• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Photo Galleries Blow Rendering Good Photos Unusable

I think this title is pretty self-explanatory.

How hard is it to have a photo gallery that works when you click on the direction arrows?

Am I missing something and is this acceptable as it has not worked correctly for viewing for the last ten years or something like that ..

thanks in advance

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I too find it rare to get through an entire photo gallery without losing the next picture button. There are so many times I only see the first 10 of many.

picture this

Capture.png

I only get to see half a pic viewed through explorer

been like this for awhile

Mark L

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
However they're doing it, they're doing it wrong.

Often, the thumbnail is a more complete picture than the enlarged image. That makes no sense. The "full size" pictures are getting cropped so that they are hardly worth viewing.

And then there's the more recent addition of annoying white text across the photos themselves. Here's a hint: White text over white background is unreadable.

It's 2014 FFS. No one notices that?

Daniel Benson

Administrator
Mar 2, 2009
www.cyclingnews.com
A number of problems with the galleries in terms of bugs, where you see only half the pic display, to the image captions not appearing, to general concerns over usability. We're trying to fix a few of the issues at the moment but it's proving to be harder than it should be. We'll get there though.

Daniel Benson said:
A number of problems with the galleries in terms of bugs, where you see only half the pic display, to the image captions not appearing, to general concerns over usability. We're trying to fix a few of the issues at the moment but it's proving to be harder than it should be. We'll get there though.

Daniel I really do appreciate you taking the time to address my concerns. Thanks.
The pics are good but it gets frustrating...

Daniel Benson

Administrator
Mar 2, 2009
www.cyclingnews.com
No worries. We're frustrated (editorial) because it takes time to upload images and we want them to be displayed as best as possible for you guys, the readers. We've had a number of tech glitches on the site over the last week or so especially - a lot of 404s - but we're chugging through them.

Cheers

Dan

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
This particular gallery seems equally wrought with issues:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tec...or-criterium-du-dauphines-mountainous-stage-2

Sometimes clicking on a pic brings one back to the main article, other times to a different "version" of the same pic.

Still some issues with the white text over photos. Many times it is simply unreadable and nothing but a distraction to the viewing.

Also, is there any reason in the world that the "forward" arrow is on the left, and the "back" arrow is on the right? That must be a first for the internet.
Makes. No. Sense.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
An example from that gallery:

That's not what I get at all. I get two direction arrows, in the upper left region of the pic, that are aligned backwards. I would try to post a screen shot but I've lost my patience with battling the format issues on this forum right now.

I'm sure by 2020 Froome will have his record number of TdF wins, and everything will work just fine on the forum.

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
When are you going to fix the half photo issue in your galleries. Its been going on for probably a year now. I no longer bother to check the photos because 90% will not show completely!

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's the Tour..de France. The Big One. And the pics are still worthless here.

If CN isn't embarrassed by this, that's OK. I'm embarrassed enough for them.

Would you like to see how it's done?

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/tour-de-france-stage-5-in-photos/

You're welcome. :)

Why not just scrap the current format, and use and outside photo-hosting site?

Or just stop posting pics, because I, like many others here, can't even be bothered to look anymore.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The photo galleries seem to be getting worse.

First, the long-standing problem of poor rendering has been going on for more than a year.

Second, recently i have noticed that when you try to click to the next photo you end up back at the article instead of seeing the next photo. This is quite a pain.

I hope those in charge realize you are losing readers with the shoddy administration on this website.

I used to look at cyclingnews several times a day. Now, I view cyclingnews two or three times a week.

If you don't care enough to take care of your infrastructure, why should readers care enough to read your content and purchase from your advertisers?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I decided to give it another shot. I really did.

But wow, the gallery feature at CN is still easily the worst photo rendering I've found anywhere. No point in naming the specifics, it's all been covered above.

Kudos to the powers-that-be! Your readers are laughing at you.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dear CN,

Why do you go through all of the trouble to post photo galleries? You may as well stop wasting the bandwidth. When a gallery is clicked on the pictures either do not render properly or it kicks back to the article.

Again, why compound the frustration of your readers by posting photos that are difficult to view? Save yourself the bandwidth and the readers some frustration and just stick to articles without pictures.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Still rockin' it at at CN I see! :rolleyes:

I admit, I was tempted by the Kilimanjaro gallery. Jokes on me though.

Seriously, this has got to be the only site left on the internet incapable of posting a reasonable and functioning photo gallery.

The mind boggles. :confused:

bonnyc

Administrator
Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
The galleries are on our list of things to fix with the site update, which is coming very soon. The updated galleries *should* be a lot better to use, and the general display of images throughout the site will be clearer.

We know it has been frustrating - hopefully the new ones will make it much easier for you to use. Once we've launched the new site, I'll be asking for feedback from readers, so I will be keen to hear what you think of the galleries.

I'm sorry there is still a little wait to get the galleries working, but its on its way!

- Bonny

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
photo galleries still don't work.

at least they work on velonews, where i now spend 90% of my cycling news reading time and 100% of my ad attention.

Re:

gregod said:

at least they work on velonews, where i now spend 90% of my cycling news reading time and 100% of my ad attention.
Most people are being forced to bail from this site. It was so great in the old days when it read like a newspaper and one could easily see all info on one page.

Re:

gregod said:

But you posted to this forum which has targeted ads all over it, so 100% is not really accurate. Or did you mean that you click on 100% of the ads on Velonews, which would make you quite unique given that ads are an irritant more than anything... :rolleyes:

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks. We've got a new photo gallery in the works which should be far more user friendly. We've also fixed a few issues with the current one recently to prevent page crashes for larger galleries on mobile devices, just to try and help in the mean time.

TRENDING THREADS