• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phinney going Stagiare

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if he'll bother with the 2012 olympics.

Thought he did pretty solid at worlds in the Omnium considering he hadn't had much work in it. 3rd place wasn't bad. But I can't see RS being too supportive of him still focusing on the track next season... doesn't seem to fit their profile.

A

Anonymous

what sort of numpty, unless they are very badly advised, when being one of the biggest american prospects, decides to spend a couple of months being a staigaire for a team in the middle of one of the biggest doping allegations in the history of the sport.

WHat idiot told him that was a good idea, in return for possibly a couple of races (what the hell is he going to ride this season that makes it worth it?), I assume the two canadian pro tour races.. what the hell else.. For the sake of patience I think thats a bad move.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
what sort of numpty, unless they are very badly advised, when being one of the biggest american prospects, decides to spend a couple of months being a staigaire for a team in the middle of one of the biggest doping allegations in the history of the sport.

WHat idiot told him that was a good idea, in return for possibly a couple of races (what the hell is he going to ride this season that makes it worth it?), I assume the two canadian pro tour races.. what the hell else.. For the sake of patience I think thats a bad move.

Well considering what the 'Armstrong/Trek livestrong franchise' has done for Phinney, is he really entitled to turn them down?

A

Anonymous

online-rider said:
Well considering what the 'Armstrong/Trek livestrong franchise' has done for Phinney, is he really entitled to turn them down?

What have they done for phinney that another development team wouldnt have done.

Considerning the current publicity about lance etc, I think taylor would have been well served to just stick with what he was doing till the end of the season.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Intereting to see how TP develope in RS.
He was not good enough in Thüringen Rundfahrt recently.
Will he take part in Tour de l'Avenir? I think he will take part in Worlds U23.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
joy118118 said:
Will he take part in Tour de l'Avenir? I think he will take part in Worlds U23.

I don't think you can take part in these races if you have a pro contract, can you? Peter Sagan for example couldn't take part in U23 Worlds, he'll have to go with the older guys.

At least in my opinion? Could be wrong though.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
I don't think you can take part in these races if you have a pro contract, can you? Peter Sagan for example couldn't take part in U23 Worlds, he'll have to go with the older guys.

At least in my opinion? Could be wrong though.

You dont know what is a stagiare, do you? a stagiare is not equal to a pro. And a stagiare doesnt mean he can become a pro for sure. They still can take part in these U23 races. A stagiare cant take part in Protour races.

IIRC AC still took part in U23 Worlds when he was a stagiare in Once. Tony Martin once was a stagiare and came back to the U23 team. A stagiare is still a U23 rider.

TeamSkyFans said:

+1. Complete eejit. And when the Shack does come tumbling down, he'll forever have this association. Good work Phinney, you jacka5s.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
joy118118 said:
You dont know what is a stagiare, do you? a stagiare is not equal to a pro. And a stagiare doesnt mean he can become a pro for sure. They still can take part in these U23 races. A stagiare cant take part in Protour races.

I do know what a stagiaire is (that would be the correct spelling by the way), thank you very much. I admit however that I did not know a stagiaire cannot take part in Pro Tour races, thank you for that.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
+1. Complete eejit. And when the Shack does come tumbling down, he'll forever have this association. Good work Phinney, you jacka5s.

What is with you people? Why is Phinney a jackass? You sound like one...He is a young rider who is riding for Trek-U23 team, just like a bunch of other good young men. Are they all jackasses? I think not...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

Patience? Bad move? How so?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'd be curious as well about who can take part to the U-23 Worlds. For sure some pros can (continental? professional?), maybe not Protour riders.

Every year they point out on TV that non-pro riders, even gifted ones, are at a disadvantage with U-23 pros, as these are more used to the race distance.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Leopejo said:
I'd be curious as well about who can take part to the U-23 Worlds. For sure some pros can (continental? professional?), maybe not Protour riders.

Every year they point out on TV that non-pro riders, even gifted ones, are at a disadvantage with U-23 pros, as these are more used to the race distance.

UCI rules say that a rider in PCT and PT team cant take part in U23 worlds.

Well Stagiaires are only able to ride for a Pro team at the end of the season after all the main U23 races. They are limited to the races they may ride (not ProTour) If they don't sign a pro contract they can continue as an Under 23 in the next season.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
What is with you people? Why is Phinney a jackass? You sound like one...He is a young rider who is riding for Trek-U23 team, just like a bunch of other good young men. Are they all jackasses? I think not...

If I recall correctly, this forum's distaste towards Phinney dates back to his certain Twitter comments regarding the outcome of LBL.

He's a great talent, he just needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and not hide behind the security blanket Twitter has become.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:

That association was there as soon as he joined Trek-LIVESTRONG. Heck, the association with dopers was there when he was on Garmin's u23 team... half the riders named by Landis are on Garmin's team.

I'm not sure if any cyclist connected to a US based cycling team is distanced much from the Landis allegations... they were pretty far reaching. He's going to have to deal with them regardless.

A

Anonymous

nvpacchi said:
If I recall correctly, this forum's distaste towards Phinney dates back to his certain Twitter comments regarding the outcome of LBL.

He's a great talent, he just needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and not hide behind the security blanket Twitter has become.

nothing to do with distaste for phinney. On this one I am purely saying he has made a bad move.

TRDean said:
Patience? Bad move? How so?

As explained by RR. If or when the radioshack come crashing down, Lance is arrested, Bruyneel is charged with crimes against humanity, Phinney is forever going to have this on his cv.

Radioshack are involved in one of the biggest bust ups since festina. What sort of madman would sign into that right now, and put their reputation on the line. Use some common sense, stick in livestrong for now, and see what happens over the next six months.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
nothing to do with distaste for phinney. On this one I am purely saying he has made a bad move.

As explained by RR. If or when the radioshack come crashing down, Lance is arrested, Bruyneel is charged with crimes against humanity, Phinney is forever going to have this on his cv.

Radioshack are involved in one of the biggest bust ups since festina. What sort of madman would sign into that right now, and put their reputation on the line. Use some common sense, stick in livestrong for now, and see what happens over the next six months.

I disagree...if he isn't busted himself...he has nothing to worry about. That is unless internet forum members keep dredging it up. By the way, nothing wrong with a young talented rider wanting to ride with the big boys...as I see it has been done by quite a few this year.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I like the Shack. I think Armstrong and A. Merckx are good mentors for Taylor.As far as doping issues go, unfortunatly they are a part of cycling. Phinney must mature and hopefully make the right decisions. What a talented rider! Best of luck to him!

TRENDING THREADS