• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Photo Request...

Curious if anyone can point me to a photo of a pro rider, from almost any year, wearing #51. I'm mostly looking for something fairly old, pre-1990, though I was a Jalabert fan and know he wore than number in the 2000 and 2002 Tours, so that would be cool too.

Much appreciated to all. :)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
perico31.jpg

Number is on the frame.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Curious if anyone can point me to a photo of a pro rider, from almost any year, wearing #51. I'm mostly looking for something fairly old, pre-1990, though I was a Jalabert fan and know he wore than number in the 2000 and 2002 Tours, so that would be cool too.

Much appreciated to all. :)

I don't know when the quote below was written, anyway, it will allow you to narrow down your google image search

The dossard (shirt number) #51 is considered lucky by some superstitious cyclists because the Tour de France has been won four times by cyclist with this number: Eddy Merckx (1969), Luis Ocana (1973), Bernard Thevenet (1975) and Bernard Hinault (1978)

merckx
http://gerrypatt.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/merckx_1969.jpg

Love the photo of Eddy. Looking more for the number pinned on the rider's jersey, even if you can't see his face, than on the bike.

Of course Le Tour isn't the only race where riders wear numbers. Just about any pro from any older era in #51 would be cool to me.

Love this one of Hinault, jersey or not. Sometimes forget what a badass he was.

Bernard_hinault_1978.jpg

TRENDING THREADS