• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Philippe Gilbert Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
LaFlorecita said:
It's just the way he comes across. Funnily enough I hated him at the start of 2011, then I actually started liking him but now I hate him again :D (of course I don't really hate him, hate is a strong word)

This is cycling. There ain't no hate.

Watch football instead.

gustienordic said:
:D Perfect race by Gilbert... although now he might be too expensive to put on my fantasy team.

That's the bad side of it.:D

He's riding Piemonte on Thursday maybe he'll honour the Rainbow Jersey with a win.
I am also hopeful that he can win either MSR or Ronde next year.

I am sure he'll focus on these two next. at least he can come close to his ambition of winning all five Monuments.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Phil shows off his new jersey.
548177_281692651931179_1462843065_n.jpg

250055_281692718597839_236543350_n.jpg

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
the asian said:
That's the bad side of it.:D

He's riding Piemonte on Thursday maybe he'll honour the Rainbow Jersey with a win.
I am also hopeful that he can win either MSR or Ronde next year.

I am sure he'll focus on these two next. at least he can come close to his ambition of winning all five Monuments.

I think winning LBL in the Rainbow Jersey will be at the top of his list.

Shardi said:
Anyone with a list of all the big classics/1day races he hasnt won?

Looking forward to see the rainbow jersey breaking away from the field in the year to come.

Out of the monuments he has yet to win MSR, PR, & Ronde even though he has podiumed at both MSr and Ronde.

Among the other World Tour one day races he has yet to win Ghent-Wevelgem, E3 Prijs and Montreal.

LaFlorecita said:
It's just the way he comes across. Funnily enough I hated him at the start of 2011, then I actually started liking him but now I hate him again :D (of course I don't really hate him, hate is a strong word)

How can you not like Gilbert but like someone like Contador?

Camulos said:
How can you not like Gilbert but like someone like Contador?

If you want to discuss why I love Alberto we can do that in the Alberto discussion thread, I have about a billion reasons. Why I don't like Phil, hmm he is a bit too arrogant for my liking, I overreacted a bit on Sunday :eek: :), I think he definitely deserves the jersey but that doesn't mean I like him.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
If you want to discuss why I love Alberto we can do that in the Alberto discussion thread, I have about a billion reasons. Why I don't like Phil, hmm he is a bit too arrogant for my liking, I overreacted a bit on Sunday :eek: :), I think he definitely deserves the jersey but that doesn't mean I like him.

Why do you like Valverde then? He's a scumbag.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gilbert-row-casts-new-doubt-over-pereiro

LaFlorecita said:

I like a bit of arrogance on a rider, saying that you will win tomorrow and then destroying the competition is just awesome. Vandebroucke did it, Ricco did it and Gilbert does it, they are more than just cyclists. They are rockstars!:D

Arrogance aside, Gilbert is a very enjoying rider to watch, always on the offensive and making the race hard. On top of that he's got a real winner mentality going for every race he rides. Contador on the other hand has given stages in Grand Tours to other riders on quite a few occasions, something I don't take lightly. A real champion doesn't give away stage wins in the Giro or the Tour.

Gilbert is just so more brutal than Contador IMHO, Contador lack's the grinta and charisma which riders like Gilbert, Cancellara and Boonen possess.

Camulos said:
I like a bit of arrogance on a rider, saying that you will win tomorrow and then destroying the competition is just awesome. Vandebroucke did it, Ricco did it and Gilbert does it, they are more than just cyclists. They are rockstars!:D

Arrogance aside, Gilbert is a very enjoying rider to watch, always on the offensive and making the race hard. On top of that he's got a real winner mentality going for every race he rides. Contador on the other hand has given stages in Grand Tours to other riders on quite a few occasions, something I don't take lightly. A real champion doesn't give away stage wins in the Giro or the Tour.

Gilbert is just so more brutal than Contador IMHO, Contador lack's the grinta and charisma which riders like Gilbert, Cancellara and Boonen possess.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=1034590#post1034590

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Camulos said:

+1, That's one of the things that make Gilbert such a great rider. If your going to be a great rider and be remembered in cycling's history books sometimes you have to be brutal in your riding and a little arrogant, for example by telling someone where your going to attack and then crushing everyone when you do. :D

After all guys like Eddy Merckx's or Vino aren't remembered for being nice guy in the peloton, they're remembered for wanting to win every race they entered and their brutal attacks. ;)

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Camulos said:
Contador on the other hand has given stages in Grand Tours to other riders on quite a few occasions, something I don't take lightly. A real champion doesn't give away stage wins in the Giro or the Tour.

I think thats one reason AC does appeal to the fans and other riders, he's going after GC's and only that, but he's such a Gent he can hand over stage wins to his co-racers (not GC competitors) as it may really boost their careers and good for the sport too. Something which seemed to rile Roche when Brad Wiggins caught him for Cavs tour win on 18/19.

AC knows that in the long run, he'll be paid back, just as he was in his breakaway on the key vuelta flat stage. being popular in the peloton can make a big difference to results.

Phil doesn't need to worry about all that if he's going after one day races. I respect them both, equally.

Camulos said:

I just don't think it's common among the Spanish riders for the most part to be publicly arrogant and cocky. They tend to be pretty reserved about their prospects in upcoming races, downplaying their chances. As far as Contador, your post is rather puzzling. Here is a rider that competes for the most part in almost every race he enters, riding aggressively and making the race hard for his opponents. These are attributes that you rave about when it applies to Gilbert but in turn fail to give Contador any credit for. Additionally I'd have to guess that you don't see Indurain as a "real champion", which would be absolutely ridiculous. Plus you rave about Ricco but how many major races has he actually won aside from the odd grand tour stage?

I can appreciate the "charisma" a rider shows when he's racing. If he's reserved and low key off the bike that's doesn't bother me one bit. Different strokes I guess.