• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Philadelphia International Championship

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Which sprinter will win this year? I'm going with Chicchi.

I really think they should get rid of the Lemon Hill circuits. It gives the peleton time to regroup and go after any breakaway, and get everyone together to set up a pack sprint. I'd rather it was a straight shot from the top of The Wall to The Parkway, so an individual or group could make use of the climb.

Being one of the few locals who actually cares who wins (OK, so I like getting bombed too), I figured I'd throw this out there.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The_Z_man said:
Which sprinter will win this year? I'm going with Chicchi.

I really think they should get rid of the Lemon Hill circuits. It gives the peleton time to regroup and go after any breakaway, and get everyone together to set up a pack sprint. I'd rather it was a straight shot from the top of The Wall to The Parkway, so an individual or group could make use of the climb.

Being one of the few locals who actually cares who wins (OK, so I like getting bombed too), I figured I'd throw this out there.

Peter Sagan, who else these days!

Agree about the Lemon Hill circuits. If I remember correctly, last year Manuel Quinziato attacked on the final circuit, only to be reeled in the final km. Having a Manyunk climb so close to the finish would make for some awesome attacks.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm hoping for a Sagan win...but I see him or Chicchi winning it. You can never count out the HTC train though, when they stack that whole team on the front like last year kinda hard to beat them.

I like the 3 laps on Lemon Hill, just for the fun factor, but I see your point. Any last attack up the Wall, can be brought back on those three laps.

FYI Bahati(and co.) is hanging out in Cadence on Friday night for their usual pre-race soiree.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
mikeNphilly said:
I'm hoping for a Sagan win...but I see him or Chicchi winning it. You can never count out the HTC train though, when they stack that whole team on the front like last year kinda hard to beat them.

I like the 3 laps on Lemon Hill, just for the fun factor, but I see your point. Any last attack up the Wall, can be brought back on those three laps.

FYI Bahati(and co.) is hanging out in Cadence on Friday night for their usual pre-race soiree.

where is Cadence?

Most likely the winner will be from either Liquigas or HTC - I think that Chicchi, Sagan, or Goss are all obvious picks although I don't know how much Goss has left in the tank after the Giro.

I think that the Lemon Hill circuits do guarantee a sprint finish, but I always watch the race from there, so I don't want to see them taken out. We always like to see what type of lead any small breakaway has as they pass us by and there have been a few years when the winning move was launched on Lemon Hill, which isn't that easy after putting in 150+ miles.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
mikeNphilly said:
Cadence is located on Main street in Manayunk...on the right hand side of the street if you are headed away from the city.

Ok thanks. Bahati is still going to be there even though his foundation is essentially toast and not even racing this year?

Also watch out for Daniel Oss on a break again. He was in the final break with EBH and a (?)Bissell rider, and seemed to be very motivated. maybe he's out for revenge this year

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It seems Bahati Foundation is racing in Philly, I was kinda suprised as well when they told me in the shop on tuesday.

Will be a fun weekend no matter who wins, is always a good day at the race. Hopefully I do better in the Saturday time trial then I have in the past years. I wish Rock Racing was coming...so confused on what to wear to the race now lol..maybe I'll get some Liquigas green.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I think if the race organization really wants to break things up it needs to add climbs on other side of the Schuylkill, near Gladwynne, before the Wall. The Wall is very steep but the descent comes so soon after cresting that even heavy guys can now just go deep into the red and stay with it.

It seems a lot of one-day events are having trouble breaking things up in recent years - not sure if this is a technology thing or something tactical.

I don't know if is a technological issue as much as the problems in getting permission to shut down that many streets. A lot of Philadelphians love to act like they are incredibly inconvenienced by this one day race because they can't drive on the roads for about 8 hours. This is only over a 14 mile closed loop. If they were to try to extend it into the burbs, I think there would be a major outcry over the 'inconvenience' it poses. Although there are many cycling enthusiasts in the Philly region, we don't appear to be the majority by any stretch of imagination.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
A heads up...the Comcast Sports Network is scheduled to show the race Sunday at 2pm eastern time. It's on channels 630 and 642 for people with Directv, so you don't have to be in the area to get it. You have to have the Directv sports package though.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Zigster said:
I think if the race organization really wants to break things up it needs to add climbs on other side of the Schuylkill, near Gladwynne, before the Wall. The Wall is very steep but the descent comes so soon after cresting that even heavy guys can now just go deep into the red and stay with it.

It seems a lot of one-day events are having trouble breaking things up in recent years - not sure if this is a technology thing or something tactical.
That would be way outside of the normal race course. I really don't know how they would make that work. It does sound interesting, however. Do they want to cross the river and climb up Belmont?

This race has come down to a pack sprint many times in the past. That would lead me to believe that it's more of a tactical thing. The way the end of the race plays out, it is easier to chase down a break than to stay away.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The road closures to get the race into Lower Merion would probably never happen, one because of public outcry and two because of cost, but it would be great to watch. Guess they could go up School House Lane off of Ridge ave, cut across Henry and down Midvale, but you are having a big downhill after a climb again and basically in the same boat(and closing Henry).

Hell, have the race finish at the top of the Wall, at least we could boast something the ToC does not have, a mountain top finish

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Race Day!!

After 3 days in bed sick, should be fun riding around the course today.

If CN has no live updates, I will check back on my new HTC Evo(woot), and update as possible if anyone wants to know what is happening.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Philly is probably the oldest and most prestigious North American classic that is still running, and the first day of the Dauphine is a 6km prologue. I know which one I'd rather watch.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The internet says this is going out live on Versus, anyone know what time coverage starts and whether streams are expected to materialise?

there's one announcer, I guess he's from Comcast, but he's constantly praising the race, the history of the race, the importance of the race, the qualit of the American teams, etc etc etc and he does it such a manner that he pulls the race down. You can tell he has real inferiority complex about it.

TRENDING THREADS