• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pierre Rolland

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if there already exists a thread about him but he did a great race today. White jersey AND stage win in Alp d'Huez in a one-on one-on one ;-) battle against AC and Sanchez- fabolous.

I'm well aware, there are several white jersey winners who never lived up to the expectations in the Tour (e.g. Karpets, Popovich, Sevilla). But is there any chance that Rolland will be a Tour-contender one day? How is Rollands ITT? I do not much about this guy, and I'd like to hear your opinion on this (and no, I do not want to start a PR-hype).

french ugrumov finalllyyyyyyy!!!!

i've told since day one this guy would have won the tour easily if it was him no voeckler in the breakaway.it seems not breathing at all helps a lot.
voeckler bonking,killed by his self-confidence,if he would have stayed with cadel,he would have been still in yellow tonight.
but rolland is indeed just like armstrong said,a rock star.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
No they wouldnt. What joint interest did they have. They both wanted to win the stage and didnt want to lose it. Why would they work together.

Have you not been watching this tour? they are both Spaniards. they have been helping each other the entire tour.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
saganftw said:
i wouldnt call it battle against sanchez and AC,he was towed up and attacked...
not the ideal way of wining such mythical climb
Don't forget he attacked 8 km before the climb. He then dropped Hesjedal a few km in, was passed by a flying Contador but held his own rhythm until Samu appeared, Samu couldn't drop him and brought him upto Contador, then he dropped the Pistolero with three accelerations. Classy win.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
exactly also showed how big heart Sami is !!!! he is the first one to congratulate Pierre and it seems very sincere. I guess Contador will not be happy with Sami dragging Piere all the way oh well this is the professional sports
saganftw said:

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Rolland got held up in both the stage 1 and stage 7 crash. Without those he would be currently in 7th spot 1 second behind Contador in the overall ranking.

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
niidirull said:
Rolland got held up in both the stage 1 and stage 7 crash. Without those he would be currently in 7th spot 1 second behind Contador in the overall ranking.

Without those Contador would be more up as well, and that's racing!!! Most of the pack has been caught up, including Taaramäe

saganftw said:

Can't really agree. He rode that climb to the best of his ability. Attacked before the climb, never trailed Contador by more than 25 seconds or about and Sanchez only caught him on the second half of the climb. Had he helped Sanchez, he would have been second, just like Vanendert was at Luz Ardiden.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Grayguard said:
Have you seen the same race, the rest of us have? They've worked together, when they had a common interest to do so, no more, no less.

What you forget is Rolland lauched the 1st attacks at the bottom of Alpe d huez (after the evans group caught up) and was then caught by Contador after he attacked and then by Sanchez after he attacked. 2nd Rolland did what any young rider would do, Sanchez and Contador are the big cycling stars, why should he work? He is not expected to win. Hardly call that doing nothing.
Had he worked with Sanchez and brought him and AC together and then lost the stage everyone would be clowining him for making a rookie mistake.

TRENDING THREADS