• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 162 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Posting here because it fits better:

GuyIncognito said:
Anyway, as Sagan said a few months ago he will never have any chance of ever winning LBL or Lombardia much less a proper mountain stage, because he weighs 79kg not the usually reported 73 and if he goes below that he loses a lot of power so climbs even worse (and does everything else worse), which is what happened during his worse 2014/2015 period

Winning LBL or Lombardia is much, much harder than winning a "proper" mountain stage.
Much lesser riders than Sagan win mountain stages every year in Tour, Giro and Vuelta, particularly from breakaways, it's just a question of how much he wants it. And of course as long as he's capable of winning stages like today, or sunday, or Flanders/Roubaix (and presumably M-SR when he eventually wins that) it doesn't make sense for him to go for that.

But, and I used to be a long time "hater" of Sagan, after everything we've seen him do, I'm baffled anyone could even argue that it wouldn't be possible for him to win a mountain stage. Not the GC, but one stage.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Well, of course he can win a stage from a breakaway. Anyone can, given the right course and breakaway.
You know that that's not my point :)

No actually, I guess we were talking about different things. ;)

If you meant, like, winning on Alpe d'Huez from a select GC group, then I agree that's probably one of the few things he's not physically able to do regardless of how much weight he loses.

Random stat time -

In the first 7 road stages the sum of Sagan's placings is 19. At a very quick glance looks like his previous best for 7 was 23 in 2014. I daresay today will come fairly cheaply too. I'm guessing this is some sort of "record" for modern times and not sure if it says more about Sagan or the route.

Going to the obvious ones, Petacchi managed 12 in the first 6 in the 2003 Giro, beating Sagan's 17 for 6 here.

(Super Points is the most fun classification)

Some stats from this season. I did it myself from PCS so if you will find some mistake please correct me. Peter Sagan had 47 racing days this year. Three of that were TTT(Tour, swiss, Tirenno). Sagan had 31 top tens out of 44 starts which is ridiculous 70,4%. Exclude ITTs and it is 31/41. I counted 8 MTFs or mountain stages it is dificult to tell surely but I think it could be Willunga Hill, Sarnano Sassotetto at Tirenno, Gibraltar Road and Lake Tahoe at California, stages 5,6,7 at Swiss and Le Grand Bornand at TDF. It would be 31 out of 33 on terrain suited to Sagan. In fact he was not in top ten only in Trevi stage in Tirreno which was too tough for classic guys anyway and at E3 Harelbeke. Out of this 31 top tens was 27 top fives actually ( without MSR, Strade, Ronde and Mur de Bretagne). Sagan only raced wt races with one exception (nationals). Ridiculous consistency even for Sagan standards. He allways is in top ten when it suits him. Classics, sprints, hills. No matter what.

Re:

Keram said:
Some stats from this season. I did it myself from PCS so if you will find some mistake please correct me. Peter Sagan had 47 racing days this year. Three of that were TTT(Tour, swiss, Tirenno). Sagan had 31 top tens out of 44 starts which is ridiculous 70,4%. Exclude ITTs and it is 31/41. I counted 8 MTFs or mountain stages it is dificult to tell surely but I think it could be Willunga Hill, Sarnano Sassotetto at Tirenno, Gibraltar Road and Lake Tahoe at California, stages 5,6,7 at Swiss and Le Grand Bornand at TDF. It would be 31 out of 33 on terrain suited to Sagan. In fact he was not in top ten only in Trevi stage in Tirreno which was too tough for classic guys anyway and at E3 Harelbeke. Out of this 31 top tens was 27 top fives actually ( without MSR, Strade, Ronde and Mur de Bretagne). Sagan only raced wt races with one exception (nationals). Ridiculous consistency even for Sagan standards. He allways is in top ten when it suits him. Classics, sprints, hills. No matter what.

Completely unique.

Edit: I'm not sure uniqueness can be graded... ;)

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Leinster said:
Wow. Mid-Tour is an odd time for that to happen/be announced, when he’s presumably not at home with her.

Slovak fans said that some local tabloid got wind of the story and was getting ready to publish a big story about it, so he had to go ahead and announce now so they could tell the news in their own diplomatic way, instead of waiting until after the Tour. Sounds like he's probably trying to protect his family from whatever spin the tabloid would've put on it.

It sounded like the Slovak tabloids like to go after Peter, unfortunately.

Re: Re:

Beech Mtn said:
Leinster said:
Wow. Mid-Tour is an odd time for that to happen/be announced, when he’s presumably not at home with her.

Slovak fans said that some local tabloid got wind of the story and was getting ready to publish a big story about it, so he had to go ahead and announce now so they could tell the news in their own diplomatic way, instead of waiting until after the Tour. Sounds like he's probably trying to protect his family from whatever spin the tabloid would've put on it.

It sounded like the Slovak tabloids like to go after Peter, unfortunately.

The fans seem that way too.

Here I haven't seen it, probably the mods are on it. But in other forums I've seen plenty of "It's because he found out she did [wild stories that may or may not be true]" and equally plenty of "It's because she found out he did [wild stories that may or may not be true]". It's clogged the discussion of actual racing and I could not care less, it's a cycling forum not a tabloid forum.

On the bright side, he's finally free so Jancouver can now profess his deepest love.
No wonder Jancouver stopped posting, he's on his way to Slovakia.

TRENDING THREADS