• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll: Should the Babes on Bike thread have been removed?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should the Babes on Bikes thread have been removed?

• Yes (I am a man)

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • No (I am a man)

Votes: 64 60.4%
  • No strong opinion, but I accept its removal (I am a man)

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Yes (I am a woman)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • No (I am a woman)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No strong opinion, but I accept its removal (I am a woman)

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

nowhereman said:
Irondan said:
nowhereman said:
Has Babes on Bikes been reopened again, in this forum?
No, it hasn't.
Realized this shortly after I questioned it's status. Hey, thanks for being part of the powers that be, that saved us all from that absolutely amoral thread.
The decision was not mine, it was the owners of the forum that asked us to remove it.

It's alive and well in another website, you can still view it there.

May 24, 2010
Visit site

Irondan said:
nowhereman said:
Irondan said:
nowhereman said:
No, it hasn't.
Realized this shortly after I questioned it's status. Hey, thanks for being part of the powers that be, that saved us all from that absolutely amoral thread.
The decision was not mine, it was the owners of the forum that asked us to remove it.

I know it's alive and well. I am the driving force of that page, with Thanks to Alpe D'Huez. I still think it was an idiotic idea that the owners felt the need to terminate the thread, it was totally unnecessary. But some among us need to have their choices limited, even eliminated, instead of being able to make choices of their own. Pinterest is bigger and broader than cyclingnews could ever imagine being. If they can handle the BoB thread. This site could have handled it too, based on its connection to cycling. But they made a small minded decision exercising power over an even smaller minded minority. It's laughable. :lol:

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site

nowhereman said:
Irondan said:
nowhereman said:
Irondan said:
nowhereman said:
No, it hasn't.

I know it's alive and well. I am the driving force of that page, with Thanks to Alpe D'Huez. I still think it was an idiotic idea that the owners felt the need to terminate the thread, it was totally unnecessary. But some among us need to have their choices limited, even eliminated, instead of being able to make choices of their own. Pinterest is bigger and broader than cyclingnews could ever imagine being. If they can handle the BoB thread. This site could have handled it too, based on its connection to cycling. But they made a small minded decision exercising power over an even smaller minded minority. It's laughable. :lol:

Thing is, anytime the topic of the UCI doing more to support professional women's cycling comes up, the crapstorm of apoplectic comments from male users here is pretty overwhelming. If they'd rather let it rot and look at bikini-clad women stood next to bikes, I think we can probably applaud CN for taking a stand on this, whatever the reason was behind it, and for trying to nudge us toward a cycling community that is inclusive.

And FWIW, I know my partner, who as it happens is a highly skilled web-developer (and a cyclist too), wouldn't want to work for a company that was comfortable hosting a sexist thread like BoB.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
To TheTibetanHat
My sincere respect to you, and Props to you and your partner. And that is why the thread is gone. BTW, my wife is very accomplished in the HR field, and an avid cyclist as well, and we have talked about this thread too. However, I still feel that the thread was not a sexist thread, but a celebration of the irresistible beauty of women.(although it had it's flaws at times....nothing is perfect) Whether in bikinis, in full battle gear of an Olympic cross country racer or DHer, or a triathlete or cyclocross racer. Or even a woman going out to get groceries or flowers. And they can make a fashion statement while associating with biking that is incredibly attractive to both men and women. Not only can they compete in racing just as the men do, they do it with a panache that few men can match. Beautiful in every way. But I do respect your opinion completely. I simply find it very interesting that these days many have fallen back to trying to ban all sorts of things, in an effort to make it seem like those things don't exist. Look (and I'm sure I don't have to tell you where to look) at how well that has worked with racism, misogyny, and xenophobia (and I'm not even going to touch the marijuana issue :p ) to name a few. The covers are off, and it appears that all those things were not only still in the American fabric. But shamefully enough, they are still very much alive and flourishing, but people just learned that they better covered them up, while others very naively thought we had advanced past those things. That shows you just how effectively bans really work. Instead of hardline stances, we need to attempt having conversations about differences we have. But sometimes thats just not possible. And so, BoB flourishes elsewhere. My comments just advocate Choice, that's all. A forum should be about expressing and communicating ideas. Bans on those things should only happen when things spin out of control, not when someone doesn't like the expression or opinion. We should be able to learn from others expressions and opinions, not seek to just shut them up. Just my take on this overblown issue. I hope you can understand and respect my position. Have a good one. :)

Just another assault by the Political Left on our freedom and on our culture. This survey clearly shows a radical minority are influencing events way beyond their remit. We can thank them all for the bland, homogenous, sexless, humorless world we now live in.

TRENDING THREADS