• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll: When will the next major bicycle race happen again?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

When will the next major bicycle race happen again?

• April

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Mai

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • June

Votes: 33 24.8%
  • July

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • August

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • September

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 23 17.3%

• Total voters
Really offtopic, but when i was in Thailand i felt like people were very deferential to authority at least where it mattered to them personally, particularly religion and the royal family, but police also and even other people in uniform (like train conductors); politics i don't know.

It's not singapore or hongkong, but i think thailand will deal with the epidemic efficiently, especially considering how important tourism is for the economy.

Really offtopic, but when i was in Thailand i felt like people were very deferential to authority at least where it mattered to them personally, particularly religion and the royal family, but police also and even other people in uniform (like train conductors); politics i don't know.

It's not singapore or hongkong, but i think thailand will deal with the epidemic efficiently, especially considering how important tourism is for the economy.

Being deferential in public and actually doing as instructed are 2 different things. But, yes, we should do comparatively well because of what I mentioned in my original post... hot, humid weather with direct sunlight.

Not major races but Thai domestic events (such as BMX) have been rescheduled to May. As of now our next NE-level cycling cup race is still on the schedule for 23 April. Not sure if it will be rescheduled or not.
Vietnam's biggest cycling event (the 23-stage Ho Chi Minh City TV Cycling Cup) might be rescheduled from April to August... not sure if official yet.

Sorry to say but it's 2021.

Europe is mostly the center of major competitive cycling and there iis no recovery for it before pandemia calms down and after that what is left is destroyed European economy.

In these days Italy may clear peak of disease, but Spain, France, Germany etc. are just accelerating long and hard. This just takes so damn long and it's awful.

Sorry to say but it's 2021.

Europe is mostly the center of major competitive cycling and there iis no recovery for it before pandemia calms down and after that what is left is destroyed European economy.

In these days Italy may clear peak of disease, but Spain, France, Germany etc. are just accelerating long and hard. This just takes so damn long and it's awful.

This + also lot of countries in Europe are actually in a startegy to prolong the epidemic period to avoid massive peaks that would crash the healthsystem. I expect the special conditions to last far past summer in many countries. The major organizing countries is one thing, but we won't get the riders into the competition from the countries still in lockdown mode.

Voted September, but it feels now too positive. I assume we see 2nd wave of the virus starting around that time.

Its already shifted from China to Europe but the major problem is US. Since the US is the largest economy and the most linked country, unless the resolution is done there nothing is likely. Now they look to be going the way of Boris Johnson's herd immunity strategy in 2 weeks. Normalization will be after mass production of vaccine.
The US are gonna get hit, and they're gonna get hit hard. Really hard. It's devastating to think that the UK and the US still believe in the herd immunity strategy. In all likelihood it won't work.

In regards to cycling, and when we will see the first major bicycle race happen again, I originally voted July, but now I too think that that's too optimistic. I fear that we won't see any racing until next year. Most countries now try to suppress the virus - except some countries who still think they can just mitigate it - and once it's under control, the number one priority will be to keep the R0-value below 1, and I don't see any large sports events being allowed under those circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea how the world will look like after Corona. I think it's impossible to just go back to any kind of normality that we are used to. The economic and political consequences will probably be IMMENSE. So right now I cannot imagine any scenario. Of course will all want to know, but right know I don't think it makes any sense to make any plans except for those that have to because it's their responsibility.
Nonetheless I also think that the Tour will have absolute priority for everyone in male pro cycling. It's THE thing for sponsors, nothing else comes remotely close.

Reactions: spalco and yaco
The US are gonna get hit, and they're gonna get hit hard. Really hard. It's devastating to think that the UK and the US still believe in the herd immunity strategy. In all likelihood it won't work.

In regards to cycling, and when we will see the first major bicycle race happen again, I originally voted July, but now I too think that that's too optimistic. I fear that we won't see any racing until next year. Most countries now try to suppress the virus - except some countries who still think they can just mitigate it - and once it's under control, the number one priority will be to keep the R0-value below 1, and I don't see any large sports events being allowed under those circumstances.

Had to edit out some your post due to political implications.

The herd immunity strategy was pretty much canned here in the UK last week as all bars, pubs, restaurants, cinemas ect were closed, followed by a lock down on Monday where you can only leave the house to go to work, if it is essential, or do food shopping and get medicine, keeping 2 metres apart from others not in your household.

As for racing, its looking more and more likely that my prediction of June is going to be way off. Maybe August-September if lucky, but more likely 2021.

Had to edit out some your post due to political implications.

The herd immunity strategy was pretty much canned here in the UK last week as all bars, pubs, restaurants, cinemas ect were closed, followed by a lock down on Monday where you can only leave the house to go to work, if it is essential, or do food shopping and get medicine, keeping 2 metres apart from others not in your household.

As for racing, its looking more and more likely that my prediction of June is going to be way off. Maybe August-September if lucky, but more likely 2021.
No problem. Sorry about that, I wasn't aware of the rules for those kind of things.

Reactions: Pricey_sky

TRENDING THREADS