• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll on when to wait for the leader in a GT

Select each case where you think the contenders ought to wait if the leader in a GT has to stop

• Top contenders still together at an important point (e.g. 2017 Froome mechanical on Mont du Chat) bu

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • Whole pack together but at a critical point (e.g. chasing a break in last 10km of a flat stage)

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Whole pack together at a non-critical point (e.g. no real chase is on)

Votes: 61 51.7%
  • Dumoulin bathroom break in 2017 Giro (this also fits the definition of the bullet above)

Votes: 14 11.9%
  • Top contenders still together early on last climb of MTF (e.g. 10km to go)

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • A selection among contenders has occurred (some top 10 favorites left behind, not like the Mont du C

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Selection among contenders has occurred on MTF but still around 10K to go (e.g. 2003 Armstrong crash

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • 1 km to go on MTF

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

Votes: 58 49.2%

• Total voters
Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Never. How many times have we seen major contenders lose time due to a mechanical/crash in the first week and the peloton presses on?

Also, isn't the whole point of good team tactics/having a strong team being able to support a rider in critical moments?

I picked the first option, I think it's courtesy, but "never" would not be unreasonable. The unwritten rule has been broken many times recently, so forget the rule. Bobet once attacked when Gaul was taking a leak...it was a big deal then...but now is now.

If the poll asks "when they ought to", then never. If it asks when I would wait, then "Whole pack together at a non-critical point (e.g. no real chase is on)", because most likely the potential benefits don't justify risking retaliation in the future and "live and let live" would apply.

So yeah, I guess I'll vote for the first option.

Wait? Only if the racing is completely off. As in most of the time outside the last 50km but almost never within the last 10km.

Not punch it? If there's no threats up the road, it would be nice.

Attack, a la Aru/Zakarin? Always looks crass.

Re:

rick james said:
would be hearing different things if it wasn't Froome in yellow, Bertie or Quintana in yellow and Aru pulls that stunt and this forum would go into meltdown...hypocrisy at its finest
If Pinot was in yellow, I would have checked all the boxes :D. Ain't gonna happen...I know :eek: . But like we French people say: there's always next year ;) . 'been saying that for a while...man, I was young in '85. The good ol' high school days.

Re:

rick james said:
would be hearing different things if it wasn't Froome in yellow, Bertie or Quintana in yellow and Aru pulls that stunt and this forum would go into meltdown...hypocrisy at its finest
Always funny when somebody throws insults rooted on behaviour they imagined.

The trend in these here forums towards less tolerance for waiting has been noticeable for years. But ok.
edit: look, no Froome involved here!

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Only time to wait for me is if there is some outside event, like the year(was it 2011/12?) there were tacs or nails that caused punctures for several riders aside from that it's game on.

I think it should be left up to the individual as there will be plenty of chances for pay back as certain riders have discovered over the years. At least they don't attack through feed zones anymore and with so many team helpers all over the road it's probably more dangerous than it used to be. I am sure Aru would have attacked Dumoulin immediately in the Giro when he was on his roadside quick release.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I'd vote for never !!! its 2017 if we don't wait for contenders on the down hill why wait at all anymore. Hoping Aru goes all LA on somebody during a breakdown and climbs like no tomorrow.

May 11, 2017
Visit site
The 1k to go on MTF option was just put in to cover the full range of cases, that one is an obvious don't wait but I just wanted to see if a few would bite.
I forgot to list the never wait option. While I understand the simplicity and no holds barred competitiveness of never wait, I personally think it's great that some etiquette evolved over the years to support waiting in some cases like the first option when the race isn't on in any real way yet. A 3 week long effort shouldn't be wasted by a flat tire at a non-critical point with multiple teams then collaborating to make it impossible for the leader to chase back. Whereas on the last climb of an MTF I don't think anyone should wait (Ullrich was too kind).

Not sure why the polling part of this thread didn't work.