• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Point of grammar too or to

for anyone whose first language is english please use to or too correctly as it is starting to get to me how much it is being misused.
for anyone for whom english is a second language if something was too hard or too easy then it's too. if something is the same then use too ie i think so too. see http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/too

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hard to believe you created a thread to remind us when to add or omit an 'o'. Not sure how this relates to pro road racing, but if there was a forum for condescending knobs this thread would fit nicely.

EDIT: Speaking of condescending knobs, I'll point out that you should have written it's too at the end of your silly rant. The apostrophe denotes a contraction, its is for possession.

EDIT #2: Well I wish I hadn't used the term knob just because you don't like grammatical errors. Guess I'm having a bad day. Sorry... too harsh of me.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Hard to believe you created a thread to remind us when to add or omit an 'o'. Not sure how this relates to pro road racing, but if there was a forum for condescending knobs this thread would fit nicely.

AMEN I have already reported this as being pointless.

A

Anonymous

mc_mountain said:
if doesn't matter to anyone else then by all means delete the thread, but of the non-english speakers i know they would be glad of the advice.

If it doesn't matter to anyone else, then by all means delete the thread, but for(?) the non-English speakers I know they would be glad for the advice.

That was rude of me, but it was to try to convey what others are saying. Punctuation and capitalization are also important, but people come here for information, ideas, opinions and conversation. It's understood that we come from around the World, so it's best to just ignore the small stuff, especially if you, like most of the rest of us, are imperfect. Cheers.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
English is not my first language, not even my 2nd. But I really try to use correct grammar. To/to, their/they're/there, spelling mistakes, conjugations etc.
One of the reasons I post on this forum is to improve my written english...

Buffalo Soldier said:
English is not my first language, not even my 2nd. But I really try to use correct grammar. To/to, their/they're/there, spelling mistakes, conjugations etc.
One of the reasons I post on this forum is to improve my written english...

i think that's what i am saying, if the native english speakers can be as accurate as possible, that is to the benefit of non-native speakers.

pedaling squares said:

EDIT: Speaking of condescending knobs, I'll point out that you should have written it's too at the end of your silly rant. The apostrophe denotes a contraction, its is for possession.

EDIT #2: Well I wish I hadn't used the term knob just because you don't like grammatical errors. Guess I'm having a bad day. Sorry... too harsh of me.

i appreciate the retraction (of sorts, ie you haven't actually deleted the insult). the thread may have been ill-considered but i didn't want to draw attention to any one person's particular mistake by making this point in an ongoing thread, has i have seen and in far more condescending terms.

re edit one - yes you got me, knowing i was posting about grammar i checked my post several times to avoid comeback but still made a mistake myself.

Susan Westemeyer said:
Please remember that english is not the native language of many people who write here. As long as what is written is understandable, it is acceptable.

I am moving this to the cafe.

Susan

as stated above mainly directed at native english speakers.

theswordsman said:
If it doesn't matter to anyone else, then by all means delete the thread, but for(?) the non-English speakers I know they would be glad for the advice.

That was rude of me, but it was to try to convey what others are saying. Punctuation and capitalization are also important, but people come here for information, ideas, opinions and conversation. It's understood that we come from around the World, so it's best to just ignore the small stuff, especially if you, like most of the rest of us, are imperfect. Cheers.

it hadn't occurred to me, sorry let me start the sentence again. It hadn't occurred to me that capitalisation was an issue, I thought it merely denoted a degree of informality. I will try to keep this in mind in the future.

For the sake of clarity, I admire anyone writing in their second language, the standard on these boards is excellent (buffalo soldier's post being a case in point). I wish that native english speakers (I guess myself included) would give a better account of ourselves.

A

Anonymous

mc_mountain said:
if doesn't matter to anyone else then by all means delete the thread, but of the non-english speakers i know they would be glad of the advice.

all it does too me is highlight my complete lack of grammar at the moment, and all to often my poor spelling..

unfortunately the spell checker cannot identify when too and to should be used..

people will misspell, or misuse grammar. Not everyone here is as equally gifted as others, some may suffer dyslexia, some may, as i have, concentration difficulties at the moment (its interesting, i can type fine, but filling in forms and whatever really spin me out at the moment.. my handwriting has so deteriorated since last february its beyond belief - which is also why i forget to capitalise, its enough that i can type coherent sentences :D)

i think its a bit irrelevant really. But we should certainly establish, are the dislexic people here, people with writing difficulties, learning difficulties, then when we know everyone is perfect, then start complaining about too's and to's...

mc_mountain said:
as stated above mainly directed at native english speakers..

as i say, im an english speaker, and ive got better things to worry about than too's and to's..

Pesonally i find people who talk in really really long paragraphs with no line breaks annoying. I simply cannot read their posts, my eyes cant concentrate properly. But rather than saying anything, Ijust dont bother reading what they write.. :D

You can't expect perfect English on an international forum. Who cares about spelling, it's not like you don't know what they mean regardless of whether they use "to" or "too". Spelling doesn't affect (no e!) readability. As long as people are able put words into neat sentences and paragraphs it's fine.

You can't even use capitals to start a sentence, which is worse for readability than missing an "o".

Now I realise why it takes me longer to read dim's posts... :p

A

Anonymous

Ferminal said:
Now I realise why it takes me longer to read dim's posts... :p

I do go back and spell check all of my posts now.. :D And I remember to capitalise if the sentence starts with I, I just forget otherwise, and if i go back mid sentence and correct it I forget what I was erm.. dunno.. forgotten see.. :/

A

Anonymous

And please remember the dyslexics..
bm1407dyslexia-posters1.jpg

dimspace said:
I do go back and spell check all of my posts now.. :D And I remember to capitalise if the sentence starts with I, I just forget otherwise, and if i go back mid sentence and correct it I forget what I was erm.. dunno.. forgotten see.. :/

I will only point out a lacking in one's English as the last resort in a troll war :(

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
dimspace said:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

krebs303 said:
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

Very cool - how long did it take you to type though...

(thanks for taking the edge out this thread to, erm... too, which I would've very much regretted starting if it weren't for the things I've learnt as a result)

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
mc_mountain said:
Very cool - how long did it take you to type though...

(thanks for taking the edge out this thread to, erm... too, which I would've very much regretted starting if it weren't for the things I've learnt as a result)

No typing just copy and paste. It has been floating around the internet for a few years

A

Anonymous

krebs303 said:

I was able to read that at normal speed without any problems.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:

It's crazy how easy that was to read (not kidding), there must be something to that study. It probably indicates how we skim our written language rather than examine each word in detail.