• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phillip Deignan appreciation

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Hey folks just want to send out some love & respect to Philip Deignan for his beautiful victory in the Vuelta yesterday to Avila. As a fellow Irishman i was absolutely delighted for him & for Irish cycling. Its been 17 years since Stephen Roche won the stage to La Bourboule in the TDF so its been a long time coming, & a long wait also. Hope this is the first of many for the guy & that his confidence soars. Dont get me wrong as i aint no fanboy wannabe but yesterday I was just moved watching the guy win. I thought Kreuziger was gonna kill him at the finish but how wrong I was. I know we have a few Irish people who also post here so sing loud this morning & sing proud.
It was reported last night on the news but only in picture format with a few comments over it, anyway twas better than nothing.
Being Irish i celebrated in the only way i know how. I went out & got a few Beers & sat listening to music with a grin from ear to ear on me. One of the best nights in ive had in a while.
Anyway if your reading Philip well done lad & all the best for the World Championships.

Chapeau Philip.

+1

Was very proud & happy yesterday, I too thought Kreuziger might give him a lesson in the finale, when Deignan done a lot of work into the last km, I was really worried but when he came round him in the sprint I was delirious.

I dont know Deignan personally but have spoken to him a few times and he seems like a really down to earth good guy. I was at the Vuelta last weekend and before the stage start in Granada, we had a little chat before being interrupted by some Spanish *** looking for a VIP pass or something, Philip had a bad day to Sierra Nevada and was a bit knackered but recovered well on the stage to La Pandera and has been going well since.

Well done Philip, great day for Donegal and Irish cycling.

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
+ another1

Hadn't really seen it coming to be honest but it was a very assured display. Have watched the replay a few times and he did a great job. Here's to many more

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Thumbs up for Deignan! I honestly don't know much about him, but this Vuelta seems to mark a bit of a breakthrough for him. A stage and top 10 on the GC is not to be sniffed at.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Philip Deignan has always been rated, Was a very good Am but has been plagued by injury and illness. Glandular fever knocked him back for over a year and then he did his knee when coming back. He does not get as much notice as Nicholas and Dan but thats the S Roche effect.
Yesterday was a great day though I thought he would get done in the sprint.
N R had got cycling back on the Sport pages during Tde F so it was great for the Media to get a reminder and see the coverage yesterday got.

Our 3 man team for the worlds are not half bad:D

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Esroh the Hoss said:
Philip Deignan has always been rated, Was a very good Am but has been plagued by injury and illness. Glandular fever knocked him back for over a year and then he did his knee when coming back. He does not get as much notice as Nicholas and Dan but thats the S Roche effect.
Yesterday was a great day though I thought he would get done in the sprint.
N R had got cycling back on the Sport pages during Tde F so it was great for the Media to get a reminder and see the coverage yesterday got.

Our 3 man team for the worlds are not half bad:D

+ 1 - IMO Philip has always been as good as Nicholas but as posted he has been unlucky with injury and illness.

I am not overtly surprised at his showing in the Vuelta - although I happily admit I did not expect him to be in contention for a stage as he was 18th in GC...... and then to get in the winning move and beat Kreuziger it was an amazing feat.

I texted some friends to see if there was a reaction in Ireland - and I checked TodayFM on the net - so it was nice to hear that he gets the recognition that he deserves.

For all you guys - you may have already seen this but here is a link to some videos of the Giro from inside Cervelo TT.

Chapeau Philip.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
+1 Phil Deignan has had a great season, and this is the crown for it. It does seem famine or feast for Irish fans, though. We'd Kelly, Roche and Earley for a 14 year span, then nothing for 17. Now we've Roche, Martin and Deignan. Martin has had an unlucky season but should be up to form next year, and Roche was desperately unlucky at last year's Vuelta - he might even have been in a position to win a stage in the Tour this year had Noce not gone down with Yellow Fever;).

Deignan has had his misfortunate for a couple of seasons, but the move to CTT has really suited him, and it does seem to me as though he is really on the verge of becoming a regular challenger for trophies - maybe Paris Nice, the Tierreno Adriatico or the Volta a Catalonia would suit him best.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I read in a newspaper yesterday that Kreuziger offered him money if Deignan would let him take the stage win but he refused point blank. Apparently he turned to Deignan near the end & said "how much?". Im aware this sort of thing goes on now & again but it sickens my hole all the same. I could just imagine inside Deignans head hearing this & saying to himself "Would ya ever GTF you Czech ***".
Anyway keep singing Ireland!!!!!!!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Kerbdog said:
I read in a newspaper yesterday that Kreuziger offered him money if Deignan would let him take the stage win but he refused point blank. Apparently he turned to Deignan near the end & said "how much?". Im aware this sort of thing goes on now & again but it sickens my hole all the same. I could just imagine inside Deignans head hearing this & saying to himself "Would ya ever GTF you Czech ***".
Anyway keep singing Ireland!!!!!!!

Yes - I had spotted that on Philips website.

I remember how Simoni got in trouble for saying that Basso had offered him the stage to Aprica in the 2006 Giro for a hefty sum.

Philip probably had a glass or two of champagne when discussing this and I am sure he would agree that the nice Mr Kreuziger was saying "How much...?" as in how much further to the finish ;)

* From Cyclingnews May 2006:
Simoni will face a disciplinary committee of the Italian cycling federation next Monday, and may find himself in serious trouble if he can't substantiate the accusation. The burden of proof in such a case lies with the accuser and Simoni may find himself sanctioned by the federation if he cannot convince the tribunal of his claim.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Great win for Diegnan, cool out that he beat the "Cheque";) after doing most of the work in last 2km. Glad to report that i saw a Irish junior winning a stage race in Charleville this weekend the same way Deignan won the Dunboyne 3 day a few years ago(on the front) so hopefully we wont have to wait another eternity to see world class Irish cyclists make it to the top level(we have had world class cyclists over the last 15+ years, but they just didnt get the right breaks).:D

Another Irish fan of Deignan here. Terrific stuff to win a stage and finish 9th in GC. Loved the way some here/in the media talked about Kreuziger being the better sprinter.

AFAIK Deignan is now 1 from in 2 man sprints! :D

Oh and the 18 year old Sam Bennett looks like he could be the next star...

Mar 10, 2009
www.flickr.com
Gutted I missed it.
I' was watching the Vuelta every day, but last Thursday hired a scaffold tower to paint front of house and it blocked satellite signal, unbelievable timing.:(

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Irish2009 said:
Great win for Diegnan, cool out that he beat the "Cheque";) after doing most of the work in last 2km. Glad to report that i saw a Irish junior winning a stage race in Charleville this weekend the same way Deignan won the Dunboyne 3 day a few years ago(on the front) so hopefully we wont have to wait another eternity to see world class Irish cyclists make it to the top level(we have had world class cyclists over the last 15+ years, but they just didnt get the right breaks).:D
Said junior has had a good 1/2 season as he was doing his Leaving Cert. Came very close to winning the Junior Tour of Ire and the roll of honour from it includes Mark Cav and B Wiggins.
Sam Bennet is def one to watch.

And look at what David McCann did yesterday breaking Chris Boardmans 25mle British TT record. He is one of the Guys who never got the breaks.ie not getting to ride at the Olympics

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
+1 member for Deignan appreciation club. It was a great win.

I was wondering what the two were talking about toward the end of the stage, now I know. Glad he turned down that "cheque" to take stage win.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Esroh the Hoss said:
Said junior has had a good 1/2 season as he was doing his Leaving Cert. Came very close to winning the Junior Tour of Ire and the roll of honour from it includes Mark Cav and B Wiggins.
Sam Bennet is def one to watch.

And look at what David McCann did yesterday breaking Chris Boardmans 25mle British TT record. He is one of the Guys who never got the breaks.ie not getting to ride at the Olympics

Don't forget that Deignan won a stage in Junior Tour too - in a 2 up sprint!

Agree on Prendergast and Bennet being riders of the future.