• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil Liggett Re-Recording History

If anybody looks up youtube footage of Greg LeMond clinching the 1989 Tour de France you will hear Phil Liggett correctly announcing Laurent Fignon has lost the lead as he finishes the Paris time-trial.

This commentary was re-recorded after Phil completely blew the original and while in a confused meltdown awarded the race to Fignon.

That fact is burned in my memory from the time of the original live broadcast.

Now to prove it we need to find somebody with an original video recording, which includes Phil's initial commentary, which was so bad he had to go away and re-write history with what we now hear whenever that time-trial is broadcast.

Even in the youtube comments Phil is showered with praise for his 'expert' commentary.

Anyone else remember this?

TMJ said:
If anybody looks up youtube footage of Greg LeMond clinching the 1989 Tour de France you will hear Phil Liggett correctly announcing Laurent Fignon has lost the lead as he finishes the Paris time-trial.

This commentary was re-recorded after Phil completely blew the original and while in a confused meltdown awarded the race to Fignon.

That fact is burned in my memory from the time of the original live broadcast.

Now to prove it we need to find somebody with an original video recording, which includes Phil's initial commentary, which was so bad he had to go away and re-write history with what we now hear whenever that time-trial is broadcast.

Even in the youtube comments Phil is showered with praise for his 'expert' commentary.

Anyone else remember this?

Watching the link posted above it seems yr memory betrays you. The mistake Phil made was getting the timing confused (one of only 3,687 times hes done this in his career!) as Fignon was about 1 min from the finish, causing him to prematurely award the race to Lemond. It seems like Lemond, or someone near Lemond, was listening to Phil's commentary at the time because Lemond gives a sort of bemused cheer just after Phil's blunder, and then of course there's confusion shortly after when they realise Phil cocked up!

He has done it many times. Its a real shame because ITV have some top quality pundits but they back up worse than dogshite commentators. Didnt Liggest promise never to commentate again if LA was ever caught doping ?

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Frosty said:
Not sure, don't remember that myself but have heard a few errors over the years on live coverage that have disappeared when i have watched the highlights. Mistakes are made on live TV though. Bit of an embarassing error at about 6 minutes on the below link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OindJEa98Qw

On the other hand, the commentary from 1987 La Plagne stage is fantastic

Enjoyed watching that again. Thanks for posting :)

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Richeypen said:
He has done it many times. Its a real shame because ITV have some top quality pundits but they back up worse than dogshite commentators. Didnt Liggest promise never to commentate again if LA was ever caught doping ?

I can't watch ITV because the adverts are too long. Liggett is Murray Walker. Yeh Boardman, Miller and I think Immelt (is that right ex American Football Channel 4 guy) is brill.

But Eurosport I love the Kelly/Kirby duo :) although Hitch hates em

Re: Re:

Fight.The.Power said:
Richeypen said:

I can't watch ITV because the adverts are too long. Liggett is Murray Walker. Yeh Boardman, Miller and I think Immelt (is that right ex American Football Channel 4 guy) is brill.

But Eurosport I love the Kelly/Kirby duo :) although Hitch hates em
Immlach is excellent as host and for footy fans his book about his old fella is a brilliant unsentimental read about a period before money ruled everything.

Same happened this TDF on the Dutch channel. I think it was stage 15 (not 100% sure, it was the one Greipel won) Stybar attacked and one of the commentators said "It's Trentin again!" They showed him close up and you could just feel they then realized it probably wasn't Trentin, but they didn't know who it was "Yes that's..... that is him" ( :eek: )
Anyway, later that evening during highlights, the commentary had been changed to "It's Stybar again!" :eek: :p

Good ol' Phil is still at it now in 2015.

At the conclusion of today's stage at the top of Alpe d'Huez he announced Nairo Quintana had won the King of the Mountains jersey.

Keep up the good work Phil. I'm glad to hear you are still on song!

TRENDING THREADS