• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll: When will the next major bicycle race happen again?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

When will the next major bicycle race happen again?

• April

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mai

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • June

Votes: 33 24.8%
  • July

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • August

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • September

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 23 17.3%

• Total voters
I think if the virus doesn't get under control (weather, medicine, whatever) it will be all about econmic pressure. We can't afford to lockdown for a whole year.
A year without racing would be really bad for cycling, because teams only rely on sponsorincome and sponsors will be out really fast. The business model of the teams is really bad in suche crisis.
I can see racing happening in July without spectators. People in europe will learn to respect the requests of the governements.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think if the virus doesn't get under control (weather, medicine, whatever) it will be all about econmic pressure. We can't afford to lockdown for a whole year.
A year without racing would be really bad for cycling, because teams only rely on sponsorincome and sponsors will be out really fast. The business model of the teams is really bad in suche crisis.
I can see racing happening in July without spectators. People in europe will learn to respect the requests of the governements.
The economic gloom could potentially be the only thing to bring it back in the short-term, presuming countries open their borders.

I'm afraid people are overly optimistic about the time horizons for this pandemic.

Remember, even if every nation uses the same and most strict method to limit the spread of infection and thus flatten out the infection curve in order to relieve the health care system, it will still be a very lengthy process taking several months to get under control.

Furthermore, during the week on the radio I have heard two different experts in the pandemic say that one can probably expect another wave, a few months after the first wave - the first wave I personally expect will be stable situation sometime until late summer or so (maybe even I am too optimistic now?)

But only if each nation takes its security rules and continues to live up to them for that time. I.e strict restriction of spectators, great security on rider hotels, etc.

Edit:
Keep in mind that cycling is an open sport for spectators, so it is far more difficult to control against team sports such as football, handball, etc.
As an example, How will you prevent spectators from attending a Tour de France? In reality impossible.
So even if this second wave is not gonna happen I'll say we'll be extremely lucky to see much more cycling sport this year.
Of course it's possible that some UCI track sport events (without attendance) will persists, but this will solely be due to differences between regulations for each nation, unless UCI overrules for safety reasons.

Last edited:
Voted July. At one point countries will have to decide whether the negative effects of isolation on economy and society are bigger than the ones that Corona brings. But the races can't be organised just like bam, so I suppose still after that it will take some time until they start again, and then it probably won't be the biggest ones but rather some one-day-races. Pure speculation. :)

I have no idea so I won't vote. Nobody knows how bad this will get. Some say it will peak in July / August. Yes any vote in the poll is pure speculation. The only thing that is safe to say is the 2020 season is effectively a write off. Maybe we can look forward to the Vuelta but who knows really.

Racing will resume once the situation eases - Theoretically you could race in China in Mid April, so if measures in Europe are effective then you add two months - You don't have to wait until a country is completely clear of new infections, as there will be spot fires in the next 6 to 9 months - Of course the bigger issue is when you resume racing you pray for no positives.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
So... when racing does resume, I suppose they might have to use similar restrictions as in Paris-Nice. And that would include restricting travel, while it's probably impossible to remove crowds entirely, if there's no crazy Colombian cavalery the number of people at a race like the Tour de France would fall significantly.

2021 I guess. But this is going to get a lot worse before it starts to get better.

At least when the worst appears past then public mood and sentiment will improve notwithstanding loved ones lost. Everything is very sombre right now. Our sport is but a tiny speck on the map of humanity at this time. Interesting to read the restrictions on cyclists in Italy but to think that crashed cyclists requiring hospitalisation might take any significant resources away from potential coronavirus patients is just being silly. Bureaucratic nonsense.

2021 I guess. But this is going to get a lot worse before it starts to get better.

At least when the worst appears past then public mood and sentiment will improve notwithstanding loved ones lost. Everything is very sombre right now. Our sport is but a tiny speck on the map of humanity at this time. Interesting to read the restrictions on cyclists in Italy but to think that crashed cyclists requiring hospitalisation might take any significant resources away from potential coronavirus patients is just being silly. Bureaucratic nonsense.

It isn’t sadly. :(

Reactions: SafeBet

TRENDING THREADS