• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 160 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Leinster said:
Screecher said:
Billie said:
no reason to go on holiday yet
Yes, there is. It's called Tour of California.

I love seeing Sagan at the ToC every year, but I do wish he'd try the Ardennes.
He'd struggle to even get a top 10 result in Fleche and Liege, and California + Suisse preparation for TdF has worked very well for him so far so there's no reason to change that.

Peter loves the Tour of California. He enjoys racing over here and he wants to be at that race. Plus he's a huge draw for it as well, so I'm sure the organizers want him over here as well. Since he always wanted to come race it before it was a WT race, there is no reason for him to miss it now that it is a WT race.

Koronin said:
El Pistolero said:
hrotha said:
El Pistolero said:
Koronin said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sagan has beaten Valverde plenty of times in uphill sprints at the Tour.
When, other than Cherbourg 2016 and Seraing 2012?

Rodez in 2015 (Greg won, but Sagan was second).

That's not plenty of times.

Has the reverse happened plenty of times? Vuelta 2015, stage 4 into Vejer is one, but other than that?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Koronin said:
Peter loves the Tour of California. He enjoys racing over here and he wants to be at that race. Plus he's a huge draw for it as well, so I'm sure the organizers want him over here as well. Since he always wanted to come race it before it was a WT race, there is no reason for him to miss it now that it is a WT race.

California is vacation for Sagan. He doesn't take it very serious (except the one time he won the GC), but he can easily win a couple of stages there because the field isn't very good. It's a win-win situation for him.

Screecher said:
Leinster said:
Screecher said:
Billie said:
no reason to go on holiday yet
Yes, there is. It's called Tour of California.

I love seeing Sagan at the ToC every year, but I do wish he'd try the Ardennes.
He'd struggle to even get a top 10 result in Fleche and Liege, and California + Suisse preparation for TdF has worked very well for him so far so there's no reason to change that.

Fleche, granted.

Liege, when Matthews and Gerrans can get top 10 and even win on the current course, and with the Ans finish going away next year, is far from impossible for him.

I get that California fits into his season as-is, and it works for his Tour prep, and the crowds in CA love having him, but the traditionalist in me still feels that the best classics rider in the world ought to be riding the oldest classic. And (new, separate, argument here) it'd be a real shame if he went his whole career without racing the Giro.

Leinster said:
Screecher said:
Billie said:
Sagan wouldn't struggle in Liege. Matthews was 4th last year and right there for the sprint. Sagan is better version of Matthews
Matthews doesn't ride Roubaix or Flanders. That's different
GvA was 11th in Liege last year after winning everything there was to win on the cobbles.

Valverde's comment after Greg finished 11th at Liege last year was, if he can do that here I can get a top 10 at Paris-Roubaix. However, Greg had amazing form last year.

Also remember LBL is changing it's finishing town for next year.

Koronin said:
Also remember LBL is changing it's finishing town for next year.
Exactly. Kelly won 2 LBLs into Liege, before the move to Ans. Unless the 60km before La Redoute are raced as hard as the 60km before Carrefour de l'Arbre, then I'd expect Sagan to still be with the other top contenders at that point, and you're into an end-game similar to what we saw today.

Koronin said:
El Pistolero said:
hrotha said:
El Pistolero said:
Koronin said:

That's not plenty of times.

Has the reverse happened plenty of times? Vuelta 2015, stage 4 into Vejer is one, but other than that?

Mur de Bretagne 2015

El Pistolero said:
hrotha said:
El Pistolero said:
Koronin said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Valverde was not in contention in the first place, that's not a case of Sagan beating him in an uphill sprint.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
DonEsteban said:
Sagan is just being Sagan, nothing new to discuss...

I get it.

Non-sprinter beating Gaviria and the rest of the wannabe sprinters is not worth the discussion.

Luckily, we still have guys like Fatancur to talk about. :cool:

BTW, other than Sagan, who was the last TdF green jersey winner that also won Roubaix and De Ronde?

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
I'm pretty sure Sagan is the 2nd non-Belgian to do it:

Sagan - SVK
Boonen - BEL
Vanderaerden - BEL
Godefroot - BEL
Merckx - BEL
Van Looy - BEL
Forestier - FRA

Thanks!

I knew about Merckx, but for some reason, I forgot about Boonen.

TRENDING THREADS