• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Peter Sagan

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys! i am new in this forum! i love cycling and my idol is Peter Sagan! i think he is amazing, he is very young but i think he is going to be a real champion! what do you think about him? i think there are many races that suits him very much like for example Milan-Sanremo, San Sebastian, Hamburg and he can also win some small tours in my opinion but not grand tours!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dabaideschbi said:
Hello guys! i am new in this forum! i love cycling and my idol is Peter Sagan! i think he is amazing, he is very young but i think he is going to be a real champion! what do you think about him? i think there are many races that suits him very much like for example Milan-Sanremo, San Sebastian, Hamburg and he can also win some small tours in my opinion but not grand tours!

Welcome.
Peter Sagan is awesome.
That is all.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dabaideschbi said:
i am new in this forum!

You got one thing right!

There is a big ol' Peter Sagan hype thread love-fest somewhere on this board already, you should dig it up. But yeah, we like him.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
You got one thing right!

There is a big ol' Peter Sagan hype thread love-fest somewhere on this board already, you should dig it up. But yeah, we like him.

Any race he's in devolves to a Sagan-lovefest ;)

Not that I'm complaining, I like the guy and the way he races.
But he's no Bauke :p

(not being serious, I'm a bigger fan of Sagan than of Bauke)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
He is already one hell of a rider. As you guess, so I agree, he shows promising signs of being a long term "elite".

And he is awesome!:D

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Sagan is unreal.. sprinting like that against sprinters in Philly?? climbing nearly the same pace as Levi and Zabriskie etc??? time trialing pretty damn good??? and he's only 20??!?!!?! I hope he's the real deal.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
santacruz said:
Sagan is unreal.. sprinting like that against sprinters in Philly?? climbing nearly the same pace as Levi and Zabriskie etc??? time trialing pretty damn good??? and he's only 20??!?!!?! I hope he's the real deal.

This is how I feel also.

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well i am very happy that you guys agree with me! he is absolutely a great rider!!!!! i read that he is going to ride the tour of suisse next week but he is not going to the tour!!! he is still very young so he will gain experience slowly! But i won't be so surprised if in the end of september in australia he will...........

The guy has been awesome, but let's put it into some perspective; he was able to handle a long, constant low gradient climb in Cali, which matched riders like Levi and Zabriskie, who as GC men are TT men who hang on when the road goes uphill. When he was asked to compete with genuine climbers on long and/or steep climbs he was left behind by the likes of Contador, Sánchez, Valverde and Rodríguez. He can get over a short sharp climb (Willunga) or a long drag (Big Bear) but a real mountain pass like you get in a Grand Tour? Not convinced yet. His time trialling has been decent. Hardly pretty damn good. He has plenty of time to improve that, but let's not jump the gun.

Even though I say that, I will still say that I think that as a rider he bears many of the traits of Paolo Bettini. I'm not saying he will or will not achieve as much, less or more than Bettini, but I am saying his skill set reminds me of him.

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
The guy has been awesome, but let's put it into some perspective; he was able to handle a long, constant low gradient climb in Cali, which matched riders like Levi and Zabriskie, who as GC men are TT men who hang on when the road goes uphill. When he was asked to compete with genuine climbers on long and/or steep climbs he was left behind by the likes of Contador, Sánchez, Valverde and Rodríguez. He can get over a short sharp climb (Willunga) or a long drag (Big Bear) but a real mountain pass like you get in a Grand Tour? Not convinced yet. His time trialling has been decent. Hardly pretty damn good. He has plenty of time to improve that, but let's not jump the gun.

Even though I say that, I will still say that I think that as a rider he bears many of the traits of Paolo Bettini. I'm not saying he will or will not achieve as much, less or more than Bettini, but I am saying his skill set reminds me of him.

i absolutely agree with you!!!! Maybe he is better than Bettini in time trials especially short prologues and a little bit faster! but he is still 20 so he can improve a lot! he has already won 5 races this year and had a lot of top five results. Yesterday he has just lost to Goss who is a real sprinter for example , so yeah really big improvements ahead of him

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

I do agree with you that he cannot go with the best climbers yet, he is an average climber at the moment, especially on longer climbs he won't be able to follow. I myself see him more as a classics, both northern and hilly, and short stage race rider.
However I do believe it all depends on what he focuses on and what his goals are. If he focuses a lot on climbing I do believe he could be a GC contender, although he should focus on his TT ability as well, but I do not think this would be the best and most appropriate route for him. Also he is still young and we'll just need to see in what manner he develops, which also depends on where Liquigas lets him race. But really he can still become everything, this mainly due to the fact that he has an adequate basis in all types of riding, although again his TT ability is seriously lacking

dabaideschbi said:
Well i am very happy that you guys agree with me! he is absolutely a great rider!!!!! i read that he is going to ride the tour of suisse next week but he is not going to the tour!!! he is still very young so he will gain experience slowly! But i won't be so surprised if in the end of september in australia he will...........

hes done good job in philly,was very happy with his second place saying first he wanted to be on Gosss wheel but then got stuck on the left side and just managed to get second

he is goin to ride tour de suisse but he said he s very tired and in need of rest,but i think he will ride national championship (its not 100% confirmed for sagan,but both velits brothers and kreuziger promised participation)...he ll not ride TdF or Vuelta,he said he doesnt want to, instead he wants to prepare for world championships

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dabaideschbi said:

The guy is so young that it wouldn't even be a let down if it takes him another 4-5 years to start winning really big races.
But let's hope it doesn't take him that long :)

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
saganftw said:
hes done good job in philly,was very happy with his second place saying first he wanted to be on Gosss wheel but then got stuck on the left side and just managed to get second

he is goin to ride tour de suisse but he said he s very tired and in need of rest,but i think he will ride national championship (its not 100% confirmed for sagan,but both velits brothers and kreuziger promised participation)...he ll not ride TdF or Vuelta,he said he doesnt want to, instead he wants to prepare for world championships

just a question! isn't kreuziger from czech republic???? so i think he is not going to race against sagan and velits brothers right?

saganftw said:

Kreuziger? In the Slovak championships?

saganftw said:
slovak and czech championship,its the same race for past number of years though both countries have their champions,every year is in different country i think this year it will be in czech republic:cool:

edit:afaik its the only race where you can win being second
Well, in that case, Liquigas has both the Czech and Slovak championships sewn up :cool:

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Well, in that case, Liquigas has both the Czech and Slovak championships sewn up :cool:

Could it perhaps be that Sagan and Kreuziger will help each other to get 1 and 2 and thus both national jerseys

theyoungest said:
Well, in that case, Liquigas has both the Czech and Slovak championships sealed up :cool:

it wont be easy because those guys we mentioned are riding against full teams,in fact there is always "alliance" of home teams against those riders in pro tour teams,its not that easy

and dont expect kreuziger and sagan work together,its different race for both though they are from same team

as i see it it will be velits brothers,martin working for peter as always and sagan (peter that is im not sure his brother - btw also liquigas- will ride) can strike surprised attack few km to go

as you can see there are number of tactical options for pro tour riders as well as for home team riders

Comments from the peloton about Peter Sagan:

"Incredible rider.. I think we will soon see him in other races, and that he will become a rival to watch out for."- Alberto Contador.

"I tell you this young Slovakian is showing a lot of talent" - Lance Armstrong.

"I saw him there at the top of the last climb and started concentrating on second. A guy that's as fast as him in the finish is always hard to beat." - Michael Rogers.

""He was at the front and he pulled off something simply amazing. He rode alone two kilometers with the headwinds and on top of that, the last 500 meters rose slightly up the hill. It took us all by surprise."- Roman Kreuziger

"Peter can go well in the one-day races, he's explosive and has a build like Cunego or Oscar Freire. For the long climbs, he has to improve a lot, but it is possible over the next years."- Stefano Zanatta, Liquigas manager.

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So Sagan is going to race the tour of suisse where there are some stages that really suits him very much(also for example riders like Gilbert), national championship( i don't think he will race also the time trial) and after all since he is not riding the tour and the vuelta, i see racing at the Brixia Tour,San Sebastian,Hamburg and tour de pologne and finish the season with world championships and paris/tours!!!!