• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Political influence to protect dopers

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Correction, looks like Trek HQ just outside Sensenbrenner's district. Lots of jobs in his district still tied to Trek though. Trek's massive growth over the years has pretty much a 1 to 1 correlation to the media coverage of LA's TDFs.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
This is not going to go away

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...port-lance-raises-questions-article-1.1173205

“It’s hard to see why the United States Attorney’s office backed off,” said Golden Gate University law professor and dean emeritus Peter Keane. “The bottom line for both agencies was this: Was Lance Armstrong doping? So why would one agency, USADA, move forward and strip Armstrong of everything while another agency, the U.S. Attorney’s office, dropped everything?

“The U.S. Attorney will have to come up with some fairly substantial explanations as to why he didn’t go forward with this,” Keane added.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
I agree. People will be whining about Lance not being criminally charged well into the indefinite future.

But the fundamental problem with the statute of limitations remains.

No, this has been brought up before. Statute of limitations doesn't apply since individuals were active and keeping it covered up.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Zweistein said:
No, this has been brought up before. Statute of limitations doesn't apply since individuals were active and keeping it covered up.

Statute of limitations does still apply in a conspiracy case. What changes is the time at which you begin the clock. Considering the fed case has to do with misuse of government funds, its hard to imagine that the last overt act for which the feds would be charging Armstrong was at anytime other than pretty far in the past:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm00652.htm

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
In the winter of 2007/2008 german media reported about a possible doping scandal within German biathlon. Even a list of the involved athletes was published on the internet.
Only 2 days later the TV stages officialy appolgized, saying they made a big mistake and so on.
What you have to know, it was the ARD the state owned premier TV station of Germany. Most german biathletes are working for the state as soldiers or police officers.
No more explanation needed i guess

Care to explain why the austrian anti-doping agency denied that germans were involved with Humanplasma, yet confirmed investigating athletes from several other countries, including Russia, Denmark, the Netherlands and Austria? Care to explain why the lab specifically denied the rumours of german athletes when admitting to having carried out transfusions on 30+ athletes from several disciplines and nations, including austrians and while naming the organisers (Matschiner, Mayer, Kessler)? Care to explain why Matschiner denied, with "99% certainty", that any german athletes were among the ~35 athletes who visited Humanplasma, while discussing bringing BB's from HP to athletes from Italy, Russia, Netherlands, Denmark and Austria? Care to explain why we know that HP's clientele included ~10 cyclists, a handful of rowers, at least a handful of track athletes and triathletes and at least 7 austrian skiers (not on that list), which does not gel with ARD's report?

ARD made an obvious mistake, those athletes did not go to Humaplasma. They may have doped for all I know, but not @ HP. That report was wrong. Debunked.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Lol

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82577.html?hp=l13

As noted in Thursday’s New York Times, the website StandUpForLance.com was purchased by Hoagland, the chairman of Restore America’s Voice Foundation, to support the cyclist as he fights a doping scandal.

“We thought, here’s a guy getting a raw deal,” said Hoagland. “We were planning on taking out national ads.”

But now Hoagland, like many others, is having second thoughts about Armstrong’s innocence and has shelved any plans for the site.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Big Daddy said:
What are the US Congressmen saying now that the USADA evidence shows that Armstrong doped? It appears that they actively supported a doper.

From the NY Daily News article linked a few posts above, it looks like Sensenbrenner has no comment and Rubio didn't respond to a request for comment...no word about Conyers.

I'd love to see some sort of public statements out of them, but I wonder if they'll just try to let their letter/bill die quiet, embarrassed deaths instead.

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
New York Daily News says investigators are still furious with Birotte for closing the fed case. Talks about political influence and possible corruption involved.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/o-keeffe-lance-cycle-deceit-play-article-1.1189800

I wonder why nobody goes for Birotte's throat. He had the power to subpoena the guys, but USADA got their testimonies without being able to do so. Birotte is so corrupt, he makes a 3rd world dictator look like Gandhi. They should also oust all those Senators and Congressmen who had been bought by BribeStrong. This makes the worlds 'greatest country' look like the Federal Banana Republic Of Americaland.

Lukenwolf said:
I wonder why nobody goes for Birotte's throat. He had the power to subpoena the guys, but USADA got their testimonies without being able to do so. Birotte is so corrupt, he makes a 3rd world dictator look like Gandhi. They should also oust all those Senators and Congressmen who had been bought by BribeStrong. This makes the worlds 'greatest country' look like the Federal Banana Republic Of Americaland.

I think Armstrong and Birotte thought once they closed to the Federal case that USADA could go nowhere with their case.

Thats probably what Armstrong was banking on.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to know what was behind Birotte's decision. Maybe it's all above board. But... so much about it is suspicious - the timing (droping the case while agents were feverishly collecting info with the expectation that charges would be filed soon), the reported lack of consultation, Fabiani's reported conections, the attempts at political interference by Armstrong's operatives in the USADA's case, & THE FACT THAT THE FEDS REFUSED TO SHARE THEIR EVIDENCE WITH USADA.

Pazuzu said:
I'd love to know what was behind Birotte's decision. Maybe it's all above board. But... so much about it is suspicious - the timing (droping the case while agents were feverishly collecting info with the expectation that charges would be filed soon), the reported lack of consultation, Fabiani's reported conections, the attempts at political interference by Armstrong's operatives in the USADA's case, & THE FACT THAT THE FEDS REFUSED TO SHARE THEIR EVIDENCE WITH USADA.

Its very strange. Strange indeed. Armstrong was known to barter off health care to those with sick family members etc. but it had to be more than this.

Clinton?

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Pazuzu said:

It is widely known and published that Armstrong had surreptitiously used Livestrong lobbyists to pander to Congressional representatives in the USADA case. It is highly likely that Armstrong also used some sort of lobbying or political effort to persuade Andre Birotte to drop the Federal case as well. And if so, that would be very, very unethical by both Livestrong and Mr. Birotte's office.

Pazuzu said:
THE FACT THAT THE FEDS REFUSED TO SHARE THEIR EVIDENCE WITH USADA.

While I have the same questions as you do, I think the quoted part above can be explained pretty easily. USADA is not a law enforcement agency. They cannot charge anyone with a crime. As such a law enforcement agency passing around possible trial evidence probably violates some standards.

Ideally, another jurisdiction picks up the ball. But if a Clinton is watching over the case, then probably not...

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Is that even legal? To threaten to use your charity's database against someone?

Depends on the terms and conditions (T&C) of entering the Livestrong program. And whether the person consents to the use of their data, etc in the T&C.

In general USA more lenient on personal privacy than EU where privacy is huge and legally well protected.

Would need to see T&C, and interpret via local privacy legistation.