• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Philippe Gilbert Discussion Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
El Pistolero said:
roubaix06-tom.jpg

In this case, different jersey and different bib. ;)
Different jersey :rolleyes: You don't say! He was leading the ProTour and had to wear the Protour jersey! (of course it was a fusion with the worlds jersey)

EDIT: Here you have him when he *wasn't* leading the ProTour:
tomboonen.jpg

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Different jersey :rolleyes: You don't say! He was leading the ProTour and had to wear the Protour jersey! (of course it was a fusion with the worlds jersey)

EDIT: Here you have him when he *wasn't* leading the ProTour:
tomboonen.jpg

I know that lol. Hence the wink. Also we were talking about standard WC kits, the fusion jersey is proof that it's not always the same.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
GPdesAmeriques said:
It was probably different in the past, but now the World Champion can either wear white rainbow shorts or their normal trade team shorts. You can't put rainbow bands on black shorts.

http://www.uci.ch/includes/asp/getTarget.asp?type=FILE&id=NDE5NDk
Where do you get that from? It merely says that "The wearer of the world champion jersey is entitled to match the colour of his shorts to the colour of the jersey."

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Where do you get that from? It merely says that "The wearer of the world champion jersey is entitled to match the colour of his shorts to the colour of the jersey."

Actually I have no idea what I'm talking about! This looks like Gilbert's new uniform for 2013.

A4HT9hyCUAAuzlB.jpg

ultimobici said:

Last year (well, early this year), Cavendish wanted to wear black Sky shorts with rainbow stripes. UCI said no, either white shorts with rainbow stripes or the regular team shorts.
Cavendish opted for the regular, black shorts.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Google is your friend.

The Messy Divorce of Gilbert & Couke is the title.

"For the medicine cabinet" is the phrase in the bubble. I'll leave you to arrive at your own conclusions.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Google is your friend.

The Messy Divorce of Gilbert & Couke is the title.

"For the medicine cabinet" is the phrase in the bubble. I'll leave you to arrive at your own conclusions.

It's a joke on the fact that Coucke has sued Gilbert because he didn't honor his contract that said he should've stayed with the team until 2012. There's a court case going on right now. The only way Marec can make cycling cartoons funny is by throwing in a doping insinuation seeing as all his cycling cartoons revolve around the same thing these days.

Interesting comments by PG on CN today.
Acknowledging the mistakes he made in shifting teams, and how long it took to sort out.
I think this aspect if often overlooked by our friends on the c***** page.
Also complaining about having to use new saddle & pedals.....I can believe saddles feel different, but pedals (if cleats set up properly??):eek:

coinneach said:
Interesting comments by PG on CN today.
Acknowledging the mistakes he made in shifting teams, and how long it took to sort out.
I think this aspect if often overlooked by our friends on the c***** page.
Also complaining about having to use new saddle & pedals.....I can believe saddles feel different, but pedals (if cleats set up properly??):eek:

Of course. Clinic regulars treat cyclists as machines with a fixed watt/kg output over time, especially after the age of 24. It makes life (and their agenda) easy but it is ignoring a lot of other variables.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
He didn't do too bad in AGR, but was pretty bad today. Can he be a factor for LBL? Or does he not have the form?
IMO I don't see him winning on Sunday, a podium is probably his best shot.

Afrank said:
He didn't do too bad in AGR, but was pretty bad today. Can he be a factor for LBL? Or does he not have the form?
IMO I don't see him winning on Sunday, a podium is probably his best shot.

he can win if it somehow stays together and he can sprint the last 200m if he doesn't have to spend much energy before

but that most likely will never happen. Meaning he might win the sprint for 3rd place or something but that's really the maximum. If it's a real hard race he might not even finish top 15

I think his form is ok, not 2011, not september 2012 but better than spring 2012. The biggest difference is the extra weight he seem to have. Don't think its only the RRC dress that has unfavorable design...

Extra weight has a larger inpact on a steep wall like Mur, than at a more rolling hill like cauberg.

For LBL he should be there in the end. I don't think he will fall over on any of the LBL hills. He looked better this AGR than the one in 2012 and is likely not gonna run empty at the top of the hill replacing roche aux faucons with 20km to go.

Have a feeling that LBL will have a larger group than usual coming into saint-nicholas. But its LBL so its quite difficult to estimate that. Theres a vast array of possibilities.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
they took too early conclusion that he was good after agr, not the other way around like you claim :rolleyes:

Yeah he was dropping gerrans and valverde, real bad.

He was obviously going too early on the muur.

Btw what was his result in 2010 here? And how did he do in LBL that year?

Yeah...:eek:

TRENDING THREADS