• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Popovic: how I was chased by the fbi and your own stories

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Popovic: how I was chased by the fbi ?
http://translate.google.com/transla...y-gonyalos-fbr-41581&sl=ru&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

a little jumbled machine translation but some bits come out clear and confirm many previously leaked details. He also comes across as a very worried man, ‘this does not add to mood and even now our telephone conversation is bugged’.

-he was first approached during a pr stunt and then intercepted by the fbi agents on the way to hotel
- his deposition lasted 90 minutes. the same questions (about salary and weather he saw armstrong dope) but from different angles.
-when in italy, he was first secretly followed by the carabinieri and then pulled over at 220 kmph. the arrest involved 3 cars with 4agents in each. All on fbi’s tip.
-after being questioned at the police station, they proceeded to search his home for 3.5 hours and confiscated 2 cell phones, 2 laptops and one computer. he does not expect to see it back.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
python said:
Popovic: how I was chased by the fbi ?
http://translate.google.com/transla...y-gonyalos-fbr-41581&sl=ru&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

a little jumbled machine translation but some bits come out clear and confirm many previously leaked details. He also comes across as a very worried man, ‘this does not add to mood and even now our telephone conversation is bugged’.

-he was first approached during a pr stunt and then intercepted by the fbi agents on the way to hotel
- his deposition lasted 90 minutes. the same questions (about salary and weather he saw armstrong dope) but from different angles.
-when in italy, he was first secretly followed by the carabinieri and then pulled over at 220 kmph. the arrest involved 3 cars with 4agents in each. All on fbi’s tip.
-after being questioned at the police station, they proceeded to search his home for 3.5 hours and confiscated 2 cell phones, 2 laptops and one computer. he does not expect to see it back.

why not? must contain evidence of doping if that is his opinion.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
Not necessarily; the Italian justice system is not known for it's quickness. Even if there's nothing incriminating on it I'm not surprised it could take a long time for that stuff to be returned.

You have to be careful or you'll get banned for "insulting nations." That's why I was banned by the petty and arbitrary moderators in here who make up their own policies as they go along.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
You have to be careful or you'll get banned for "insulting nations." That's why I was banned by the petty and arbitrary moderators in here who make up their own policies as they go along.
Take your lumps and STFU. Please. :)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Yeah, if you have just shot a cop or something. What did Popo do to worry about? According to the official version of the story, anyway?
That's 137mph! :eek: Must have been pretty serious. Either that or something has been lost in translation somewhere.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:

Your qualifier here as the Italian "justice system", so you did not insult the nation, (just their justice system). Had you generalized that for all of Italy, then I think you'd have something to fear.

hrotha said:
Yeah, if you have just shot a cop or something. What did Popo do to worry about? According to the official version of the story, anyway?

Well, if he did do something to worry about - and he felt someone was after him - then the right, gangsta thing to do would be to step on it...

... If you then were the fuzz following someone who suddenly bolts, then you'd probably think he had reason to do so and would prob step on it too.

That is, if he ever did anything to warrant that behaviour...

BotanyBay said:
Your qualifier here as the Italian "justice system", so you did not insult the nation, (just their justice system). Had you generalized that for all of Italy, then I think you'd have something to fear.

and if Hein V can talk that way about the US system, then surely a forumer can do the same about the Italian ditto :)

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Unable to get to the article.

Interesting that he has spoken on the topic at all. From his view, does he act the victim? Does he profess any innocence or is it simply a rough summary?

I wonder if Popo will be on the Radioshack roster for Tour of California, or any other USA races?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
he was clearly under a serious suspicion and surveillance. i can only think of one reason - suspected drug trafficking.

according to his own version, he just returned to italy after a stop over in monaco. he recognized faces of some carabinieri when they arrested him. his car was secretly followed for a while and was thoroughly searched upon arrest.

i surmise, the carabinieri were tipped off about a possibility of drugs in the car and either popo got scared and tried to run or he was speeding so much that the cops thought he was trying to get away with something 'valuable'. either way, 12 cops for a lonely speedster sounds disproportionate. they were as i said likely just on the anti-drug prowl, bugging and etc..collecting evidence the fbi likely asked for.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
Unable to get to the article.

Interesting that he has spoken on the topic at all. From his view, does he act the victim? Does he profess any innocence or is it simply a rough summary?

I wonder if Popo will be on the Radioshack roster for Tour of California, or any other USA races?

Typical deer in the headlights reaction by Popo.
If he is a bad boy wouldn't all his cell/computers be at the bottom of the Caspian Sea providing habitat for sturgeon?

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
python said:
<snip> either way, 12 cops for a lonely speedster sounds disproportionate. <snip>

Sounds like the usual Carabineri "overkill" - had a bunch of 8 of them stop me when riding up the main road into Bormio a few years ago - four of them with what looked suspiciously like Uzi or similar light machine-gun/machine-pistols...... As if I was going to try a "Popo" on a bicycle up the Gavia or Stelvio:)

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
A few bus loads of us were headed to Livorno on NATO travel Orders and they waited til we were in a tunnel and pulled all 4 buses over at once. Nothing like a 3am face to face meeting with the caras and they hadn't had that first cup of coffee. Then they followed us all the way there.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
It appears Popo forgot the part about how they found more then computers in his house and he is now co-operating with the investigation.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
GreasyMonkey said:
Sounds like the usual Carabineri "overkill" - had a bunch of 8 of them stop me when riding up the main road into Bormio a few years ago - four of them with what looked suspiciously like Uzi or similar light machine-gun/machine-pistols...... As if I was going to try a "Popo" on a bicycle up the Gavia or Stelvio:)

You just haven't lived until you've had a face-to-face with a local law enforcement officer who happens to be armed with a machine gun. To the uninitiated, it can be "memorable".

Race Radio said:
It appears Popo forgot the part about how they found more then computers in his house and he is now co-operating with the investigation.

The Italians are nuts on immigration. Popo knows he's from the East and they'll send him and his hot wife back to the salt mines if he doesn't corporate. The Italians don't want Lance or Popo. They want Michelle. The infamous Dr. No.

GreasyMonkey said:

Yeah, I always hate that when I'm smuggling goods too... They're so insistent!

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
You just haven't lived until you've had a face-to-face with a local law enforcement officer who happens to be armed with a machine gun. To the uninitiated, it can be "memorable".

The LAPD was enough for me on a trip to the States.

Word to the wise: don't put your wallet under the driver's seat. And, if you happen to get pulled over for speeding on the way to the velodrome, make sure you're clear about what you're reaching for under the seat.

The gun-in-the-face screaming routine ("hands on the wheel, muthafuka!") can be daunting... if not pant-ruining...

JMBeaushrimp said:
The gun-in-the-face screaming routine ("hands on the wheel, muthafuka!") can be daunting... if not pant-ruining...

You must have tun into THIS guy...

samuelljackson.jpg

TRENDING THREADS