• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Philippe Gilbert Discussion Thread

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it's about time we got a Philippe Gilbert discussion thread, to discuss all things Phil. I found a couple other Gilbert threads but they were just about how he dominated 2011.

Philippe_Gilbert_1877197i.jpg

Philippe Gilbert: Winner of the Ardennes triple, 2 time winner of AGR, winner of San Sebastian, 2 time winner of Paris-Tours, 2 time winner of Giro di Lombardia. 9 total Classic wins and 16 podiums in the classics. And now...

A world champion
worlds12-men-rr-gilbert.jpg

El Pistolero said:
I wonder if he'll go all-out rainbow. :D

Ala Cippo?

I am chuffed to bits to see Big Phil win it, I love him as a rider, its a shame he has had a mixed season really, massivly dissapointing when you place it next to last season, but it proves IMO the guy is human.

I hope he has a good one next season.

A rainbow win in Lombardia?

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
Yes, great win. At least we should have a very visible Rainbow jersey now, only for people to complain that he doesn't feature in bunch sprints. :rolleyes:

I don't think this thread should be merged either, because as afrank put it the others were a lot different.

it was a great win and he truly is an awesome rider.

I believe that the rainbow jersey will be very visible next year, at least providing great show.

In 2010, he was on pair with Cadel Evans. Each on turn attacked.
In 2011, he excelled on the last hill, but couldn't keep it to the finish line.
In 2012, justice was done.

May 20, 2009
Visit site
Love watching Phil ride, that acceleration boom and he's gone. The best riders in the peloton left trailining in his wake.

Such panache.

Gonna stop gushing now!!

Afrank said:
But that thread like others is mostly about his domination of 2011, I thought we needed a more general discussion thread. If the mods feel different feel free to delete or combine with one of the existing threads.

All "discussion threads" were actually something else.before.1 day having the title changed to just" discussion thread"

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
All "discussion threads" were actually something else.before.1 day having the title changed to just" discussion thread"

Yes the were appreciation and depreciation threads before being turned to discussion. Personally I prefer the discussion threads.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Scatto said:
In 2010, he was on pair with Cadel Evans. Each on turn attacked.
In 2011, he excelled on the last hill, but couldn't keep it to the finish line.
In 2012, justice was done.

:D Perfect race by Gilbert... although now he might be too expensive to put on my fantasy team.

TRENDING THREADS