• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll: When will the next major bicycle race happen again?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

When will the next major bicycle race happen again?

• April

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mai

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • June

Votes: 33 24.8%
  • July

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • August

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • September

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 23 17.3%

• Total voters
And now some riders and teams are complaining that it's unfair that in some countries, riders can ride outside and in others they can't, so they want a no-race period after quarantines have lifted so they can get up to speed with their training.

I have three not particularly nice words for them:

Suck it up.

When the racing can start, the racing must start.

Reactions: LaFlorecita
I expect a lot to change by summer. In my part of the world (SE Asia), the virus continues to spread but hospitals aren't overburdened and there have been few deaths. The only thing SE Asians have in common is heat. My country (Thailand) projects the peak here will be December or January. We have restrictions now on travel and large events but there's no way they can be in place until the turn of the year. The goal is to limit the influx now and then live with the virus at a manageable level.

The Olympics is tricky because many countries won't want to participate and there would be the large influx of travelers from around the world (including southern hemisphere, where the virus will increase int their cooler months). But the Tour should be doable.

Once they get the technical side right, cycling should be one of the sports easiest to do as e-sports.
Way easier at least to hold Zwift-races than play a digital football match with real football players. But do we really want to see those? Depends on how desperate we get, I suppose.

Well NASCAR is giving this a try this weekend. Some of the drivers decided to organize a race for Sunday, got NASCAR on board and they got FS1 (Fox Sports) to agree to broadcast it. It's not all the drivers, no prize money or anything just fun. If they can do it with iracing, I don't see why cyclists couldn't do it with Zwift.

And now some riders and teams are complaining that it's unfair that in some countries, riders can ride outside and in others they can't, so they want a no-race period after quarantines have lifted so they can get up to speed with their training.

I have three not particularly nice words for them:

Suck it up.

When the racing can start, the racing must start.
I spotted Jess Pratt (Canyon-Sram) back home here in Brisbane training earlier this week. I'm guessing she wants nothing to do with indoor training after all the Zwifting she did to get her contract

Well NASCAR is giving this a try this weekend. Some of the drivers decided to organize a race for Sunday, got NASCAR on board and they got FS1 (Fox Sports) to agree to broadcast it. It's not all the drivers, no prize money or anything just fun. If they can do it with iracing, I don't see why cyclists couldn't do it with Zwift.
Mitchelton Scott has run a swift series for the last two weeks.

Such a no-race period could even happen quite naturally. To give an example:
If I understand correctly, the Spanish lock-down will end on April 12. However, there is no racing for all of April, so...
I just checked the official decree and Spanish lock-down will end 15 days after its publication (14th of March). The 15 days limit is set in the Spanish Constitution. Extensions are possible, but they require a parliament vote.

Unfortunately I think the people who said 2021 at the beginning of the pandemic are right. I don't see a fast solution for sports. The spread can only be stopped with social distancing in the next months or 1-2 years. It will take time to develop rules for cycling and other sports. People will get used to prohibtions that's why I think cycling can happen without specatators, but not in the next few months.

Zwift events with pro riders will happen this year, perhaps a lot.

Reactions: Joelsim
I voted July, because I felt that corona would be sweeping across Europe, but that it could be contained relatively smoothly, so that even though Dauphine and Suisse would be cancelled, the worst days would be behind us in June, so that everything would be close to normal in July. The thing is though, that Italy is still on lockdown with no end in sight and Spain is suddenly suffering big time too...and that is just the beginning for them. Now I think that races could start in July, if the race organizers can guarantee the absence of spectators on the roads, but how is that possible to enforce? It is not possible, whereas in football (real football) you can play in empty stadiums and finish the season. On the other hand, teams need exposure to justify existing sponsorships and attract new sponsorships, so they might be insisting on racing TdF, and ASO might also have an interest in this, since people probably will in the summer holidays stay home in front of the television, meaning a lot of viewers, since EURO 2020 and Copa América are postponed. Time will tell, and we will probably know the destiny of this season by Easter.

I voted July, because I felt that corona would be sweeping across Europe, but that it could be contained relatively smoothly, so that even though Dauphine and Suisse would be cancelled, the worst days would be behind us in June, so that everything would be close to normal in July. The thing is though, that Italy is still on lockdown with no end in sight and Spain is suddenly suffering big time too...and that is just the beginning for them. Now I think that races could start in July, if the race organizers can guarantee the absence of spectators on the roads, but how is that possible to enforce? It is not possible, whereas in football (real football) you can play in empty stadiums and finish the season. On the other hand, teams need exposure to justify existing sponsorships and attract new sponsorships, so they might be insisting on racing TdF, and ASO might also have an interest in this, since people probably will in the summer holidays stay home in front of the television, meaning a lot of viewers, since EURO 2020 and Copa América are postponed. Time will tell, and we will probably know the destiny of this season by Easter.
No government will allow any sport until public services aren’t under pressure anymore, or until there’s no risk from travelling. That won’t be this season, if we get a full season next year I think we’ll be lucky.

Been thinking a little - dangerous, I know - and I think two steps might be necessary in order to allow cycling under the current circumstances.

Step 1, make sure nobody gets in. By "in" I mean "into the area". For the TdF that would probably mean no foreigners travelling to France, and nobody driving cross-country, basically; if it requires in anyway sleeping outside your home it's a no-no!

Step 2, make sure nobody gets out. On the day of the race, people - who doesn't have work - need to just... stay at home, and those who are at work should stay there. Don't even walk down-town to see the race; if you can't see it from your own home, sorry, not this year. In order to maintain a little bit of celebratory feeling - which I think people are gonna need - it could even be an idea to encourage people to make personal displays/banners.

Oh, and the caravan would probably need to not hand out stuff.

Some countries might still restrict tourists in July. I'd be shocked if business travel (including teams and associated personnel) is prohibited in France then.
Even if there are restrictions, teams could arrive over two weeks in advance, get tested and quarantine before the race.

TRENDING THREADS