• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pink Steel Frame, Classic Geometry?

I'm helping a friend put together a bike. She wants a pink frame. She's kind of a scenester, so I think it would have to be lugged steel with a classic geometry.

I'm going 2008 Veloce w/ alloy brake levers for the group, but I can't find a d*mned frame below $1000 US! The Soma Stanyan (see pic) would be perfect--if only it were pink.

tl;dr: Looking for the below frame in pink.

stanyan_greywall455.jpg

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
I'm helping a friend put together a bike. She wants a pink frame. She's kind of a scenester, so I think it would have to be lugged steel with a classic geometry.

I'm going 2008 Veloce w/ alloy brake levers for the group, but I can't find a d*mned frame below $1000 US! The Soma Stanyan (see pic) would be perfect--if only it were pink.

stanyan_greywall455.jpg

Well, I am bit out of the custom one off builds and I am sure the I will be corrected. If you find a frame for a good price that works for your friend and are willing to the stripping of the original paint a paint job may only cost you a couple hundred. I will say that is only a basic and very simple single coat.

Depending on the market you can get a nice old school lugged custom bike with simple Columbus SLX tubing for maybe just a 50% premium over your $1000 with the paint job your are looking for.

Bustednuckle ???

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am currently doing a single speed conversion. Free frame (Merida aluminium racing bike from the 80s sitting in the shed for years). $220 to weld the holes closed in the down tube where I removed the shifters, sand blast and powder coat the frame (red) and forks (white). A single colour would have been $50 less. No welding would have been $75 less. So if you find a half-decent frame, regardless of steel v aluminium and colour, you should be able to get it sand blasted and powder coated in pink for less than $200.

L29205 said:
Well, I am bit out of the custom one off builds and I am sure the I will be corrected. If you find a frame for a good price that works for your friend and are willing to the stripping of the original paint a paint job may only cost you a couple hundred. I will say that is only a basic and very simple single coat.

Depending on the market you can get a nice old school lugged custom bike with simple Columbus SLX tubing for maybe just a 50% premium over your $1000 with the paint job your are looking for.

Bustednuckle ???

Sure, look at ebay. Lots of lugged steel frames for far less than $1000...find a local powdercoater and bob's yer uncle. Just depends on the geometry. Look at second and third tier frames like Olmo, Scapin, Daccordi, Gios, otyhwrs that aren't the Colnago/DeRosa/Merckx/Pinarello brands.

mr. tibbs said:

stanyan_greywall455.jpg

Email me about Vitus . I can still get 'em, depends on the size. And available in Pink.

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
i hope you're dating this girl because what you're doing seems really nice.

have you tried craigslist? i constantly see old bianchis, peugeots, nishiki's on there for $400 and less.

custom painting should set you back $200.

does it have to be lugged?

You guys have offered a lot of great suggestions--thanks!

To answer some popular questions/comments: I've checked Craigslist and Ebay, but didn't find what I was looking for, with the color being the prime barrier. This was before you gave me the idea to just get it painted, and, as long as I get a decent deal on the frame, the extra $$ shouldn't be a problem (she's paying for it all, I'm not THAT nice of a guy).

@Via: It's kinda complicated... best to just say we're friends. (And the style restrictions [lugged with a classic geometry] are mine b/c I know she'll like it more that way. That's also why I'm using the 08 Veloce levers--they've still got the more subtle hoods.)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Speaking as a former womens team Mech I dont think it will make any difference as long as its PINK.

You dont know about mechanical problems the girls have with equipment.
nightmare.!!!!!!

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
@Via: It's kinda complicated... best to just say we're friends. (And the style restrictions [lugged with a classic geometry] are mine b/c I know she'll like it more that way. That's also why I'm using the 08 Veloce levers--they've still got the more subtle hoods.)

hahaha hope this bike tips the scales in your favor!

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but She has again become interested in this. She's been pestering me for a bit now and I've given in :rolleyes:.

Anywho, what are the forum's thoughts on totalcycling.com? I've often admired their prices from afar, but have never purchased from them for a couple of reasons.

1-I'm a strong proponent of supporting my LBS (when it's my money, am not going to ask Her to do it unless She doesn't mind shelling out the extra $$), and

2-Those prices must be too good to be true.

Is totalcycling legit? Has anyone had any experiences with them? Do tell! They've got a Veloce groupset & those sick Guerciotti frames (thanks, steelciocc), and I'm considering sending Her the links and being done with it.

Thanks in advance (and again!).

EDIT: I wrote down the Joe Bell info, will keep him on the list, but there are some places around here that do it, too.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but She has again become interested in this. She's been pestering me for a bit now and I've given in :rolleyes:.

Anywho, what are the forum's thoughts on totalcycling.com? I've often admired their prices from afar, but have never purchased from them for a couple of reasons.

1-I'm a strong proponent of supporting my LBS (when it's my money, am not going to ask Her to do it unless She doesn't mind shelling out the extra $$), and

Is totalcycling legit? Has anyone had any experiences with them? Do tell! They've got a Veloce groupset & those sick Guerciotti frames (thanks, steelciocc), and I'm considering sending Her the links and being done with it.
Totalcycling.com is totally legit. I've bought tons of stuff from them, as have many of my friends. The Campy prices are so good because unlike American bike retailers, they can buy directly from Campy, without a middle man. You get Campy from them for the same price American bike stores pay.

As for supporting the LBS: I think a good rule is if you can and are going to do all the work yourself and don't need anyone's help/advice, then shop the intrawebs and find the cheapest stuff. If you need help/advice, then go to the LBS, and pay them for the parts and service. Pretty simple.

mr. tibbs said:

When totalcycking used to deal Assos I bought a metric buttload of stuff from them. With a good exchange rate, the prices were almost half of what I would have paid in the U.S. The exchange rate right now is great.

Shipping was quick enough that it seemed like it was faster than many domestic online retailers.

I never had a problem with them. From research I found that totalcycling is a small operation, and if you order at a time they are busy or on vacation or something then service can be slow. It never happened to me, but I have read complaints about that.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
I am currently doing a single speed conversion. Free frame (Merida aluminium racing bike from the 80s sitting in the shed for years). $220 to weld the holes closed in the down tube where I removed the shifters, sand blast and powder coat the frame (red) and forks (white). A single colour would have been $50 less. No welding would have been $75 less. So if you find a half-decent frame, regardless of steel v aluminium and colour, you should be able to get it sand blasted and powder coated in pink for less than $200.

Sounds very cool indeed - would you post a picture when it's done?

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
My wife would love the Merckx, but she has a new bike.
Total Cycling is legit, I have 2 sets of Centaur from them plus hubs and other bit and bob. They can be slow to ship and don't respond to e-mail quickly, so I was rather worried on my first order, but in the end they have always come through.

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
4346681646_1947b9fc49.jpg

4346681488_6220ab2457.jpg

These pictures are the most recent I have... and the way the bike looked when I first posted in the thread. Since then I stripped it and rebuilt it with a bunch of Nuovo Record I had...

alastair said:
These pictures are the most recent I have... and the way the bike looked when I first posted in the thread. Since then I stripped it and rebuilt it with a bunch of Nuovo Record I had...

how compatible would this era of frameset be with new Campy? I'm assuming it would work with the ultra-torque cranks and new hubs, but I'd hate to find out the hard way.

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
It would fit fine; I had it built with 8 speed and had no spacing issues. My other road bike (and the reason I'm not keeping the Merckx) is a 1984 Raleigh (in the Raleigh-Panasonic team colors). I had it built with a full 10 speed Chorus drivetrain and Shamals. The stuff all worked great but I couldn't get around the look of the modern stuff on an old lugged frame (that's just me)

TRENDING THREADS