• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phinney to ride the tour?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is it a good idea for Taylor Phinney to start the 2011 tdf?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Hitch said:
Above Evans for the Tour there is only Andrew, il terrible, his hollyness and gonzalez.

After that is Evans, though if everything goes well for him he could be up there. I really hope so. The only other guy from those 5 i would like to win it is the Asturian.
The only guy who is clearly stronger than Evans in that list is Andrew. And Sammy Sanchez maybe, at least in a Tour with as much climbing as 2011.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Gesink is bad, but really, Evans is worse. Just look at the final TT in last year's Tour. Evans was, what, dead last?
Not really a fair measure of Evans's ability. He was riding with a fractured elbow this year and was already 40' down. Who cared about a further 10' the day before the end of the Tour?

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bmc-putting-no-pressure-on-phinney-in-rookie-year

glad to see that BMC is thinking long term about Phinney and is not going to push to hard for his rookie year.
this may have been obvious to other people but it just dawned on me. This is why Phinney didn't sign with Radio Shack as many predicted. He knew that he wouldn't have anything to show for his rookie year and it might be harder for him to find a new team when the RS deal ends so he jumps now while he's a hot ticket.

theyoungest said:
Absolutely not. Top-5 should be within reach, podium will be difficult, winning will be impossible. The Tour isn't the Giro.

don't forget,we are talking here about a guy that armstrong couldn't crack in the mountains.the tour isn't the giro?i guess ivan is a huge contender for tour de france too.we are gonna see it in july.