• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Keram said:
It is obvious Sagan wanted to ride MTB and he is bigger than Slovak cycling union. President of union would do everything to please him. I am curiuos and many slovaks either. I really hope he wont mess up his TDF campaing and that this "experiment" wont hurt his road racing in the future.

I really hope he wont mess up his TDF campaing and that this "experiment" wont hurt his road racing in the future.
THIS. Me to.
Sagan must be pretty happy that Tinkoff does not give a *** anymore. I cannot imagine other team owner or DS who would allow him to ride.

Re:

WildspokeJoe said:
Love how Sagan is representing the rainbow jersey.
First guy in forever who has beaten the 'curse'

well, first guy forever who has beaten the 'curse', but the way he's beaten it is even more remarkable.

Today, he could/should have stopped pulling once he bridged the gap, he would still win easily probably. Then, he just even attacks the break. Hard to say, if his riding style is, let's say it midly, not very clever, or it is brilliant. But he certainly has the balls, and that makes it very exciting to watch every race he enters. I could see him in long range attack in RIO. It would hardly come to success, but it would be very interesting, what the climber would then do.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Some should pre-sighn this beast before 1 Aug.Otherwise if he will continue riding last this he will ask for 8 mil.per year:))))).

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Hello fellow cycling wizards!

Seriously, after watching today's stage, his RVV win, ToCalifornia win, Tirreno's past performances... How can he not be considered a very strong favorite to Liege, if he focus on it, or the wildest of wildcards, if he rides it and attacks the group?

The race's finale isn't tougher than today's stage, and a big group with lesser riders (compared to Peter) always make it to the finale, nowadays. That cobbled hill and a attack from Peter would destroy everybody else. Look at Rui Costa, who podiumed LBL and is also getting ready for the tour, being absolutely floored on that hill, and 10 degrees bellow the following descent, flat and sprint.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

tomorrow said:
WildspokeJoe said:

well, first guy forever who has beaten the 'curse', but the way he's beaten it is even more remarkable.

Today, he could/should have stopped pulling once he bridged the gap, he would still win easily probably. Then, he just even attacks the break. Hard to say, if his riding style is, let's say it midly, not very clever, or it is brilliant. But he certainly has the balls, and that makes it very exciting to watch every race he enters. I could see him in long range attack in RIO. It would hardly come to success, but it would be very interesting, what the climber would then do.
You mean in Rio road race?Nope he will do MTB :D

Sagan is riding smarter in the last 12 months - He is no longer wasting energy on stages which are unsuitable - And if in a break near the finish is prepared to share the work - I can't think of a more consistent rider in terms of being around the finish in suitable stages - rare for him to be dropped from the peleton on a suitable stage.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes I do and he does the same tactical mistakes what he did before.Diference is he is stronger so can make these tact.errors.He is just not Kwiatek if we talk about tactical shape.
Better shape not because of his peak years but probbably because He change his preparation .
Just my view of course.
(Cannon-try to make him lighter.
Thinkoff-try to change his bike position etc.)

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
WildspokeJoe said:

Lemond Hinault and Merckx winning Tdf in Rainbow. Cav with 14 wins in Rainbow. Boonen winning RVV, E3 and Scheldeprijs in rainbow to name a few...
Hinault and Merckx were lesser athletes racing against much lesser athletes. You know how specialized cycling has become. It's like comparing 2 different sports.

Cav only won lesser, irrelevant races on a lesser, irrelevant way. Boonen was great and the only one comparable. Having said that, that was 10 years ago (our point) and Sagan has everything to have a better season.

yaco said:
KGB said:
Not really.He is just in better shape.

Watch how he is racing all races compared to 12 months ago.

He should be in better shape - He's at the peak years for a cyclist.

Compared to 12 months ago he's racing the same it's just that he's able to finish it off this year, instead of having an empty tank when they reach the finish.
He's a class act though and extremely entertaining as a rider. Indon't really care about his show next to the race, it doesn't bother me. The show on the roads he's giving is something I love.

MacBAir said:
PremierAndrew said:
Lemond Hinault and Merckx winning Tdf in Rainbow. Cav with 14 wins in Rainbow. Boonen winning RVV, E3 and Scheldeprijs in rainbow to name a few...
Hinault and Merckx were lesser athletes racing against much lesser athletes. You know how specialized cycling has become. It's like comparing 2 different sports.

Cav only won lesser, irrelevant races on a lesser, irrelevant way. Boonen was great and the only one comparable. Having said that, that was 10 years ago (our point) and Sagan has everything to have a better season.

Hinault and Merckx were lesser athletes? Are you serious? Surely I can't be the only poster here who takes exception to this bizarre statement. Those two names are undeniable favorites for the podium of any Greatest Cyclist of all Time list.

On topic, I'd also add Cuddles' 2010 season to good rainbow performances. Strong showings in the Ardennes and some animation on the GT front, most notably in that spectacular edition of the Giro. Isn't on par with Boonen 2006 and Sagan 2016, but I think it's a bit more impressive than Kwiatkowski's season as champion.

evansget_1637617c.jpg

KGB said:
tomorrow said:
WildspokeJoe said:

You mean in Rio road race?Nope he will do MTB :D

I am very well aware of that, I just left out this part of the 2nd. conditional, maybe I shouldn't have.

MacBAir said:
PremierAndrew said:
WildspokeJoe said:

You're right, Sagan is better than arguably the two biggest legends of the sport of cycling

PremierAndrew said:
MacBAir said:
PremierAndrew said:
WildspokeJoe said:

You're right, Sagan is better than arguably the two biggest legends of the sport of cycling
Off course he is... He invented a bicycle.
... After he invented a wheel.

Sagan's fans are serious threat to Contador's bunch. Can't tell who's more ridiculous in idolizing.

P.S.
He does resemble a man from the wheel invention era.

PremierAndrew said:
MacBAir said:
PremierAndrew said:
WildspokeJoe said:

I'm pretty sure this is a joke. Atleast I sure hope so.

I ignored the post your replying too as I didn't even think it was worth it, but now I hope you are just joking.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
While I do not have an opinion on who's better than who, it's clearly obvious to anyone with some knowledge of the sport that the level of competition has increased a lot over the last few decades.

TRENDING THREADS