• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 94 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
SKSemtex said:
Hugo Koblet said:
SKSemtex said:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2016/aug/01/100-olympians-to-watch-at-rio-2016

Probably CAV should be there as well.
Why Cavendish over, say, Gaviria?

GAViria who? :D

because he is still nobody in RR compering to CAV
If 3xstage TDF winner competing in MTB is there why 4xstage winner competing in track is not?
My bad, I didn't realize that Cavendish was selected for the team pursuit. I thought he was only doing the Omnium in which case Gaviria was more likely to win a medal than Cavendish.

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
SKSemtex said:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2016/aug/01/100-olympians-to-watch-at-rio-2016

Probably CAV should be there as well.
tbh i' m surprised cavendish isn't in that list. i mean 50% of the athletes are from USA and GB :D

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
SKSemtex said:
http://www.sportspromedia.com/most_marketable

Sagan more marketable then Messi or Ronaldo and 3 places behind Djoko. :D

Lizzie Armitstead as number 46? I'm sorry, but does she even make minimum wage? Besides the Olympics and the WC no women's races are televised. How can she be so marketable if nobody can even watch the sport? :confused:

I've never even heard of the top 5...

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

MacBAir said:
Do you guys consider him a favorite for this years World's RR?

Not really, he's always outsprinted by someone on flat sprints. But a contender for the podium? Definitely. I wouldn't mind if he proved me wrong and won though.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
MacBAir said:
Do you guys consider him a favorite for this years World's RR?

Not really, he's always outsprinted by someone on flat sprints. But a contender for the podium? Definitely. I wouldn't mind if he proved me wrong and won though.
You are right, but since it is a long classic and can be ridden hard... I don't know, I like his chances.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
He's an outside bet at best for the WCRR. Too many teams with sprinters will want the bunch finish and no small group is going to drag Sagan to the finish just to see him fly past them.
So, just like the last time?

Either there is not enough wind in Qatar and it is a calm race that ends in a simple mass sprint in which there are only 3 viable candidates to win. (but one of those 3 will have to work for another)

Or the wind plays an important role and the race is much more open and then Sagan certainly has a chance.

I think Sagan is an outsider but he still can win the WC this year. He has beaten Kittel in a few sprints in the tdf this year and also showed on stage 21 that he can beat Greipel. The only rider who was basically always better than Sagan in the bunch sprints of the tour was Cavendish, but we don't know yet how Cav will deal with the long distance in Doha. He trained for the track this year which is probably why he was so strong on really easy stages but his climbing seemed to be worse than ever which might mean that he will also have problems in a long race like the WC. I think Kristoff, Bouhanni, Demare, Matthews, Viviani, and so on will probably be slightly worse than a Sagan in top shape but they are ofc. all contenders for a medal and might also beat Sagan if he doesn't bring his absolute A game to Doha.

Gigs_98 said:
I think Sagan is an outsider but he still can win the WC this year. He has beaten Kittel in a few sprints in the tdf this year and also showed on stage 21 that he can beat Greipel. The only rider who was basically always better than Sagan in the bunch sprints of the tour was Cavendish, but we don't know yet how Cav will deal with the long distance in Doha. He trained for the track this year which is probably why he was so strong on really easy stages but his climbing seemed to be worse than ever which might mean that he will also have problems in a long race like the WC. I think Kristoff, Bouhanni, Demare, Matthews, Viviani, and so on will probably be slightly worse than a Sagan in top shape but they are ofc. all contenders for a medal and might also beat Sagan if he doesn't bring his absolute A game to Doha.

Eh? Did you want a different finish to me as I'm pretty sure I saw Greipel win that?

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Gigs_98 said:

Eh? Did you want a different finish to me as I'm pretty sure I saw Greipel win that?
You also saw how much faster Sagan was. He just accelerated a bit later. He has also beaten Greipel before, even on flat sprints and for the win.

TRENDING THREADS