• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll - How has your Opinion of Jan Ullrich changed since Armstrong's confession?

How has your Opinion of Jan Ullrich changed since Armstrong's confession?

• Worsened.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Unchanged. Jan Ullrich by all accounts is a very decent human being. Most cycling gurus would agree that given a dope free playing field, Ullrich would have likely dominated the Armstrong TDF era. This is based on pure natural ability and Ullrichs domination through his youth years.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
we r always told about Armstrong's sans GED vaunted intelligence, and Ullrich was just a simple guy from Rostok.

Seems we had it all @rse backwards. Ullrich's tactical brilliance was to walk away and live free from this cesspool.

irony is

ex GDR athlete free as a bird

GWBush's hate us cos of our freedom athlete, jailed on a treadmill to make more greenbacks that lose their value every second of Bernanke's monetary easing weasel word

hrotha said:
Why would it have changed? None of this was about Ullrich. We already knew Armstrong was a sociopath and Ullrich a nice guy.

Nice guys don't dope ? Plus he came though the East German dope factories. Ullrich's silence says it all. Telekom was riddled with dopers. What do personalities have to do with cheating ? Armstrong is loathed more because he never comes across as very likeable but he didn't put a gun to the head of any other dopers. They had choices. They put a place on the Tour team above anything else and they have to live with it.

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Unchanged....

.....but, what a contrast between Ullrich and Armstrong, but also people like Basso. Ullrich just got out and stayed out. Didnt try and be cynical. Didn't have the gall to do a Basso.

He maintains a bit of my respect for that, regardless of his doping.

movingtarget said:
Nice guys don't dope ? Plus he came though the East German dope factories. Ullrich's silence says it all. Telekom was riddled with dopers. What do personalities have to do with cheating ? Armstrong is loathed more because he never comes across as very likeable but he didn't put a gun to the head of any other dopers. They had choices. They put a place on the Tour team above anything else and they have to live with it.
Where did I say Ullrich didn't dope? Don't be ridiculous.

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Much improved, he has not been out in the media kicking the american now when he is down, like Virenque and so on.

Good on you Ulle!

Agree with this. Even Pevenage was blaming Lance and Johan last year for pushing Ullrich to dope.

Lance humiliated Ulle more than once, and maintaining a dignified silence now does actually speak volumes.

So, yeah, my opinion of the guy has improved.

Bratam said:
Unchanged. Jan Ullrich by all accounts is a very decent human being. Most cycling gurus would agree that given a dope free playing field, Ullrich would have likely dominated the Armstrong TDF era. This is based on pure natural ability and Ullrichs domination through his youth years.

Many cheaters are good guys. That's what happens when doping is ubiquitous in a certain sport.

"If you look back at what happened and still can't put two and two together, then you are beyond my help" - Jan Ullrich

Ullrich's response to the USP scandal

Boris+Becker+Oktoberfest+Golf+Trophy+Party+lP8hVi_ZwXPl.jpg

Cycling was something that got in the way of cakes and beer.

Only ever indirectly with the 2+ 2 quote.

I do wish that he would break omerta. If nothing else it would hopefully remove the truly odious Kloden, Rogers, Holm, Zabel, Aldag, Riis etc from the peloton if he were speak out.

I wish he'd do the right thing for once.

TRENDING THREADS