• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil Liggert claims Federal investigators paid people to lie about Armstrong

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Zultronova said:
What's the likelihood that Phil Liggett received a few brown envelopes from Armstrong so that he could act as another spin doctor......

phil-lance.jpg

Brown envelope with reach-around included @no extra charge.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Yingge said:
Could be that one winner out of all this in the commentator stakes might be Matthew Keenan.

I would love to see SBS' Matthew Keenan get the gig. Sounds like a nice bloke, very knowledgable and an excellent commentator.

cineteq said:
Condensed interview from 4 Corners
http://cyclocosm.tumblr.com/post/33772421864/firephilliggett-phil-seems-ready-to-concede

He still owes an apology to the USADA riders whom he called liars.

He owes an apology to a few more people than that.

He is now transitioning to the worst of the fanboy apoligisms is the whole level playing field nonsense: everyone else was doping, too.

This is the worst apologist line as even a cursory understanding underscores the extreme nature of the competitive disadvantage. It remains amazing that this apoligism has any legs left.

The most obvious rebuttal:

Did everyone else pay their doping doctor $1m?

Isn't that like having an Indy 500 pit crew for your commuter car?

How could anyone else compete?

Dave.

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Adam Crozier ceo of ITV and former ceo of the FA, must know a little about sport.

He may well not know that Liggett is not where cycling is heading nor where this noble sport needs to be.

Can anyone with a good grasp of words and Liggetts bs pen a complaint and post it up, so that I (and countless others) can print and sign it and send it direct private and confidential to Cozier?

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
He owes an apology to a few more people than that.

He is now transitioning to the worst of the fanboy apoligisms is the whole level playing field nonsense: everyone else was doping, too.

This is the worst apologist line as even a cursory understanding underscores the extreme nature of the competitive disadvantage. It remains amazing that this apoligism has any legs left.

The most obvious rebuttal:

Did everyone else pay their doping doctor $1m?

Isn't that like having an Indy 500 pit crew for your commuter car?

How could anyone else compete?

Dave.

Everyone needs to tell Leggit to his face what he is, use your own words. I had always thought Armstrong to be the biggest Arts whole in cycling but Leggit is pulling ahead. There is no doubt now in my mind that he has had to launder a lot of loose dollars!!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
U turn?

Just caught part of an article on the evening news (I was cooking). Liggett has been interviewed somewhere and has used the adjective 'disgraced' re LA.

Anyone know where this interview is? Would love more

court strategy for sale (joke)

so... i've got this idea: let's assume they've never (or 99%) been tested positive... what if they'd (JB, Ferari, etc) say: we've just gave them placebo and said it was epo (or whatever) to boost their performance mentally. So if they'd stick to our team supplies they'd never tested positive (as it was most of the times). but occassionally they used own illegal stuff (yeah, they lied to us :p) and get busted.
i will sell this strategy to JB, Ferari for let's say... 20 million bucks.
:cool: :cool: :cool:
:D

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
131313 said:
This should surprise no one. This old fool has been complicit from the very beginning. He's a liar and a fraud, just like his hero, so this is just par for the course.

Rides on the Livestrong jet, lots of free meals and other occasional "benefits", and Phil is a friend for life. At the end of the day, these guys are just as responsible for the problems of doping than Lance Armstrong himself. Only with willing and complicit journalists could the fraud have continued for this long.

Don't they have investments in the same companies too? Phil's ridden the Armstrong gravy train for years, all this is a silly attempt to cast doubt and maybe make a headline or two for himself.... time fo teh old folks home, mate...

The one, the only Phil Liggett

The man seems to have lost it completly:

Liggett has been a constant supporter of Armstrong through the rider’s career and through numerous doping allegations. He admitted to not having read the report, with his information having been received second-hand through news sources. He told Cyclingnews: “It is a witch hunt, lets face it, because they only want Lance. Call it what you like, the fact is they only have one ambition and that’s to get Lance.”

Liggett, who has commented on the Tour de France for a number of television networks in a career that has spanned 40 years and 35 Tours, added that he was still a supporter of Armstrong, despite the fact the revelations around Armstrong's doping had made him ‘look like a fool’.

“If he’s been taking drugs then of course it’s right [to sanction] but they still lack the absolute proof as far as I’m aware. I still am a supporter of Armstrong. Whatever way we look at it Lance has been good for the sport. No one can condone, if it’s finally proved, that he’s ridden his whole career on drugs. I had an email from an eminent scientist from the US yesterday. An SMS actually. It said if Lance Armstrong had taken the drugs outlined by USADA he’d have been dead ten years ago. He’s an eminent scientist and a very intelligent man. I don’t know his name, the SMS came from a secondary person.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/despite-usadas-evidence-liggett-remains-armstrongs-supporter

Questions: Should this man, considering this, still be considered the voice of cycling and not the voice of insanity? And could this man still comment cycling with a straight face?

This is probably the worst piece of crap i have read in this Armstrong-spin.

TRENDING THREADS