• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 207 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cavendish is 96pts ahead on 168pts and there are what 5 flat sprints left? And he's faster than Sagan with a better leadout.

Normally 300pts is enough to be sure of green. If Cav is OK through the Alps then he can secure it next week already.
Does it even matter? Isn't 7 jerseys enough? I'd rather see him win a stage or two instead of hopelessly trying to gain back a couple points.

Cavendish is 96pts ahead on 168pts and there are what 5 flat sprints left? And he's faster than Sagan with a better leadout.

Normally 300pts is enough to be sure of green. If Cav is OK through the Alps then he can secure it next week already.
Matthews is also in a better spot than Sagan at this moment. Sagan's decline is real I fear (unless he goes to DQS of course :D).

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Matthews is also in a better spot than Sagan at this moment. Sagan's decline is real I fear (unless he goes to DQS of course :D).
He also crashed early on and also finished 4th in Milano-Sanremo. I don't disagree though, if you look at his PCS points it's a very nice pyramid shape which is in line with a decline. In my analytics of sports I have found athletes that stretch the decline out are typically taking PED's. Having said all that, the World Championships this year and Paris-Roubaix all are far enough away from his COVID stint that he should be in peak form by then. We'll see after the WC's and PR where he's at.

He also crashed early on and also finished 4th in Milano-Sanremo. I don't disagree though, if you look at his PCS points it's a very nice pyramid shape which is in line with a decline. In my analytics of sports I have found athletes that stretch the decline out are typically taking PED's. Having said all that, the World Championships this year and Paris-Roubaix all are far enough away from his COVID stint that he should be in peak form by then. We'll see after the WC's and PR where he's at.
Well it's hard to believe he will get another 2016 like peak, but even something like 2018/2019 form is so much better than his current self. I can't believe a guy who has been so consistently and unbelievably good for almost a decade is washed up at 31. I'm far more willing to assume he has not yet overcome the several problems he's had in the past couple of seasons, most recently the Covid thing.

Also I'm just salty that two of my favourite riders (Sagan and Nibali) have started to get substantially worse almost at the same time. So I just have to hope Sagan's troubles are temporary... 'cause old Nibs has a foot in the grave :p

Dude has 4 wins this season including a giro stage and points jersey. Sure, he's not doing too hot in the tour but he could still win a stage later in the race. You guys need to have reasonable expectations.
Well the expectations are naturally very high for a dude who has been no. 1 in the peloton for several years.

More than anything this Tour was one of occasions to show he can compete against the new Classics beasts, but that fight hasn't really happened. Guess we'll really have to wait for PR and WC to see how competitive he is.

Very rough Tour so far. I'm still hopeful for a stage win but he seems completely defeated to me.
Even if he entered the Tour in less than ideal shape there's still no excuse for how he is performing right now, unless the consequences of that crash are much severe than we thought. 8th in today's bunch sprint, against Bol, Greipel, and Bouhanni? Dunno man.

Even if he entered the Tour in less than ideal shape there's still no excuse for how he is performing right now, unless the consequences of that crash are much severe than we thought. 8th in today's bunch sprint, against Bol, Greipel, and Bouhanni? Dunno man.
I don't think you understand. It's not all about shape. As a sprinter you also have to be sharp mentally, tactically and positionally. Today he was in a very good position with about 2km to go, then lost mutiple positions, had to sprint to recover them and finally got himself boxed in, almost crashing in the process. He had the legs to finish higher imo but messed it up. Not saying that something like a 5th place again is a good result for him but you (hopefully) get my point.

I don't think you understand. It's not all about shape. As a sprinter you also have to be sharp mentally, tactically and positionally. Today he was in a very good position with about 2km to go, then lost mutiple positions, had to sprint to recover them and finally got himself boxed in, almost crashing in the process. He had the legs to finish higher imo but messed it up. Not saying that something like a 5th place again is a good result for him but you (hopefully) get my point.
I get your point Screecher, but Sagan is usually excellent at positioning so when he is off the mark it is natural to assume he was missing the legs to back up his skills. Also, he didn't even try to contest the first intermediate sprint, or rather, he was up there until the moment when it mattered the most, and then he sat up.

As a sprinter you also have to be sharp mentally, tactically and positionally.
Unless you are in the DQS train ;)

To me it's sadder he's not even close to competing on finishes like Mur de Bretagne anymore.
Yep. I remember the excitement of that first Paris Nice when he appeared. Serious discussion about what sort of race he couldn't win, outside the high mountains. All 5 monuments were possible. Now it's hard to see what sort of stage he'd be a top favourite for.

Jun 29, 2021
Visit site
Yep. I remember the excitement of that first Paris Nice when he appeared. Serious discussion about what sort of race he couldn't win, outside the high mountains. All 5 monuments were possible. Now it's hard to see what sort of stage he'd be a top favourite for.
He lost the spark/motivation/magic ... before he was everywhere and now is invisible :confused: ... for me doesn't matter if he doesn't win, but I would like to see "the show"

I mean, Sagan is so good that his decline phase is probably still better than some rider's peak. But as you said - the trend is pretty clear. Only stoppable for Sagan if he goes to DQS. Then he will obviously be his best self again :D

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS