• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

MacBAir said:
PremierAndrew said:
WildspokeJoe said:
Love how Sagan is representing the rainbow jersey.
First guy in forever who has beaten the 'curse'

Lemond Hinault and Merckx winning Tdf in Rainbow. Cav with 14 wins in Rainbow. Boonen winning RVV, E3 and Scheldeprijs in rainbow to name a few...
Hinault and Merckx were lesser athletes racing against much lesser athletes. You know how specialized cycling has become. It's like comparing 2 different sports.

Cav only won lesser, irrelevant races on a lesser, irrelevant way. Boonen was great and the only one comparable. Having said that, that was 10 years ago (our point) and Sagan has everything to have a better season.

Cav won six GT stages and was unlucky not to win more how are the Giro and Tour lesser races?

tomorrow said:
WildspokeJoe said:

well, first guy forever who has beaten the 'curse', but the way he's beaten it is even more remarkable.

Today, he could/should have stopped pulling once he bridged the gap, he would still win easily probably. Then, he just even attacks the break. Hard to say, if his riding style is, let's say it midly, not very clever, or it is brilliant. But he certainly has the balls, and that makes it very exciting to watch every race he enters. I could see him in long range attack in RIO. It would hardly come to success, but it would be very interesting, what the climber would then do.

Today was indeed all great; fantastic; inspiring. Totally awesome Sagan-ery in evidence, that nobody else could pull off, and no-one can sensibly question.

Right up until 1200m to go, when he bought the stage from Albasini.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
MacBAir said:
PremierAndrew said:
WildspokeJoe said:

Lemond Hinault and Merckx winning Tdf in Rainbow. Cav with 14 wins in Rainbow. Boonen winning RVV, E3 and Scheldeprijs in rainbow to name a few...
Hinault and Merckx were lesser athletes racing against much lesser athletes. You know how specialized cycling has become. It's like comparing 2 different sports.

Cav only won lesser, irrelevant races on a lesser, irrelevant way. Boonen was great and the only one comparable. Having said that, that was 10 years ago (our point) and Sagan has everything to have a better season.

You're right, Sagan is better than arguably the two biggest legends of the sport of cycling
What makes you think that he isn't? I'm talking about an athlete. From any even remotely scientific and objective POV Peter is a much better cyclist than any of those guys could ever be.

Of course, he is riding against high level athletes that are also physically stronger than any rider from previous eras, and cycling is a very specialized sport where many factors play a huge role on the outcome.

We don't have 5 to 6 guys winning races from february to october, and the track, and mountain bike anymore, while others are useless cannon fodder. It happens.

A guy like Peter is better than a guy like Merckx on every single metric even remotely related with physical ability.

The Andrej Susenkas of this world would've been "Merckx" too, if they had their own team, were racing against farmers, everyone did the same race that was always nothing more than a basic endurance contest, and so on.

I see older cyclists as true warriors, but amateurs. In fact, I don't relate with the circus that was cycling before the modern era, and just laugh when someone says that Merckx was the best of all time. I mean, best at what? Could he even dream of holding Peter or Fabian's wheel in any terrain? Or Kittel and Cav in a sprint? Dawg up the Alpe?

No, but maybe he was good as a masseur.

Different sports.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

MacBAir said:
What makes you think that he isn't? I'm talking about an athlete. From any even remotely scientific and objective POV Peter is a much better cyclist than any of those guys could ever be.

Of course, he is riding against high level athletes that are also physically stronger than any rider from previous eras, and cycling is a very specialized sport where many factors play a huge role on the outcome.

We don't have 5 to 6 guys winning races from february to october, and the track, and mountain bike anymore, while others are useless cannon fodder. It happens.

A guy like Peter is better than a guy like Merckx on every single metric even remotely related with physical ability.

The Andrej Susenkas of this world would've been "Merckx" too, if they had their own team, were racing against farmers, everyone did the same race that was always nothing more than a basic endurance contest, and so on.

I see older cyclists as true warriors, but amateurs. In fact, I don't relate with the circus that was cycling before the modern era, and just laugh when someone says that Merckx was the best of all time. I mean, best at what? Could he even dream of holding Peter or Fabian's wheel in any terrain? Or Kittel and Cav in a sprint? Dawg up the Alpe?

Different sports.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider the modern era? I mostly agree with you too, very different times.

MacBAir, let stay level headed here. I completely agree that Sagan is a great rider. He has one rainbow jersey: now comparing his record in monuments, GT stages (or GT wins if you mention Merckx and Hinault) with the legends of the sport, he's not quite there :D. Let's be real. It's like saying that Pinot is greater than Bahamontes: even I wouldn't go there ;) . Even LaFlo doesn't argue that Bertie is better than the Eddy or Nanard...and she wishes she could :p .

Sagan is still young, he has time to build a huge win record and be considered as, and compared with the legends. Right now, he's not in the Boonen, Cance, or Philippe Gilbert for example. Look at their records...

But be patient, my friend. He'll win more, he'll get there. And he sure is entertaining.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

MacBAir said:

Different sports.
Anyway, what if they Merckx and Hinault trained with today's possibilities and so on? Maybe they would still be the best. It isn't like human are getting physically stronger over few decades.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
With the sole exception of crazy adaptive physiology, there hasn't been any significant human evolution in the last few decades. But even adjusting for environmental changes, because its size increased selection into the peloton have changed, the best today are likely physically more gifted than the best of previous eras.

Re:

portugal11 said:
I think he is no favourite to win the worlds. The only problem is that he hasn't teammates to help him.

Sagan is an amazing rider, but Sagan cant climb to have options in the Olimpics. He couldnt with Fiorenze, so he has nothing to do with the hard climb of Rio, nor him not Van Avermaert who climb better, nor a lot of similar people.

What he did yesterday was impresive, but he is very good in that kind of profile, and in Suisse just Matthews is a similar rider close to his level, and I think he is not in top shape. EBH, Van Avermaet, Gilbert and others are not here.

Anyway he did a master class of how a champion must win: Class, technic, strategy, strength and determination.

Everybody was in sspain watching football but I enjoyed a lot Sagan victory.

But when I read things as the olimpics and things like that...even with the better team of the world...anyway he will have some good teammates.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
portugal11 said:
I think he is no favourite to win the worlds. The only problem is that he hasn't teammates to help him.

Sagan is an amazing rider, but Sagan cant climb to have options in the Olimpics. He couldnt with Fiorenze, so he has nothing to do with the hard climb of Rio, nor him not Van Avermaert who climb better, nor a lot of similar people.

What he did yesterday was impresive, but he is very good in that kind of profile, and in Suisse just Matthews is a similar rider close to his level, and I think he is not in top shape. EBH, Van Avermaet, Gilbert and others are not here.

Anyway he did a master class of how a champion must win: Class, technic, strategy, strength and determination.

Everybody was in sspain watching football but I enjoyed a lot Sagan victory.

But when I read things as the olimpics and things like that...even with the better team of the world...anyway he will have some good teammates.
You mean Landa climb better then Sagan?Yes I agree with that conclusion.

MacBAir said:
PremierAndrew said:
MacBAir said:
PremierAndrew said:
WildspokeJoe said:

You're right, Sagan is better than arguably the two biggest legends of the sport of cycling

Different sports.

You see Merckx as an amateur! haha you are truly hilarious. You clearly have no clue about the history of cycling and how talented the top riders were. You say Peter is riding against 'high level athletes that are also physically stronger than any rider from previous eras'- maybe true but then you could say the same about Merckx and his competitors. No matter what the era you have to beat the best cyclists in the world.

You think just because it was the 70s (an era in which I assume you didn't watch any top level bike races) that they were just a bunch of part timers not dedicated to training? Try and read a bit about training techniques back then- it makes todays generally much more time efficient techniques seem a lot less daunting.

Take Merckx hour record for example- if todays riders are so much better then how has his record only been improved upon by 3 miles per hour with better training techniques, better diet, much better bikes, aerodynamics, tyres ect..?? You seriously think Merckx would get blown away by Peter and Fabian on the flat, and then think they had any remote chance of matching him in a GC race?? LOL. Merckx is the best all round cyclist ever, full stop.

3 miles per hour is enormous in pro cycling,dont act like its "only"

i dont know why is this even a debate,athletes 40 years ago were definitely lesser athletes than today - here comes the important part - NOT because they were lazy or less talented,they were simply not given the on and off the bike advantages the current generation has which all counts towards athletic performance

now nobody is saying contador,sagan or froome are better cyclists than merckx,but they are better athletes...just like usain bolt is better athlete than carl lewis and carl lewis was better than jesse owens

in 40 years (unless we hit the max of human performance) there will be better athletes than there are today

But Eddy wasn't competing against iron men behind the Iron curtain...

Anyway, Sagan needs one more Tour of Flanders, two more Rainbow jerseys, three more Paris - Roubaix and seven more MSR to even be considered for a comparison with Merckx. It wouldn't be fair to compare them in hilly Monuments, stage races and GTs, 'cause we all agree it's a different era.

Why are we discussing this ridiculous trolling topic? Sagan hasn't even reached the level of some active riders, yet.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:

Anyway, Sagan needs one more Tour of Flanders, two more Rainbow jerseys, three more Paris - Roubaix and seven more MSR to even be considered for a comparison with Merckx. It wouldn't be fair to compare them in hilly Monuments, stage races and GTs, 'cause we all agree it's a different era.

Why are we discussing this ridiculous trolling topic? Sagan hasn't even reached the level of some active riders, yet.

It's not a trolling topic, there's a very good chance Sagan is simply better than Eddy physiologically. Hinault was better than Eddy too.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
Anyway, Sagan needs one more Tour of Flanders, two more Rainbow jerseys, three more Paris - Roubaix and seven more MSR to even be considered for a comparison with Merckx.
A RVV in 2016 is worth more than a RVV in 1975 for the simple reason that the level of the competition is much higher.

SeriousSam said:
sir fly said:

It's not a trolling topic, there's a very good chance Sagan is simply better than Eddy physiologically. Hinault was better than Eddy too.
Physiology that was winning all around cycling calendar for years, whatever era it was, is hard to beat.
But I agree there's a good chance... I'd, certainly, rather call Sagan to move me than Merckx.

TRENDING THREADS