• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

podcast of the year. lemond is class and real.

People that bash Greg never bother spending the time actually sitting down and listening to the man speak like this. When you listen to entire conversations with him, such as this one, you realize he has a ring of truth and genuineness that can't be faked. He's also surprisingly knowledgeable about the sport; the physiology involved, including details about doping.

Greg does open his mouth a little much at times, and that's all that seems to be in a lot of sound bites. But you listen to him and he's as true as blue and someone the sport desperately needs at a time like this.

lemond.jpg

unsheath said:
Especially as he's the only Great American IMO.

Not true Unsheath. Andy Hampsten, Davis Phinney and most of the other Americans from that golden era were all heroes.

But I believe you meant since Greg retired, and while I could name a few people, the most prominent names do not have anywhere near the passion and class that Greg does for cycling, and have actually taken the sport backwards instead. :(

Out of everyone who speaks about it, world wide, Greg has the most relevant suggestions on how to proceed forward to improving the sport and saving it from doping. Armstrong's solution has been to deny, harass, bully, threaten, go on Larry King, dodge, sue, abandon, manipulate, and refuse to answer questions, directly while collecting Nike override checks. All while continuing to diminish the seriousness of doping and act like little needs to be done. And he's helped fool a LOT of people into thinking this is what Greg is about. :mad:

images

:mad:

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Not true Unsheath. Andy Hampsten, Davis Phinney and most of the other Americans from that golden era were all heroes.

Actually many on 7 eleven didn't like Andy Hampsten after his win at the Giro.....rumor has it that he kept all the prize money. I myself don't think he is on the of the American greats. I would definitely say Alexi Grewal, Jonathan Boyer are missing from you list.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:
Actually many on 7 eleven didn't like Andy Hampsten after his win at the Giro.....rumor has it that he kept all the prize money. I myself don't think he is on the of the American greats. I would definitely say Alexi Grewal, Jonathan Boyer are missing from you list.

Seriously? Grewal was the biggest head-case in the sport. Boyer is a convicted sex offender, and his best result was a 12th place finish at the Tour. Anyone who changes his name to "Jacques" is suspect (and his nickname at the time was Jock-strap).

+ 1

Grewal never really cut the mustard in Europe, hard to believe Hampsten was not liked at 7-11 considering he stayed with the team until 94.

The only reason LeMond is disliked is becaused he dared to criticise LAs relationship with Dr.Ferrari which was only natural considering Ferraris reputation.

The Lance media machine then potrayed LeMond as a bitter crank which of course was believed 100% by Lance fanboys and unfortunately the label has stuck.

Absolutely ridiculous of course and for those who dont believe Lance has a negative impact on cycling, the fact he managed to turn one of the greats of the sport into an outcast says it all.

LeMond was the winner of the greatest Tour ever and that is always how I will remember him. That victory has remained in my memory long after all the Lance borefests have been forgotten.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
okay i feel like an idiot.....i did some follow up and found out that Andy did give his prize money to the team. Looks like i fell into the trap of believig a friend of mine.

As for Jonathan Boyer I had no clue.

Now i did find this to be an interesting read it further supports Greg and the introduction of ePO and how it affected the peloton.

http://velonews.com/article/6660

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
+ 1

LeMond was the winner of the greatest Tour ever and that is always how I will remember him. That victory has remained in my memory long after all the Lance borefests have been forgotten.

I agree 100% with this comment. that was the most exciting race in the last 20 years!!!

+2 to PMCG76's comment.

No problem Euphrades. That's a great link you found there, and says a great deal. Some of the reader responses (most of which are negative against Greg, and pro Lance) are alarming in showing now much, and at the same time how little, has changed in the five years since Andy wrote that. :(

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
The '89 Worlds is a great race to watch. Miss the days of battles like Fignon vs Lemond vs Kelley.

I met and rode with Lemond in '86 (Fall). Not saying I really know the guy, it was one of those "pay some money and ride a training camp with the pros" things. But, he was one of the nicest and approachable guys you'd ever meet (along with his teammate Steve Bauer).

As for Hampsten, if you go outside the Nike-centric universe, I think he's probably the most respected American rider after Lemond.

I have a lot of respect for Phinney. I grew up watching "cash register" win crits left and right, and had the privilege to watch some great battles between him and Bauer. And his struggles with Parkinson's and efforts at fundraising are phenomenal.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
+2 to PMCG76's comment.

No problem Euphrades. That's a great link you found there, and says a great deal. Some of the reader responses (most of which are negative against Greg, and pro Lance) are alarming in showing now much, and at the same time how little, has changed in the five years since Andy wrote that. :(

From what I read, most comments agreed with GL's move to rid the sport of doping, but did not agree with him implicating LA at the same time, with no PROVEN evidence. My opinion too.

GL must truly be an amazing athlete, since from what I can judge from these forums, he is the only Tour winner in history to do so without any kind of PED at all. Incredible athlete.

davidg said:
From what I read, most comments agreed with GL's move to rid the sport of doping, but did not agree with him implicating LA at the same time, with no PROVEN evidence. My opinion too.

Armstrong tested positive for EPO six times. He is a proven doper.

GL has been right about everything. Lemond's star has been on the rise for the last few years. As Hamilton, Landis, Armstrong, Heras, Beltran, etc. have all been proven to have doped, the fanboys who dogpiled on Lemond have lost numbers and the credibility of those that remain has continued to go downhill.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
A sample + B sample

BroDeal said:
Armstrong tested positive for EPO six times. He is a proven doper.
Not according to the rules of the sport. How about you come out from behind your screen name and repeat it. I am sure you will have your chance to confrim it in court.

GL must truly be an amazing athlete, since from what I can judge from these forums, he is the only Tour winner in history to do so without any kind of PED at all. Incredible athlete.

You need to read the forums more. But anyone who thinks that blood doping (including EPO) hasn't been a serious problem since about 1991 has their head in the sand.

davidg said:
Not according to the rules of the sport. How about you come out from behind your screen name and repeat it. I am sure you will have your chance to confrim it in court.

Awww. Got your panties in a wad because retro-tested urine showed that Armstrong used EPO during the 1999 TdF? Maybe if you stick your head in the sand like you are encouraging everyone else to do then the truth will just go away.

The rules of the sport? Uh-huh. That would be the rules that are supposedly enforced by an organization that took a $500,000 under the table payment from Armstrong? I would rather place my faith in the scientists who developed the test for EPO, and both of them say there is clear scientific evidence that Armstrong doped.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
You need to read the forums more. But anyone who thinks that blood doping (including EPO) hasn't been a serious problem since about 1991 has their head in the sand.

I never mentioned EPO, I said PED