• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phelps come back ? C'mon now..

With his recent come back to not only compete but to “dominate” once again, should raise huge suspicions and it would be naive to think Phelps is clean.

I can only hope his story gets exposed at some point ? Or have the US learned from the Lance situation, and will do everything in their power to covet and keep Phelps protected ?

Will Phelps face an attack from Taggart ? or someone else from USADA ? or will they let it be ?

I'm interested in your thoughts ?

masking_agent said:
With his recent come back to not only compete but to “dominate” once again, should raise huge suspicions and it would be naive to think Phelps is clean.

I can only hope his story gets exposed at some point ? Or have the US learned from the Lance situation, and will do everything in their power to covet and keep Phelps protected ?

Will Phelps face an attack from Taggart ? or someone else from USADA ? or will they let it be ?

I suggested that there is very little chance of Phelps being clean these Olympics or any other. I wrote on a FB post about Phelps a few days ago that he's beating and dominating suspicious swimmers and ones that have been busted already. Just like Lilly King and Katie Ledecky have. I also suggested that while the US Swim team does have a rich tradition, going back to the very early days of the modern Olympics, it doesn't mean they have been doing it clean. There are a lot of good swimmers that keep coming up the ranks, but something is in the water (pun intended). I didn't get a whole lot of hate, but just confusion as to why would I even think that the US is doping its swimmers, and the usual, 'just because someone beats dopers, doesn't mean he/she is also doped.' One of the respondents to my comment, who has worked at a national federation and at the USOC in some form, told me that he doesn't understand my 'cynicism,' and that there are indeed medal winning athletes that are clean. Typical responses. Phelps does have physical attributes that help him, and being part of a swimming powerhouse where athletes continually push each other, but clean? No, I don't think so.

As far as being protected, well that comes in play too, big time. If he ever does get busted (apart from his joke of a sanction for marijuana or whatever it was), it will be years down the road when someone else will be a dominant force and we'll look at him as people are looking at Mark Spitz (though obviously not many suspicions have flown around Spitz to my knowledge), and/or they'll say, 'well, I am sure everyone else was doing it too.' Yet, when I write that US swimmers are suspicious, dominating at will, I am told that a universal cynicism is not warranted.

masking_agent said:

he won't be exposed unless he starts to be a real *** (Armstrong's way) :D

glassmoon said:
masking_agent said:

he won't be exposed unless he starts to be a real **** (Armstrong's way) :D

He actually was kind of an a**, but he seems to have been scared into being at least semi-civilized after his last DUI bust. Phelps is an interesting case -- he has some sort of attention disorder/borderline Asbergers, and he spent most of his formative years by himself, either in a pool or at home with a single mother. So he would be seem to be ripe pickings for an unscrupulous coach. I don't see him as the initiator of a regime.

On the other hand, he does have physical attributes and an apparent will to win, in a sport that rewards both and in a country that sees swimming as a legitimate sport that garners a lot of money and support.

Would I be surprised if he was dirty? I'd be more surprised if he wasn't, but I hope for his sake he is clean. I'm not sure he's emotionally prepared for the fallout.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
not a big follower of swimming, but if i am suspicious of anyone using steroids phelps is high on that list.

if i do know about the anabolic adrenergic steroids anything, it is that only stupid or sloppy get caught given the glaring holes in the current testing of the short half life variants. the outrage with which he handled his bong smoke leaks, indicates to me he took care not to repeat the mistake...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Any comparison with Lance is wishful thinking.
Lance was never supposed to go down. Lance did go down due to a combinattion of unique circumstances (see also glassmoons comment above). Once his downfall was unavoidable, usada set out to make an example of him.
Nothing of the sort will ever happen to the likes of bolt, Phelps, etc.
Like Lance pre2010, these guys are severely protected.

. Imo were definitely looking at massive hgh and steroid abuse combined with a cocktail of designer drugs.
Epo is there too I guess, if only to increase his training hours

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Bolder said:
glassmoon said:
masking_agent said:

he won't be exposed unless he starts to be a real **** (Armstrong's way) :D

He actually was kind of an a**, but he seems to have been scared into being at least semi-civilized after his last DUI bust. Phelps is an interesting case -- he has some sort of attention disorder/borderline Asbergers, and he spent most of his formative years by himself, either in a pool or at home with a single mother. So he would be seem to be ripe pickings for an unscrupulous coach. I don't see him as the initiator of a regime.

On the other hand, he does have physical attributes and an apparent will to win, in a sport that rewards both and in a country that sees swimming as a legitimate sport that garners a lot of money and support.

Would I be surprised if he was dirty? I'd be more surprised if he wasn't, but I hope for his sake he is clean. I'm not sure he's emotionally prepared for the fallout.

I imagine that nearly all top athletes were scared straight following the Armstrong ordeal and portray themselves as nice as possible in public.

Swimming is as legitimate as running and jumping is. Humans have been swimming (and drowning from not being good enough) for eons.