• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Philippe Gilbert Webchat Transcript

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Swabian Lass said:
I liked the way that he said he, Thor and Cadel all sat down to discuss their goals and they were finished in 30 minutes because they all had different goals and there was not conflict. Oh yeah. Do you think they sat there in silence for 30 minutes and then there was a rush for the door.....

I am pretty sure they had things sorted before either Phil or Thor signed for BMC.

Cadel and Phil rode together at Lotto (whichever brand they were then) ... and worked really well together. Cadel is why Phil chose BMC.

Thor and Phil are best mates. They both signed with BMC so that they COULD ride together.

Interesting anecdote : after winning stage 1 at the Tour, Phil was interviewed and said him and Thor had talked during the stage and decided they would finish 1-2. He was a bit disappointed though, as Thor finished 3rd (Cadel was second) ..... however he was happy after the finish the next day as he gave his yellow jersey to Thor.

just some guy said:
I have been saying he will have a massive year next year because of Phil, hope I´m correct

[talking about GVA]

I agree with you - I think GVA will benefit from the tactics of BMC having so many leaders. GVA will be sent in the break often, and will hopefully do pretty well from being a second string to their bow.

auscyclefan94 said:
Are you drunk? Why wouldn't Thor make it to the Poggio? He's a better climber than any of the other sprinters?

I agree. Looking at this years Tour, Thor is one of the best sprinters at climbing in a long time.

The only people with a better climbing - sprint average are Valverde and Sagan. Thor seems even better than EBH atm.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Are you drunk? Why wouldn't Thor make it to the Poggio? He's a better climber than any of the other sprinters?

The Hitch said:
I agree. Looking at this years Tour, Thor is one of the best sprinters at climbing in a long time.

The only people with a better climbing - tt average are Valverde and Sagan. Thor seems even better than EBH atm.

No ACF not drunk just thinking - look at last year BMC had GVA,GH and Ballan in the finial section GH told GVA to attack and he did Ballan,GH and of course Gilbert road on the Fabian wheel.

So BMC had 4 riders in the final 13 I think it was if we count Gilbert as a BMC rider.

The only problem was there was a sprinter in the selection as well, how to make the race hard - send Thor up the road - every team will think um no thats not happening - and ride hard, average speed up sprinters get dropped and on the Poggio BMC would have their final 4 to play with.

Ballan and GH as Super Dom and GVA nad Gilbert as leaders and because the average speed has been up no sprinters.

Thats how I would play it.

see not drunk.

and then Thor has shown the team that he is a team player they ride for him at P-R which is the only win he wants - so he is happy.

GVA is treated as a leader and who knows - so he is happy

Gilbert needs a sprint from a small group- and wants MSR so he is happy

GH - Top 10 ish for the 432nd time at MSR so he is happy leading into the 1 race he wants to win - P-R but knows he needs to be lucky but will be happy to play a part for a team win - so he is happy

Ballan - just happy he is riding and getting payed.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

LOL!! What on earth has climbing ability got to do with San Remo?

The only climb of any length or altitude is the Turchino which rises a staggering 373m in 26km. That means an average gradient of barely 1.5%, something that can and is ridden à block. The Capi on the coast are short sharp ramps so also require little climbing prowess.

MSR is a race where one's team make a big difference. BMC v Sky is what matters. IMO they're pretty evenly matched with Cav having the speed Thor always dreamt of but never had.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
just some guy said:
No ACF not drunk just thinking - look at last year BMC had GVA,GH and Ballan in the finial section GH told GVA to attack and he did Ballan,GH and of course Gilbert road on the Fabian wheel.

So BMC had 4 riders in the final 13 I think it was if we count Gilbert as a BMC rider.

The only problem was there was a sprinter in the selection as well, how to make the race hard - send Thor up the road - every team will think um no thats not happening - and ride hard, average speed up sprinters get dropped and on the Poggio BMC would have their final 4 to play with.

Ballan and GH as Super Dom and GVA nad Gilbert as leaders and because the average speed has been up no sprinters.

Thats how I would play it.

see not drunk.

and then Thor has shown the team that he is a team player they ride for him at P-R which is the only win he wants - so he is happy.

GVA is treated as a leader and who knows - so he is happy

Gilbert needs a sprint from a small group- and wants MSR so he is happy

GH - Top 10 ish for the 432nd time at MSR so he is happy leading into the 1 race he wants to win - P-R but knows he needs to be lucky but will be happy to play a part for a team win - so he is happy

Ballan - just happy he is riding and getting payed.

kinda baseless speculation tho. :eek:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

The only people with a better climbing - sprint average are Valverde and Sagan. Thor seems even better than EBH atm.

Sagan gets dropped on all the hills in real classics, let alone real mountains :confused:
He's still too young right now.

The Hitch said:

I guess you didn't watch Dauphine, Oman or any other stage than nr 13 in TDF then ;) When both of them are in the same shape EBH is a much better climber, particularly if it's steep. Logically, given that EBH has higher VO2 max, higher watt output and is significantly lighter.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
I guess you didn't watch Dauphine, Oman or any other stage than nr 13 in TDF then ;) When both of them are in the same shape EBH is a much better climber, particularly if it's steep. Logically, given that EBH has higher VO2 max, higher watt output and is significantly lighter.

I'd say the Tour is a bit more important than small races like the Dauphiné and Oman. You do know he kept his yellow jersey on stages like Mur de Bretagne and Super-Besse right? Where was EBH?

El Pistolero said:
I'd say the Tour is a bit more important than small races like the Dauphiné and Oman. You do know he kept his yellow jersey on stages like Mur de Bretagne and Super-Besse right? Where was EBH?
On Mur de Bretagne he was chasing in the group behind with Wiggins on his wheel. On Super-Besse he was 6 seconds behind Hushovd's group, giving up when he realized he could not go for the victory (he was already far back on GC by then because of Wiggins' crash). And let's not forget that EBH had shingles during the TDF.