• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Police in Italy arrest pro cyclist & others

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
JPM London said:
Well, it has been a while since anything really interesting happened :)
Thanks for the link - let's see what (or who?) hits the fan...

I kind of hope it's part of a bigger international investigation, but it could just be Italian police doing their regular job. They did say the 35 people they're looking at includes more cyclists. But there's an awful lot of people been named lately, and investigations, and most of all international cooperation.

Mods - we've got the sticky link for Landis investigation related stuff. I'm not sure how much conversation will come from this raid, but I didn't have any place else to post the link. Do we maybe need some type of General Doping News thread for random links like this? I've got a feeling we're going to see more. Thanks

Edit: Not sure if I missed it at first, or if they updated the story, but some details are to come out in a police press conference in Rome at 10:45.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
pity it wasn't the Guardia di Finanzia, these guys take no prisoners, more a military police force who no one messes with and are more feared than the other forces in Italy as they are primarily concerned with the monetary aspect of crime.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Benotti69 said:
pity it wasn't the Guardia di Finanzia, these guys take no prisoners, more a military police force who no one messes with and are more feared than the other forces in Italy as they are primarily concerned with the monetary aspect of crime.

Not exactly like that, they are just feared cause they get to check the monetary aspects as you said, but not so much more feared compared to others.

Anyway it was done by the NAS, an anti drug section who usually check this kind of things.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
The cyclist arrested was Enrico Rossi, brother of Vania and brother-in-law (so to speak) of Riccardo Ricco.

Susan

the irony of it is that just to the left of the article, a magazine cover with Ricco's photo and "I changed / I have changed" is displayed... ;) really?!

zs48d53f.jpg

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
la.margna said:
the irony of it is that just to the left of the article, a magazine cover with Ricco's photo and "I changed / I have changed" is displayed... ;) really?!

zs48d53f.jpg

Nice. La Gazzetta dello Sport promises updates. I guess the press conference started 25 minutes ago.

A

Anonymous

That family just make your mind boggle. You couldnt make it up. Im really trying not to laugh at what is a frankly ridiculous situation. I expect Peter Sellars to walk in any moment.

On a side note, I worry for vaconsoliel. I used to like them, but ricco, testosterone Johnny, they are turning into Mapei

A

Anonymous

Tell you summat.. I cant wait to read this weeks Toto Turns. :D

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ttrider said:
This is epic! How ****ed up is Ricco and his family

this is just business to them. they don't see it any other terms, they know they have to avoid the authorities, but that goes for lots of italian society. recently it became illegal to buy anything in italy and not to receive a receipt and if you did not get one the law states you must ask for one. to combat the black market selling that goes on and tax evasion.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
They're up to six arrests, a second amateur cyclist has been busted. The nurse works at a hospital. I'm not confident in the Google Translation, but it seems to say among the other 35 people investigated (40 house searches) were six pro cyclists and fifteen amateur.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/21-09-2010/doping-operazione-nas-711202751426.shtml

And this from Biciciclismo

A los cinco detenidos se les considerara responsables de haber formado una organización criminal dedicada al tráfico ilícito de drogas, utilizado por corredores que pertenecen a equipos de ciclismo profesional y aficionado.

Five detainees were held responsible for having formed a criminal organization dedicated to drug trafficking, used by riders who belong to professional cycling teams and amateur.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=30715

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I understand from the article in Gazzetta that Enrico Rossi will have problems squirming out of this one; he was in (possession of) a hypobaric tent, for simulation of high-altitude training. Such tents are outlawed in Italy.

What's the situation with Vania, btw? Her B-sample was non-positive for CERA, so`??? Does that mean she's back with Riccó? Oh, the conversations around the table at christmas in that family!!!Epic!
And the name of the police-operation was "Cobra-Red"!!!! Hilarious!