• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil and Paul

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
"A lot of people watch the Tour to see the scenery and the chateaux, Paul, but also a lot watch to see the cows."

No comment necessary

Are they drunk?

Luckily I watch French Eurosport.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
BigRingAbuse said:
Stage 13

Phil: "There's the Swiss flag for Albasini, the Beligian flag on the right is for the team of Andre Greipel, because he is German."

Paul: "Well if Greipel wins today I think he will be an honorary Belgian because the Belgians will be all over his support"

Phil: "Just look at the face of Vinokourov, Albasini… you've got to take your hat off"

Phil: "And Boyzzen Haaagen is on the wheel of… he's on the wheel of…! W..… Boyzzen Haaagen is sitting on the wheel of…"

Paul: "Bradley Wiggins"

Phil: " Yes Wiggins. I couldn't get it out any more"

Armchair cyclist said:
"A lot of people watch the Tour to see the scenery and the chateaux, Paul, but also a lot watch to see the cows."

No comment necessary

Someone should make a book out of this!!!:p

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
BigRingAbuse said:
Stage 13

Phil: "There's the Swiss flag for Albasini, the Beligian flag on the right is for the team of Andre Greipel, because he is German."

Paul: "Well if Greipel wins today I think he will be an honorary Belgian because the Belgians will be all over his support"

Phil: "Just look at the face of Vinokourov, Albasini… you've got to take your hat off"

Phil: "And Boyzzen Haaagen is on the wheel of… he's on the wheel of…! W..… Boyzzen Haaagen is sitting on the wheel of…"

The yellow jersey was the clue Phil.

BigRingAbuse said:
Stage 13

LOL!!!

omg...after they started realizing the number of punctures and talking about tacks on the road, they were waiting for more info trickling in and Phil said that he just heard a report "that there were 28 tacks on the road!"

Lol. I think he meant that there were 28 flats on the road. :D

Boyzzen Hagen....love that spelling

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
LOL!!!

omg...after they started realizing the number of punctures and talking about tacks on the road, they were waiting for more info trickling in and Phil said that he just heard a report "that there were 28 tacks on the road!"

Lol. I think he meant that there were 28 flats on the road. :D

Boyzzen Hagen....love that spelling

Yes, the 28 tacks part was hilarious! :D

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I found this opinion piece from the Australian website news.com.au today extolling the virtues of Phil & Paul's commentary.

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/I-dont-really-get-sport-but-Jadore-Le-Tour-de-France/

The columnist writes:

That’s the thing about Le Tour. It’s all about presentation. And when it comes to presentation, nobody does it better than that commentary duo, Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen.

I could listen to Phil and Paul talk cycling for hours – so soothing are their tones. But it’s not just those bedroom voices that do it for me. As a former cyclist and journalist, Sherwen has ridden with and covered most of the cyclists that have come through Le Tour in recent years, and he has their histories burned into his memory. With every controversy or spill, he is there, ready and armed with a history of rider tantrums or doping scandals.

The two of them can recount the cyclists’ every achievement back from their earliest days in cycling. No rider is free from their epic memory. They also know an awful lot about all the regions of France and their politics going back to the Middle Ages. They’ll recount Marie Antoinette’s travels across the country, and monarchical conflicts across time. By the end of the tour you’ll be the France wikipedia page.

The Tour De France commentary is different from most because it’s a three week race. You can’t narrate it the way you would a horse race or a rugby match. There can be times where there isn’t much action for hours on end. Occasionally someone will fall down, chuck a tantrum or gets accused of doping – and when that happens you’re in your element - but in between that, it’s just a bunch of guys cycling past yet another vineyard.

You’ve got to supplement that with something interesting that makes people want to keep watching.

And Liggett does it so well. So well, in fact, that I worry what will happen to the popularity of the Tour De France once he retires.

God forbid SBS ever have an All-Aussie commentators lineup. Matthew Keenan does a good job warming the chair for Sherwen and Liggett, but let’s leave it there.

:eek::eek::eek:

The columnist must be watching a different broadcast of the TDF to me - the Phil & Paul I get can't identify most of the cyclists most of the time - not even when they are in the yellow jersey :D

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
The Joker said:
I found this opinion piece from the Australian website news.com.au today extolling the virtues of Phil & Paul's commentary.

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/I-dont-really-get-sport-but-Jadore-Le-Tour-de-France/

The columnist writes:

:eek::eek::eek:

The columnist must be watching a different broadcast of the TDF to me - the Phil & Paul I get can't identify most of the cyclists most of the time - not even when they are in the yellow jersey :D

Or perhaps they are somewhat new to cycling. I thought they were good when I first started watching. Now I realise they are a pair of dinosaurs who don't belong in the commentary booth any more, relics of another age.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
alberto.legstrong said:
Is there one person here who hasn't heard these two umpteen times and had them commentate on one of our own rides? (or EVERY one of their own) I have the same hill as I get back to my home all the time and depending on how tapped I am at the end it can be a pain. It puts me in a spot of bother, but sometimes I throw down the gauntlet, turn myself inside out, reach into my suitcase of courage, mispronounce my own name a few times and then as I reach the summit there is the very technical descent and of course it's always a daredevil descent by me.

This hill is about .4 miles long at a max of about 6% for 150 feet and the descent is arrow straight at about 3%.

It's all relative.

This is my vote for the post of the thread, an out-loud laugh when I needed one.

Should this be a sticky thread?

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Boy this is fun. Phil and Paul bashing. Just found this forum, and it's good to know that I'm not the only one in the world who's had it with those two. Actually I got so fed up that I googled for "Phil and Paul clowns", and this forum was at the top of the results. I was beginning to compare P&P to Laurel and Hardy. Or if there were only two Stooges that would also work. Woop woop woop.

For my money, the best commentary I've heard is the old Cycling TV teams of Marty MacDonald / Magnus Backstedt, and Anthony Macrossan / Brian Smith. Too bad CTV got sidelined by Universal. Schlanger and Gogulski are decent, but it sounds like Schlager got his start in monster truck racing.

And contrary to other posters I don't think it's necessary to dumb down coverage for newbies. The CTV guys were good at educating as well as providing excellent commentary. As far as excitement is concerned I can supply my own thanks.

And, my favorite philism so far is "he is hanging them in their sights." I kid you not - I replayed it just to be sure I didn't mishear. This was just a few stages ago, so it's a new contribution from our favorite buffoon. Anyway thanks for the laughs folks.

just shoot 'em!

andiamo said:
Boy this is fun. Phil and Paul bashing. Just found this forum, and it's good to know that I'm not the only one in the world who's had it with those two. Actually I got so fed up that I googled for "Phil and Paul clowns", and this forum was at the top of the results. ...

Welcome.

Did anyone notice today how Phil was raging and raving-on about the tacks on the road yesterday (which I agree was a despicable, cowardly, evil thing to do), and he straight up said that "whoever was responsible for the tacks should be shot!" (paraphrasing, but he did say, "SHOT.") :eek:

And then when NBCSports came back after commercial break, the first thing Phil had to say was (paraphrasing), "Of course there previously when I said that whoever put the tacks on the road should be SHOT, I didn't mean that literally, and besides, that opinion is my own, and doesn't reflect the views of my employer or this network." lol!! :rolleyes:

joe_papp said:
Welcome.

Did anyone notice today how Phil was raging and raving-on about the tacks on the road yesterday (which I agree was a despicable, cowardly, evil thing to do), and he straight up said that "whoever was responsible for the tacks should be shot!" (paraphrasing, but he did say, "SHOT.") :eek:

And then when NBCSports came back after commercial break, the first thing Phil had to say was (paraphrasing), "Of course there previously when I said that whoever put the tacks on the road should be SHOT, I didn't mean that literally, and besides, that opinion is my own, and doesn't reflect the views of my employer or this network." lol!! :rolleyes:

Personally I rather liked Wiggins' idea to just ship them off to a football match.