Lombardia? Or is he going to continue keeping a low profile until well into 2015 riding for Tinkoff? Sure hope he gets back to his old self! :D
He tweeted that his season is over. Some criteriums coming up, but that's it.

His 2014 already wasn't great, but this final stretch has been so poor. 2015 is going to be a huge year for him if he really wants to genuinely become one of the best and win something big.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jerkovin said:
He tweeted that his season is over. Some criteriums coming up, but that's it.

His 2014 already wasn't great, but this final stretch has been so poor. 2015 is going to be a huge year for him if he really wants to genuinely become one of the best and win something big.

For sure, the whole TS 2015 Tour team will be dedicated to Sagan, so he either make it or break it.

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Who else would they work for? No one in the right mind would believe Giro-Tour double winning is possible in the current climate of cycling.
lol, Riis already said he'll work for Contador and pick off whatever stages are possible at the Tour. And he said the green jersey won't be a goal next year. Tinkoff don't care about it. But it seems like he'll have great support almost everywhere else.

And even if Contador somehow ends up not competing at the tour, it's pretty irrelevant anyway. Sagan has already won the green jersey three times in a row, he has already won multiple Grand Tour stages. As many wins as possible is great, but his biggest goals should be monuments and world championships.

greenedge said:
I'll predict Sagan will have the following big wins next year
RVV
AGR
One stage at the TDF/ Green
And a podium at the WC RR

Unless his homework over the close season is 'racecraft' I don't think all of that will happen. There are better puncheurs out there, there are better riders on cobbles, there are better riders with a tactical brain. He is undoubtedly the best all-rounder out there but the only way that is rewarded is points jerseys, and he, as noted, has a fill of those already.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Who else would they work for? No one in the right mind would believe Giro-Tour double winning is possible in the current climate of cycling.
booking this post for next july, then I can fairly declare you with 'wrong mind' :p

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Minmartin trolling Contador fans in the Sagan thread, would you believe it.
-

I expect Sagan to bounce back. The unusual is usually followed by the usual, not the unusual.
Sagan getting second all the time was kinda fun this year though. Somehow, I've started rooting against Sagan when previously I wanted him to win. Probably the egalitarian in me.

TRENDING THREADS