• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poor tactics from Sky? Was Wiggins Selfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I was disappointed with team Sky's performance during Friday's Vuelta stage. Wiggins should have attacked hard at the bottom of the climb, and tried to force Cobo to follow. Instead he just seemed to ride tempo and everyone sat on his wheel. When Froome attacked it was far too late and too near the summit. You could see that Wiggins was riding well within himself, especially if you compared his efforts to Igor Anton's futher up the climb.

If Wiggins had attacked, and got clear, he could have possibly time trialed to the finish, if not, Froome would have stood a better chance of jumping Cobo. Sure Menchov would have helped in the chase, but there were so many fans near the top it would have put Geox under pressure.

If I was the complete cynic, I'd guess that Wiggins was riding for his third place rather than riding for Froome.

a) Why do we need a new thread discussing this when there is clear already one running?

b) Why do you believe that Wiggins is an explosive rider who could jump away on the climbs when all previous evidence suggest that the best way he can attack is by riding tempo and dropping riders one by one?

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
because the climb was too short for riding tempo. He could be explosive if he wanted to, but it might have jepordised his third place. The situation didn't warrant a 'tempo' climb.

Ill just post both questions again.

a) Why do we need a new thread discussing this when there is clear already one running?

b) Why do you believe that Wiggins is an explosive rider who could jump away on the climbs when all previous evidence suggest that the best way he can attack is by riding tempo and dropping riders one by one?

Status
Not open for further replies.