• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Podium 2012 tour result if Alberto Contador and Andy Schleck competed?

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
There have been conversations of Wiggins not being the true champion of the "2012 Tour De Bore."

All of a sudden he's the best all around cyclist in the tour...he goes from WEAK climber to PURE climber in a year..

It seems to me that Wiggin's has made monumental progress, where in the span of one year he becomes the best time trialist and the best pure climber in the Tour De France. It's questionable and it's down right obvious to some people that this is quite an "unnatural" feat.

But I don't think so. His win was deserved and probably clean. The problem is the absence of the other two champions, Andy Schleck and Alberto Contador, is the only reason why Wiggins won.

Cadel Evans age caught up with him this year. He is on the downward spiral, as with one of the greatest cyclists in the world, Denis Menchov. The old era is gone.

I feel Contador or Schleck would have cracked Froome, the stabalizing force in Wiggin's armor. This would of exposed Wiggins and caused him to crack and lose minutes to Andy Schleck and Alberto Contador.

So what would the tour result have been if AC and AS raced. It's pretty obvious:

1. Andy Schleck
2. Alberto Contador
3. Bradley Wiggins

Ok ok...AS would lose in the time trial, so let's just say...

1. Alberto Contador
2. Andy Schleck
3. Bradley Wiggins

Or would this be a 2010 repeat....where Cadel beat AC? I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to imagine Wiggins able to climb back to AC...but not the AC in 2009 form...

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
if contador was in the race he would have won but he would have changed the dynamics of the race too much with his attacking style. so the rest of podium places could have gone to any of wiggins, schleck, froome and nibali.

Indeed, I would consider the podium would have been

Contador
Froome
Nibali

Yes, it's all a dream, BUT this could be the podium in Paris for 2013.. Froome will not be with SKY next year, won't play second fiddle to Wiggins again..

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Can we please stop asking stupid hypothetical questions like this? We get it, everyone on here hates Sky and worships Alberto Contador. We don't need a new thread on it every single day.

ericthesportsman6 said:
Can we please stop asking stupid hypothetical questions like this? We get it, everyone on here hates Sky and worships Alberto Contador. We don't need a new thread on it every single day.

chill_pill.preview.jpg

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:

I agree, this thread is a silly hypothetical which really is irrelevant and pointless.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Only can say with 100% certainty that Andy Schleck would not have won the Tour. There were just too many TT miles involved and not enough steep mountain climbs.

ericthesportsman6 said:
I don't mind hypothetical questions - eg, would Froome have beaten Nibali by more than six minutes if Wiggins rode for him - but this thread was done last December.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
So what would the tour result have been if AC and AS raced. It's pretty obvious:

1. Andy Schleck
2. Alberto Contador
3. Bradley Wiggins

Ok ok...AS would lose in the time trial, so let's just say...

1. Alberto Contador
2. Andy Schleck
3. Bradley Wiggins

The obvious would pretty be like that:
1. Wiggins
2. Froome
3. Contador

:p

ericthesportsman6 said:

Ill make sure to run all my future threads by you before i post them, just to.make sure that we can discuss the issue.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
1. Contador
2. Froome 0:52
3. Wiggins 1:25

Froome wouldnt have waited for Wiggins in the mountains if there was someone who could actually attack and hold it.

Andy wouldnt come close to podium with 7-8 mins lost in TTs, hed end up behind Nibali, prolly about the same time as VDB.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Wiggins
Froome
Contador

As I see people like to underrate Sky. Hilarious that the same guys accuse them of doping. But Contador would allegedly have beat them. Fabulous. One should optimize its logical line that it would look more plausible.

airstream said:
Wiggins
Froome
Contador

As I see people like to underrate Sky. Hilarious that the same guys accuse them of doping. But Contador would allegedly have beat them. Fabulous. One should optimize his logical line that it would look more plausible.

Well the main point (And I guess it is logical) for pro-Contador users is Contador humiliated Nibali in Giro 2011 but Wiggo-Froome barely dropped him in the mountains, which shows the difference between Sky and Contador

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
What a strange or bitter question!

Who cares?

Next year we will see a different race with a different finishing order.

Will the convicted doping cheat Contador be any good as a cyclist without artifical aid, who knows, i do know that to denigate the achievements of this years contenders merely because a convicted doping cheat was not present is strange.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Snafu352 said:

Who cares?

Will the convicted doping cheat Contador be any good as a cyclist without artifical aid, who knows, i do know that to denigate the achievements of this years contenders merely because a convicted doping cheat was not present is strange.

Clinic.......

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
We have no guage to determine what Contadors form would have been. We don't know what his 2012 program might have been if not for the ban. Would he have ridden the Giro? For all we know he might have suffered from a crash or illness.

I don't think Andy Schleck would have made the podium given the amount of TT kilometres but again we don't know what his form or motivation was like. Perhaps he would have suffered the same fate as his brother?

Both would certainly have animated the race but only Contador would have had a good chance of a podium spot. IMO Wiggins and Froome would still have been top three although maybe not in the same order.

Snafu352 said:

Who cares?

First post breaks the forum rules. Congrats.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
burning said:
Well the main point (And I guess it is logical) for pro-Contador users is Contador humiliated Nibali in Giro 2011 but Wiggo-Froome barely dropped him in the mountains, which shows the difference between Sky and Contador

What was AC's final placing in that Giro?