• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pierre Rolland

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
damian13ster said:
They PASSED the motorcycle. There is no way they didnt see it. I am sure that if you are going at high speeds, downhill you can tell whether the object next to you is stationary or moving?

In a situation as they were in, your perception is significantly selective. You simply notice only what is vital for you at that very moment and disregard whatever your instincts (because that is what basically governs your actions at that point) consider unimportant.

I can very well imagine the moto was just a sort of moving obstacle to which they did not attach any special meaning and had no reason to devote any mind capacity on registering it. Especially if the message that motos might have actually been important on that descent did not reach them.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
damian13ster said:
If the driver of a motorcycle is not lying they were signalling for him to speed up multiple times. I am pretty sure one of those times flag was up since it was safe for riders to take their hand off the wheel, it was the same for motorcycle which has better stability on the road. And then after he didnt they passed. Unless you claim that he is lying (what possible motivation would he have to do that, especially compared to riders who gained unfair advantage thanks to that and are trying to save their face) the facts are pretty obvious here.

Sure they told him to speed up, but maybe they thought he was there to signal the dangerous turns at the beginning and once on a faster (and safe ! wet but safe !) part of the descent they were thinking "move away you moron, we are not in a dangerous part anymore, let us race we have made a gap" rather than "he he we are gonna overtake that dude, and pretend we didn't see no flag and get a big gap on those retards who stayed behind, such a clever plan !!"

cineteq said:
It doesn't matter if he saw it or not. RCS (mis)communicated the descent was NOT neutralized.

Haha wow--this sentence describes, literally and formally, the mess of that stage: a paranthetically addressed lacuna and a double (triple, even?) negative that may or may not just confirm a state of normalcy.

That's poetry, cine! :D This should be on CN's front page.

mr. tibbs said:
Haha wow--this sentence describes, literally and formally, the mess of that stage: a paranthetically addressed lacuna and a double (triple, even?) negative that may or may not just confirm a state of normalcy.

That's poetry, cine! :D This should be on CN's front page.
Thanks bro, finally someone notices some of my 'hidden' talents :D

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
kingjr said:
But what did Velo reply when Quintana told him to go faster (if that's what happened)?

We have nothing to prove Quintana and Rolland/Hesjedal knew in any way that Velo was there to "prevent attacks", maybe they genuinely thought he was there to point at the dangerous bits.. maybe what they heard from their DS was "guys, there's going to be motorbikes in front of view to show you the dangerous bits" and that's it, and then when they want to do the descent and have this moron in front not moving out of the way, they just overtake him...

Thats why they were many people and other riders saying its not the fault of cyclists but RCS and Movistar's Europacar DS. That was before riders started lying through their teeth though about not seeing motorcycles, flags, and all of them following a rider in front of them (unless they meant Cataldo).

Quintana claims he followed Rolland
Rolland claims he followed Quintana
Hesjedal claims he followed those two.

If that was the case and everybody tried to get at the backwheel they would eventually ride backwards..........

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
I raised the red flag, but Quintana told me several times to speed up, then he overtook us and went away.

Okay, sounds like they would have seen it then. But it does seem strange to me that the moto driver wouldn't try to make it more clear to them what was happening if he was indeed meant to neutralize the racing.

There's also a good chance they may have thought it was to show that the descent might be dangerous as well IMO and that it wasn't to neutralize the race.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
He might be my favorite over all now. Thread should be retitled:

Official Pierre Rolland is the Next Kloden Thread.

Hehe - yeah. I really like the way he has gone on the attack in this Giro - and in races in the past. I think Tommy's style has rubbed off a little - and it makes for some good racing!

From yesterday, but it will work well now:
165454_PIC465510538.jpg

Impressive performance, of course Rolland can climb but he clearly stepped up the mental game for the MTT today.

I hope we will see a long distance attack on Sella Razzo tomorrow.