• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll: Contador vs. Froome - 2012 Vuelta

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is more likely to win the 2012 Vuelta?

• Chris Froome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's surprising so many have gone for Froome. I think I'm right in saying that only 1 man has managed to do back to back GT podiums within the same calendar year this century (Sastre). Even Bertie himself couldn't manage it last year.

I won't make a prediction on the race, only that if Froome wins, the Clinic will go nuts and this forum, led by Cineteq, will be full of thinly veiled accusations, and that if he doesn't win, this forum will take it as evidence that the 2012 Tour was devalued and that Bertie would have won by 20 mins had he been there.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
It's surprising so many have gone for Froome. I think I'm right in saying that only 1 man has managed to do back to back GT podiums within the same calendar year this century (Sastre). Even Bertie himself couldn't manage it last year.

I won't make a prediction on the race, only that if Froome wins, the Clinic will go nuts and this forum, led by Cineteq, will be full of thinly veiled accusations, and that if he doesn't win, this forum will take it as evidence that the 2012 Tour was devalued and that Bertie would have won by 20 mins had he been there.

Big difference between doing that Giro/Tour to this Tour/Vuelta but I'd agree that it should still be beyond even a clinical Froome with or without Contador in the race.

So the first part of your second paragraph is probably correct, the final part of your post is wrong though, the 2012 tour is already history, people will be more interested in talking about Conti beating all by 20 minutes in 2013. ;)

Froome, no Cav it has been announced so he'll have a team of mountain goats to assist him. I wouldn't be surprised if Bertie was at his TDF 2011 level, the guy's been through a lot...and they say you need 3x the competition time to come back completely from a suspension 6 months x3...

king of the wolds said:
it's surprising so many have gone for froome. I think i'm right in saying that only 1 man has managed to do back to back gt podiums within the same calendar year this century (sastre). even bertie himself couldn't manage it last year.

I won't make a prediction on the race, only that if froome wins, the clinic will go nuts and this forum, led by cineteq, will be full of thinly veiled accusations, and that if he doesn't win, this forum will take it as evidence that the 2012 tour was devalued and that bertie would have won by 20 mins had he been there.

ac 08?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
The Cobra said:
Froome is undroppable in the mountains! Since he started riding for himself in the second half of Vuelta last year and in this years Tour no one has been able to touch him. Froome knows all he has to do is mark Contador in the mountains then crush him in TT. :cool:

Tell me when someone crushed Contador in a TT. Regardless Froome we have seen just two great perfomances in the Vuelta'011 and Tour'012, we don't know how can he handle the leadership role, I remember when he was free to attack in the Vuelta it seemed that he would crush Cobo and he couldn't make a single gap.

Contador with the 90% of his god mode (Verbier, Etna,..) is just unbeatable :D

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The Cobra said:
Froome is undroppable in the mountains! Since he started riding for himself in the second half of Vuelta last year and in this years Tour no one has been able to touch him. Froome knows all he has to do is mark Contador in the mountains then crush him in TT. :cool:

He will drop like a bag of stones when AC goes off. On a serious note I expect AC to get better and better and Froome to get Wiese due to fatigue after the Tour. So it might start relatively equal but in the last week AC will be able to drop him big style

johnnycash said:
You lot are going to be heartbroken when AC turns up at the Vuelta and is just good, not great.

If Contador doesn't win the Vuelta I won't be heartbroken. I will be heartbroken when AC doesn't win the Vuelta and never tried to attack. If he loses he will probably still animate the race with his attacks. That's enough for me :)

I still expect Contador to win the Vuelta ofcourse.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
This thread is pretty pointless actually, given the fact that Froome and Contador
have only raced together in the 2010 Ardennes classics.
It's just very hard to estimate how much Froome has improved compared to Contador.
The only certainty(I guess) for Froome is that he'll beat Cobo and JVDB.

The most important question is whether Froome can handle the pressure of having a team built around him,
instead of his role as Wiggins' main helper.
And ofc there's the pressure of starting as one of the favourites. Imho he still has some work to do mentally.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
This thread is pretty pointless actually, given the fact that Froome and Contador
have only raced together in the 2010 Ardennes classics.
It's just very hard to estimate how much Froome has improved compared to Contador.

The most important question is whether Froome can handle the pressure of having a team built around him,
instead of his role as Wiggins' main helper.
And ofc there's the pressure of starting as one of the favourites. Imho he still has some work to do mentally.

Please explain the certainty of this? I would feel much more confident with Contador>Froome than Froome>Cobo.

Jul 21, 2010
www.cyclingquotes.com
Pentacycle said:

Elaborate please?

How would Froome "beating" either ever be a certainty? Based on what?

That the Sky train, and consequently Froome, beat JVDB in the tour? Maybe.

That Froome is better than a Cobo, who uniquely was riding the Tour to prepare for the Vuelta? Far from certain.

Froome is most certainly going into the top ten. Possibly five, and maybe even top three. But to say that he'll beat Cobo and JVDB with certainty based on this season's results....

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Opalius said:
Elaborate please?

Having seen the Tour, I just don't see Van den Broeck, who was dropped on most occasions, suddenly riding better than Froome.
Cobo is just miserable this year, even last year he had some results in his preparation.
Assuming he won't ride anything until the start of the Vuelta, he'll be far from having his 2011 shape.

And using a very tiring Tour as preparation? It's certainly not ideal, compared to the preparations done by the other Spaniards, who didn't race in July.
I don't expect big things from the three riders I named, but Froome will certainly be the best.(barring crashes, flat tires etc)

Nothing is certain in cycling but at this point it is indeed certainly more likely to see VBD2 and Cobo getting dropped by Froome than seeing *** Bertie dropping Froome...I find it amusing that those who take the later statement as obvious have no problem asking for justification for the former...that's fanboyism I guess..

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Having seen the Tour, I just don't see Van den Broeck, who was dropped on most occasions, suddenly riding better than Froome.
Cobo is just miserable this year, even last year he had some results in his preparation.
Assuming he won't ride anything until the start of the Vuelta, he'll be far from having his 2011 shape.

And using a very tiring Tour as preparation? It's certainly not ideal, compared to the preparations done by the other Spaniards, who didn't race in July.
I don't expect big things from the three riders I named, but Froome will certainly be the best.(barring crashes, flat tires etc)

Cobo finished 30th having taken it relatively easy, Froome finished second and arguably did more work that the winner yet his preparation is not questionable to you?

Froome's form one would assume will drop yet Cobo's harder to gauge which is why I find your "only certainty" comment odd.

webvan said:
Nothing is certain in cycling but at this point it is indeed certainly more likely to see VBD2 and Cobo getting dropped by Froome than seeing the no longer steak-assisted Bertie dropping Froome...I find it amusing that those who take the later statement as obvious have no problem asking for justification for the former...that's fanboyism I guess..

Har har Your really having a hard time with us 'fanboys' don't you?

It's definately no certainty that Contador will beat Froome just like it isn't a certainty Froome will beat VDB2 and Cobo.
Simply because these things can't be certain, but we agree on this.

Not sure if the other Contador fans said it was certain Contador will beat Froome though. I could be wrong, but as far as I've seen they all expect and are pretty damn freaking sure he will.
Please do correct me if someone said it was certain Contador will beat Froome.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:
Nothing is certain in cycling but at this point it is indeed certainly more likely to see VBD2 and Cobo getting dropped by Froome than seeing the no longer steak-assisted Bertie dropping Froome...I find it amusing that those who take the later statement as obvious have no problem asking for justification for the former...that's fanboyism I guess..

Is your posting some form of self loathing?

Pentacycle said:

Last year we saw Nibali getting dropped in the Vuelta by guys like Monfort. Never assume. With a GT in your legs you can perform significantly worse in the 2nd. While others do very well in their 2nd GT

TRENDING THREADS