• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll: When will the next major bicycle race happen again?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

When will the next major bicycle race happen again?

• April

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mai

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • June

Votes: 33 24.8%
  • July

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • August

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • September

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 23 17.3%

• Total voters
Honestly I feel like most people are too optimistic. Like, I saw some forecasts claiming the peak of the pandemic would be around the end of May, if people don't change the way they interact with others. And that's like exactly what we are trying to prevent by the whole social distancing stuff.
Now I cannot imagine people being completely quarantined until September or something like that, just because I don't think the economy would be able to deal with that and because people would go completely nuts if they are alone at their homes for that long. But there is a huge difference between people being able to meet in small groups again and a 200 men peloton with hundreds of supporting staff members travelling through the whole world while thousands of people are watching them from the side of the road. That I just cannot see happening any time soon. I voted for July but I honestly that was pretty optimisitc. Wouldn't be shocked if this goes a lot longer.

"Careful plan to start the Giro on May 29"

The UCI and Giro organizer RCS are looking carefully at a new date.

Due to the corona crisis, a lot of big rates are looking for a new date this year. "The Giro organizer and the local authorities are working on a plan to start the Giro at the end of May," writes Dutch journalist Raymond Kerckhoffs.

Logically, one course after another is canceled by the corona crisis. De Giro decided last week to postpone the first big round of the season. But the Giro organizer RCS already dares to look forward positively.

"I have been confirmed that RCS in Italy is already working very carefully with the local authorities on a plan to start the Giro d'Italia on Friday, May 29," writes Dutch journalist Raymond Kerckhoffs in a blog post.

"On the drawing board is a round of 3 weeks, which would take place entirely within the Italian borders. The" Grande Partenza "in Budapest has postponed the organization to 2021 anyway."

"The upcoming Giro d'Italia should be an incentive to resume normal life after the coronavirus in" De Laars "."

"UCI is looking for a different date for monuments"

The main thing is the situation on Hungary, by the end of April the number of new infections in italy should be really low, so having a race one month later is not unthinkable.
I think it's not just the infections in the countries hosting the race. Like, what happens if the situation are somewhat acceptable in Italy, but Ineos can't fly there because now the centre of the pandemic is in Britain and they are all quarantined. And then there are other factors. Will riders be able to go racing if they haven't been allowed to train outside for a month. There are just so many factors making this extra complicated.

Reactions: Joelsim
Gilead and one other company have treatment in clinical testing currently with the hope of good results in early may. The other company it's a malaria drug that is currently in production with Gilead it's a drug they developed for a different outbreak. The hope is if all goes perfectly the drug can get approved and to market by May. The hopeful May time frame was mentioned on CNBC the other day. This requires everything to go prefect and get everything fast tracked. They are currently using it in Washington (state).

Here's another article. It's experimental but appears to already be being used in other viruses that are similar to this one. Hence the reason for the hope.

Here's one more:

Type: Treatment

Stage: Phase 3 clinical trials

Name: remdesivir

Background: Gilead is a longtime drug maker that is best known for developing the first major cure for hepatitis-C in Sovaldi, a therapy that changed the standard of care for that disease but also kicked off the national debate about drug pricing. The company has experience developing and marketing HIV drugs, including Truvada for pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), its preventive HIV medicine. Along with U.S. trials, Gilead is conducting a randomized, controlled clinical trial in Wuhan, testing remdesivir as a treatment for mild to moderate forms of pneumonia in people with the virus. The trial was given the go-ahead by China’s Food and Drug Administration in February.

Clinical trials:

1. On Feb. 21, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases started enrolling patients in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled Phase 3 trial evaluating 394 hospitalized patients with COVID-19 at up to 50 sites worldwide. The trial is expected to conclude April 1, 2023. Sites include the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md., (not recruiting), the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha (recruiting), the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston (not recruiting), and Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane (recruiting).

2. On March 3, Gilead said a randomized, open-label Phase 3 trial will evaluate remdesivir in 600 patients with moderate COVID-19. The trial is expected to start enrolling patients in March, with results to come in May.

3. On March 3, Gilead said a randomized, open-label Phase 3 trial will evaluate remdesivir in 400 patients with severe COVID-19. The trial is expected to start enrolling patients in March, with results in May.

They are treating in the Seattle, Washington area.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/corona...ed-with-covid-19-shot-in-clinical-trial-cure/

Plus there was a guy interviewed who has recovered from near death after his doctors used Ebola treatments. EDIT: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/remdesivir-surges-ahead-against-coronavirus/

EDIT: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/did-experimental-drug-help-us-coronavirus-patient

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS