• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Popovych denies

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Popovych denies what was written in the SI article

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/popovych-denies-sports-illustrated-details

However the reasoning in certain aspects seem suspect and does not appear to have been either translated correctly or was very sloppy statement by the lawyer,

Prime examples:
“It is also not true that the police found evidence of links between Armstrong and Dr Ferrari. That’s because the electronics expert who has been asked to study the contents of two laptops and two mobile phones has still to submit his report to the magistrate Benedetto Roberti.”

They have not found anything because the report was not yet submitted, really bad formulating of an argument for a public statement by a lawyer

and:
that performance enhancing drugs were found in Yaroslav’s house when the Italian police carried out the search last November.”

Really not the type of formulation that would make a lawyer clear his client in the public opinion

Yes, being innocent it would be a lot easier simply saying stuff like "I have not had any connection with Ferrari ever, so obviously none has been found".

Saying "we're keeping our fingers crossed they don't find anything, but we don't know yet" or "It's not fair they make it public knowledge when they haven't even told us yet" is a bit worse in my book as well...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
What's so wrong with the second truncated quote? Seems like a pretty standard reaction after a cyclist's house was searched.

same as David Millar's in Nice when Brailsford slithered off leaving him there on his own:D

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
What's so wrong with the second truncated quote? Seems like a pretty standard reaction after a cyclist's house was searched.

Nothing was found at that exact point in time, th way it was formulated leaves open the possibility that if they had come at a different time something would've been found and that just irks me, not because it might or might not be true that he had stuff lying around at a different time, the lawyer should not've left such a thing open if you want to come out and clear your client, this way you retain the doubt. I firmly believe he should've stopped after 'no performance enhancing drugs were found'

A

Anonymous

I think what's happening is the beginning of the 'end-game' in the whole Armstrong affair. It's a bit like that phoney Iraqi general that denied everything right up to the bitter end, only for it to go horribly tits-up.

Not long to go now, me thinks!

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The point is, you can lie all you want in such a statement to the press.

Then why would you formulate it so strangely that it is left open to interpretation and hidden meaning? Probably it lost a bit in translation or maybe the lawyer is very inexperienced with such things.

Anyway, I wouldn't try to read too much into it. There's no truth hidden in some weird formulation, because there's no obligation to tell the truth to the press in the first place.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
The point is, you can lie all you want in such a statement to the press.

Then why would you formulate it so strangely that it is left open to interpretation and hidden meaning? Probably it lost a bit in translation or maybe the lawyer is very inexperienced with such things.

Anyway, I wouldn't try to read too much into it. There's no truth hidden in some weird formulation, because there's no obligation to tell the truth to the press in the first place.

As I said in the opening post:
However the reasoning in certain aspects seem suspect and does not appear to have been either translated correctly or was very sloppy statement by the lawyer,

My intention never was to read too much into the statements, but the formulation just annoyed me :p

This probably underscores the information gap between Popo and his lawyer, and the FDA/Feds/Italians. The latter may not have shared with the former what it in fact has found or may have intentionally gave them the impression that they were all clear to see if he resumes his contacts. The SI article seemed pretty clear on what it found, so if what Popo says is true, one would think there would be a threat of a lawsuit by Popo--which hasn't materialized yet.

All speculation on my part at this point....

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i bet Popo had some choice words from Hog and Uniballer today then left his phone of the hook and headed to the bank to transfer as much of his money back to his homeland:D

I honestly wonder if these guys appreciate the diffeence between a wink, wink "investigation" by their Federation, ADA, or the UCI and one undertaken by a federal government (especially one with absolutely no concern for the health of cycling as a national past time).

It's almost as if they're waiting for the call to come in detailing how much it will cost for the whole mess to go away because that's "how these things are always done".

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
I honestly wonder if these guys appreciate the diffeence between a wink, wink "investigation" by their Federation, ADA, or the UCI and one undertaken by a federal government (especially one with absolutely no concern for the health of cycling as a national past time).

It's almost as if they're waiting for the call to come in detailing how much it will cost for the whole mess to go away because that's "how these things are always done".

that presumes they are jock type athletes who live in their sport and dont look outside of it except for the hookers and blow:rolleyes:.

hard to believe they are like that especailly after so many riders have been done.

David millar must have served as a big warning not to keep stuff at home, but keep it in the mother in laws in a fridge in the attic or garage.

Popo lives in Italy and must ride a lot with other Italian pros. he cant be that dense. I mena the Italians have been cracking down lately so why be that stupid, cause he's with Lance:D

Kennf1 said:
The main thing I took away from the lawyer's statements is "Popo is not worried ... the Italian legal process is slow."

True, but what about the US legal process? I mean, they're the ones after him or what he knows. According to the article, "Italian police and customs officials acting at the behest of agents of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration" served the warrant.

As a Ukrainian national, living in Italy, what is the possibility that Popo could be extradited to the US on international drug trafficking charges (extreme, I know)? It's not like the Italians will feel any sense of loyalty towards him, so unloading him might be in their best interest.

They've already shown quite a bit of cooperation with an investigation being carried out on foreign soil by a foreign government. Even without extradition, being named as a co-conspirator and found guilty in absentia would still sorta screw him over, no matter where he ends up living.

Just food for thought...

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
True, but what about the US legal process? I mean, they're the ones after him or what he knows. According to the article, "Italian police and customs officials acting at the behest of agents of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration" served the warrant.

As a Ukrainian national, living in Italy, what is the possibility that Popo could be extradited to the US on international drug trafficking charges (extreme, I know)? It's not like the Italians will feel any sense of loyalty towards him, so unloading him might be in their best interest.

They've already shown quite a bit of cooperation with an investigation being carried out on foreign soil by a foreign government. Even without extradition, being named as a co-conspirator and found guilty in absentia would still sorta screw him over, no matter where he ends up living.

Just food for thought...

The most recent extradition treaty I can find is a 1983 treaty, however this is probably still in force seeing as it remains in the UN treaty database

The exact articles of consequence:
ARTICLE I
Obligation to Extradite
The Contracting Parties agree to extradite to each other, pursuant to the provisions of this Treaty, persons whom the authorities of the Requesting Party have charged with or found guilty of an extraditable offense.

ARTICLE II
Extraditable Offenses
1. An offense, however denominated, shall be an extraditable offense only if it is punishable under the laws of both Contracting Parties: by deprivation of liberty for a period of more than one year or by a more severe penalty. When the request for extradition relates to a person who has been sentenced, extradition shall be granted only if the duration of the penalty still to be served amounts to at least six ir-cnths.

2. An offense shall also be an extraditable offense if it consists of an attempt to commit, or participation in the commission of, an offense described in paragraph 1 of this Article. Any type of association to commit offenses described in paragraph 1 of this Article, as provided by the laws of Italy, and conspiracy to commit an offense described in paragraph 1 of this Article, as provided by the laws of the United States, shall also be extraditable offenses

In short he can be extradited from Italy, now if he goes back to the Ukraine, this can change, but for the exact notion of that I'll need to find that axtradition treaty, since I would expect there to be one

Apparently I was wrong, the Ukraine has no treaty which means that there is no obligation to extradite, however it can still happen but this would be on a case to case base and is not likely to happen in thics case.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
As I said in the opening post:

My intention never was to read too much into the statements, but the formulation just annoyed me :p

Yeah, I agree with you.

ETA: about a possible extradition. Countries are usually quite protective about their own citizen. But they usually don't care much about foreigners. In that respect, Popo (as a Ukrainian) living in Italy, should be concerned. It's a bit like the situation with the Wikileaks guy Assange (an Australian) living in the UK and fighting extradition to Sweden and possibly the US. But cycling season has finally started with a bang, who cares about general politics. Panem et circenses.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Yeah, I agree with you.

ETA: about a possible extradition. Countries are usually quite protective about their own citizen. But they usually don't care much about foreigners. In that respect, Popo (as a Ukrainian) living in Italy, should be concerned. It's a bit like the situation with the Wikileaks guy Assange (an Australian) living in the UK and fighting extradition to Sweden and possibly the US. But cycling season has finally started with a bang, who cares about general politics. Panem et circenses.
Popo's wife is Italian, think she might be a daughter of the owner of Vini Coldirola or Cantino Tollo, so he is pretty set with a rich daughter. Still likes to play around when he is at races tho.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
Popo's wife is Italian, think she might be a daughter of the owner of Vini Coldirola or Cantino Tollo, so he is pretty set with a rich daughter. Still likes to play around when he is at races tho.

Cantina Tollo is in the Abruzzo region? Does Popo not live in Tuscany?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I don't know the specifics of this case, but people have been known to move from one area to another, some of us (like Popovych and me) from one country to another.

Susan

for sure. I was born in the southern hemisphere, grew up on the western edge of europe and now live in the central mediterranean region but when Daddy owns a Cantina one does tend to stay close to the business( and money) as in Italy these get handed down to the children.
:D

TRENDING THREADS